Feeling food.

Options
I am trying to balance my nutrition with how much I eat. I want to hear opinions of foods that keep you feeling full.

Replies

• 8syr4pfpcx
    8syr4pfpcx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find that prioritising protein really helps keeping me full for longer. Pair it with a carb for energy and a small portion of fats. Protein is key at every meal, if you are a meat eater the options are endless (chicken, beef mince, tuna, salmon, Greek yogurt etc).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Rice, breads, potatoes keep me full. Seriously, everyone will say something else because we're all individuals with individual bodies. You can try everything people write here, but in the end you need to figure out what works for you.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Fat is generally considered to be the most satiating of the macros, and it definitely works that way in my case.

I have long been a notorious food addict (carb addict mainly) binge eater with a huge appetite. Everyone is different but in general carbs are notorious for making people hungrier. There are metabolic reasons for this that have to do with blood glucose and insulin, so it affects people differently and some people can be very negatively impacted by blood sugar spikes due to carbs.

Since I changed to a high fat/low carb diet, my blood sugar is more stable, and I'm not very hungry anymore. I rarely eat my max of 1500 calories. Usually I fall somewhere between 1100 and 1300.

At most I eat 2 meals-- sometimes just one, though I will try to have a snack too whether hungry or not if my calories aren't over 1000 for the day.

I rarely get cravings or hunger pangs between meals anymore. If I do, I nibble a bit of fat-- some butter, some avocado, or maybe a snack with no sugar added nut butter-- and the hunger goes away for hours.

It really astonished me because I'd gotten to the point at which I never thought I could go without cravings or hunger or feeling like I was unsatisfied or missing out on something. I never thought I'd have peace of mind if I gave up the foods I was addicted to.

Turns out, giving them up and raising my dietary fat intake was the solution. I just eat my meals and I don't actually want anything else. It's very liberating.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people know what junk food and ultra processed foods are, yeah, don't eat those. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    For me, ample protein spread through the day plus volume at some point. For me, the volume is mostly veggies/fruit, usually more at dinner for convenience but timing of the volume doesn't matter to me for satiation.

Fat is zero satiety for me. Carbs don't spike my appetite (at least not the carb foods I routinely eat).

Timing can matter for satiety, too - different variations for different people.

I need to eat a solid breakfast early or appetite will overtake me later in the day.

I have less cravings for calorie-dense sweets if I eat more fruit.

I do better if I snack if I feel hungry with a meal not on the schedule soon, but others do better if they put snacking off limits totally.

Many people find less-processed foods more filling than highly processed or refined foods. I do.

Experiment. Notice when you personally feel more or less sated. Look for patterns that give you clues: What you ate, when you ate, how you slept (fatigue spikes appetite), stress level (stress triggers fatigue), over- or under-exercise, boredom, the influence of habit, emotional triggers, etc.

You can figure it out, if you stick with it.

Best wishes for success!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just "real" food. I can't say that any particular macro makes me feel full or conversely leaves me hungry. I eat plenty of carbs (rice, potatoes, legumes, lentils, pasta, etc) and they don't leave me feeling hungry or anything, especially when they're eaten with an actual meal. Like last night I made a lentil stew with Italian sausage, potatoes, and other vegetables...it was very filling all the way around despite "carbs". A steak with roasted potatoes and broccoli...also vey filling. Boxed mac and cheese or a muffin or doughnut for breakfast...not so much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Fat is generally considered to be the most satiating of the macros, and it definitely works that way in my case.

I have long been a notorious food addict (carb addict mainly) binge eater with a huge appetite. Everyone is different but in general carbs are notorious for making people hungrier. There are metabolic reasons for this that have to do with blood glucose and insulin, so it affects people differently and some people can be very negatively impacted by blood sugar spikes due to carbs.

Since I changed to a high fat/low carb diet, my blood sugar is more stable, and I'm not very hungry anymore. I rarely eat my max of 1500 calories. Usually I fall somewhere between 1100 and 1300.

At most I eat 2 meals-- sometimes just one, though I will try to have a snack too whether hungry or not if my calories aren't over 1000 for the day.

I rarely get cravings or hunger pangs between meals anymore. If I do, I nibble a bit of fat-- some butter, some avocado, or maybe a snack with no sugar added nut butter-- and the hunger goes away for hours.

It really astonished me because I'd gotten to the point at which I never thought I could go without cravings or hunger or feeling like I was unsatisfied or missing out on something. I never thought I'd have peace of mind if I gave up the foods I was addicted to.

Turns out, giving them up and raising my dietary fat intake was the solution. I just eat my meals and I don't actually want anything else. It's very liberating.

Very subjective...potatoes have the highest score on the satiety index for example.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find protein will help me feel full faster. Fats keep me feeling full longer. Carbs may fill me up for a very short period of time, but within an hour I am hungry again. When it comes down to it, what makes a person feel full is very individual, so what works for me likely won't work for you. For that matter, it was not until I switched to a keto diet for specific health reasons that I really saw how my body reacts as I did the standard advice of higher carbs with fiber, moderate protein, and low fat for a very long time, but always struggled with being hungry. Not any more.
  • MacLowCarbing
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Very subjective...potatoes have the highest score on the satiety index for example.

I don't believe I said it applies to everyone, though there are some biological facts revolving around the connection between hunger, insulin, and blood sugar you can look up.

I'm pretty sure I said this was my experience, though, and the experience of some people like me.

