Is L-carnitine making me smell?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It can take awhile for products to clear out of your system. It's not instantaneous. Give it a week.
  • champagne4lulu
    champagne4lulu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, update time. Good news thankfully!

My partner says the smell has decreased considerably. He can still smell it but it is faint. So I guess it's slowly leaving my system. I last took it on Thursday and it's now Sunday morning.

I've been drinking liquid chlorophyll and apple cider vinegar. Also peppermint tea and green tea and lots of water, sometimes with lemon. Eating clean and foods like berries, Greek yoghurt(probiotics), fruit, nectarines, oranges etc. showering about 3 times a day.

God I hope it's just the l-carnitine and it's leaving my system. There's also a disorder called trimethylaminuria which is similar and exacerbated by diet (meat, eggs, coffee, alcohol) all of which I haven't had.

Let's just hope it's the carnitine. God I hope so!! It would be unlucky if it wasn't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yaaay. What a relief for you :smiley:
  • champagne4lulu
    champagne4lulu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yaaay. What a relief for you :smiley:

I so hope so!! Now my paranoia is kicking in big time. I keep asking him if he can smell anything all the time and I hope he isn't just saying it to shut me up lol. But he did say he would tell me the truth. No point in NOT saying anything now that he's already told me about it.

So let's hope so. I still don't want to leave the house or see/talk to anyone. I'm paranoid everyone is staring at me and talking about me, that they can smell it.

This has really messed with my head and been so traumatic. I just want to feel normal again.
  • Kadieherrin49
    Kadieherrin49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Was this ever solved from years ago?? I’m experiencing something similar
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Yes, L-carnitine does cause a fishy body odour. And this supplement doesn't really do a lot for people who don't have a cardinite deficiency due to certain inborn metabolic diseases. It has shown to regulate blood glucose a bit. But at the same time widens blood vessels, thus could be problematic for people with orthostatic hypotension.
  • Kadieherrin49
    Kadieherrin49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any idea how long it lasts before the BO goes entirely away? It’s frustrating being nose blind, because you don’t know when it goes away if you have no one you trust to ask
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any idea how long it lasts before the BO goes entirely away? It’s frustrating being nose blind, because you don’t know when it goes away if you have no one you trust to ask

It should go away once you stop taking it. It literally provides zero benefit.
  • stellylpj
    stellylpj Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I experienced the same thing. I took it about 3 weeks. My husband was away at work and when he returned he noticed a strange smell. He suggested it may be my new supplements. So far it’s been five days off of the supplements and he says the smell is gone. Anyone ever heard of it coming back?
  • 10byfaith
    10byfaith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dang. Now I'm wondering if I could have the smell. I'm not dating anyone, but I guess I could ask my daughter if she smells anything odd. Had a crazy thought about your bf saying this and it's probably untrue - he wouldn't be saying this still to be mean or manipulative, right?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Carnitine supplements doesn't really provide anything special. Your body produces it. If you feel you lack it, up your vitamin C.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png