Overeating

Options
I thought eating salmon cooked in my air fryer was healthy. However, it has a lot of calories, despite being high in protein too.

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a fatty fish, but it's got a lot of omega-3 fatty acids which is considered a healthy fat. While it may be fattier than some other fish, overall it's lower calories than most other meat dishes.

Are you eating it fresh (I'm assuming)? Or was it processed in some way (like a pre-sauced/pre-seasoned frozen meal? If it's the latter you might want to look for salmon with nothing extra added. The extras might be the thing upping the calories.

If you're on a low-fat diet you might have to stick to smaller portions, eat it more sporadically, or change it out for a lower fat fish, depending on your daily allowance.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,285 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can say salmon isn't high calorie, honestly. Healthy, sure, but still high calorie.
    (Salmon being a 'free' food in WW therefore makes zero sense to me)

The salmon I buy is 220 calories/100gr, that's a whopping 440 calories for a 200gr piece, which is my standard size for meat, between 1.5 and 2 times more than the other fish and meat I eat.

My way of 'dealing' with that is to have it with tons of (non starchy vegetables) and perhaps a small quantity of boiled potato, that way I compensate for the high calories of the salmon and still arrive at a reasonable calorie count for my meal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Yes, salmon migrates a huge distance through the ocean into the river where it spawned. It needs that energy, hence a high fat content. My normally serving for meat and fish is 100gr, with lits if veggies, and potatoes, rice etc on the side. Makes me full and leaves me happy.
  • yirara
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, salmon migrates a huge distance through the ocean into the river where it spawned. It needs that energy, hence a high fat content. My normally serving for meat and fish is 100gr, with lits if veggies, and potatoes, rice etc on the side. Makes me full and leaves me happy.

What I got out of this is that salmon eats their exercise calories back. :)

It's more like front-end loading as some type of salmon just die after spawning. :#
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I don't understand how someone can say salmon isn't high calorie, honestly. Healthy, sure, but still high calorie.
    (Salmon being a 'free' food in WW therefore makes zero sense to me)

The salmon I buy is 220 calories/100gr, that's a whopping 440 calories for a 200gr piece, which is my standard size for meat, between 1.5 and 2 times more than the other fish and meat I eat.

My way of 'dealing' with that is to have it with tons of (non starchy vegetables) and perhaps a small quantity of boiled potato, that way I compensate for the high calories of the salmon and still arrive at a reasonable calorie count for my meal.

I suspect it's the fat content your having a problem with and the fat in meat in general. Can't blame you really considering that's been the storyline drum beaten for probably most of the time people have been living today. The salmon I buy is around 160 calories for 100g's. I'm not a particular fan of farmed Atlantic salmon for health reasons maybe look at alternatives choices. I like sockeye.

Considering 100 of those calories are protein and regardless of how vigilant someone is to remove fat out of their diet, we do need some, and the fat in salmon are particularly needed (essential) and considering how often people eat salmon or fish in general, maybe once a week but probably less it's a good source of dietary fat. Even if someone and probably more important is, if someone is eating a low calorie diet (1200 being the default around here) something as healthful as salmon with the nutrition it provides is probably a good thing considering most people are eating those more tasty foods with far less nutrition. I don't count calories so I might not have the same perspective and of course I have my biases as well, so just getting that out there.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    I don't have many other salmon options here (Belgium), at least not easily available.

I have nothing against fat, least of all healthy fats. But my meals are generally around 600-700 calories and if I stick to the amount of fish/meat I'm used to when eating salmon for dinner (200-250gr), that salmon takes a huge chunk out of my calorie budget for dinner (compared to for example a chicken fillet or cod) and I need to be aware of what I pair my salmon with OR have a lighter lunch OR have a lower calorie day later on. Or have a smaller portion of salmon (but often that's not practical considering the standard size of a package of salmon in my supermarket).

Weight management is a matter of calories and high fat foods, no matter how healthy, carry a bigger 'calorie punch' that needs to be taken into account. I'd love to eat salmon every day as a 'free food' as per WW, but I don't think my scale or waist-line would agree :tongue: (or my bank account, but that's another matter)

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I suspect that the lack of variety is demand driven, basically there isn't much which is interesting considering Belgium has a North Sea coastline. Yeah for weight management it's about satiation and not feeling hungry and calories really don't have a lot of weight in my world. Viva la difference. cheers
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just have smaller servings of salmon and include more veggies sides with it
  • Lietchi
    Options
    I suspect that the lack of variety is demand driven, basically there isn't much which is interesting considering Belgium has a North Sea coastline. Yeah for weight management it's about satiation and not feeling hungry and calories really don't have a lot of weight in my world. Viva la difference. cheers

High fat foods don't fill me up at all :wink: so yeah, it's all highly personal.
  • yirara
    Options

High fat foods don't fill me up at all :wink: so yeah, it's all highly personal.

Yeah, here too. Fat means flavour though 🤣
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    People with minimum diet knowledge think low calorie foods are what healthy food is without understanding why some foods are higher in calories and extremely healthy at the same time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Biffa747 wrote: »
    I thought eating salmon cooked in my air fryer was healthy. However, it has a lot of calories, despite being high in protein too.

Calories don't have anything to do with whether or not a particular food is "healthy". A calorie is just a unit of energy and how much energy is provided by a particular food. Salmon is a very healthy food. It is one of the best sources for Omega 3s, it's packed with protein, and it is rich in vitamins and selenium.

There are numerous foods that are high in calories and also rich in nutrients. Conversely, there are numerous foods with minimal calories and also minimal to no nutritional value.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Biffa747 wrote: »

Salmon IS healthy. I wish you'd given more details, for example, how many ounces or grams did you eat and what database entry did you use.

Here on the east coast of the US I'd likely get Atlantic salmon, so would use this entry: "Fish, salmon, Atlantic, wild, cooked, dry heat." I'd have a 100 gram serving, plus a starch and non starchy vegetables, for example, rice and broccoli. (and butter.) The fish would be 182 calories, of which 25 would be protein. That's completely acceptable to me.

Add 100 g each rice and broccoli, plus 8 g butter, and I would have a meal I find very filling, for less than 400 calories. (I do like my meals on the smaller side, and eat lots of them.)

9hg9qjhbyqn4.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yeah, here too. Fat means flavour though 🤣

Icky flavor, mostly, in my world. ;)
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Big advocate for wild salmon here, vs farmed salmon. Farmed salmon is cheaper on your budget, but for those of you who have a market choice of farmed or wild salmon:

Source: Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials Nutritional content:
    "And although farmed salmon may have more omega-3 fatty acids, it also has more than double the saturated fat content — and that's not fat you want, notes Zumpano. The bottom line: Wild salmon gets the edge for having fewer calories and less saturated fat. Feb 17, 2022 "

Also this read is good for nutritional breakdown: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/wild-vs-farmed-salmon#Wild-caught-salmon-vs.-farmed-salmon