The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine, like everyone else here.

Lol sorry but the satiety index makes me laugh with potatoes at the top, just from an anecdotal POV. Every overweight person I know goes overboard on potatoes. One interesting study showed teens who ate potatoes more than once a week were more likely to be obese. I have one bite of potatoes and I can't stop eating them. Even potato chips have a joke "betcha can't eat just one."

I'm skeptical of it on a data-driven level, too. They checked to see if people were still satisfied 2 hrs. after eating something; but 1-2 hrs after a meal is when the blood sugar is still spiking. Drops after spikes tend to come 2-4 hours later.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't believe I said it applies to everyone, though there are some biological facts revolving around the connection between hunger, insulin, and blood sugar you can look up.

I'm pretty sure I said this was my experience, though, and the experience of some people like me.

The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine, like everyone else here.

Lol sorry but the satiety index makes me laugh with potatoes at the top, just from an anecdotal POV. Every overweight person I know goes overboard on potatoes. One interesting study showed teens who ate potatoes more than once a week were more likely to be obese. I have one bite of potatoes and I can't stop eating them. Even potato chips have a joke "betcha can't eat just one."

I'm skeptical of it on a data-driven level, too. They checked to see if people were still satisfied 2 hrs. after eating something; but 1-2 hrs after a meal is when the blood sugar is still spiking. Drops after spikes tend to come 2-4 hours later.

I don’t find potatoes filling, but I’m pretty sure they are talking about plain boiled potatoes with no additives. They are a lot easier to eat with butter and cream
  • MacLowCarbing
    Options
    I don’t find potatoes filling, but I’m pretty sure they are talking about plain boiled potatoes with no additives. They are a lot easier to eat with butter and cream

Boiled potatoes have the same affect on me as potatoes in any other form-- they awaken the beast. When someone is a carb-addict, or a diabetic, or insulin-resistant, or has hyperinsulinemia, etc. -- this can be especially problematic.

On St. Patrick's Day I used to help cook a big dinner for a lot of people, the potatoes were just boiled w/seasonings, and we had to account 2-3 potatoes per person and they always went.

Of course, these are anecdotes, not evidence of anything-- but it's partly what rouses my suspicion of these kinds of studies. Esp. because epidemiological studies, esp. with self-reporting surveys, are the least reliable type of study-- and while they can prove a correlation, they cannot prove causation.

But that's just the point-- if potatoes were so satiating, they should satisfy people no matter what they put on them. Maybe it's not so much that they're satiating as it is that people get bored more quickly of plain potatoes.

Anyway, once again I remain skeptical of this kind of data, whenever you look at how the studies were conducted you can always find flaws (as I pointed out, I found one straight away).

It's almost as if someone designed the parameters of the study to make a point they want to make, instead of to really trying to be open-minded to see what happens.

A lot of dietary studies are sponsored by companies/organizations that have a certain desired outcome in mind and it's pretty well known you can tweak your study parameters to help it toward that desired outcome.

• bh602019
    bh602019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Certainly, if you want to feel full and satisfied, consider foods that are high in fiber and protein. These include:

1. Whole Grains: Foods like oats, quinoa, and brown rice are rich in fiber and can help you stay full longer.

2. Legumes: Beans, lentils, and chickpeas are excellent sources of protein and fiber, promoting fullness.

3. Lean Proteins: Chicken, turkey, fish, tofu, and lean cuts of meat are high in protein and can help control hunger.

4. Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are packed with healthy fats and fiber, keeping you satisfied.

5. Fruits and Vegetables: Choose fruits and vegetables with high water and fiber content, like berries, apples, and leafy greens.

6. Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt is rich in protein and can be a filling snack.

7. Eggs:Eggs are protein-rich and can help reduce appetite.

Including these foods in your diet can help you maintain a sense of fullness and support your nutritional goals. Remember to also stay hydrated, as drinking water can help control hunger.
  • Pattymac5000
    Pattymac5000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great suggestions!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,140 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17824197/
    The official is protein, then carbs, last fat.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10403587/
    Another vote for mostly protein, but not by a landslide. Looks like fat is good also.

As for me, I used to follow the volume-eaters thread for ALL the hints and recipes. Now I look for low volume high nutrient-dense foods. Not only are people different, but each person differs according to what's going on in their life.

• MacLowCarbing
    Options
    You have to watch the studies, because often they know what results they're going for when they design them.

For example, they'll compare a plant-based diet to a meat-eating diet and declare plant-based is healthier; the problem is they're not comparing a health-conscious plant-based to a health-conscious meat based diet usually. They usually are comparing a health-conscious plant-based diet to a standard poor diet that happens to include meat.

Likewise with the satiety studies-- they'll compare someone who eats whole grains and high veg to someone who eats crappy, fatty foods.

Contradicting that are a lot of recent studies showing low carb diets are more satiating than low fat.

Controlled study (not epidemiological survey):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4873405/

Investigation into types of fats on satiety (also finding that combining fats w/carbs are the lowest satiating, which is likely why fats have been considered less satiating in other studies)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53550/

Another controlled study suggesting higher carb diets cause hunger than lower carb:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916523234358

It's good to look at all sides and even then, be skeptical of the results and see what works better for you. It's very easy to find out what is more satiating to you-- go a couple weeks on a high protein diet and lower your carbs & fat; go a couple weeks on a high fat diet and lower your protein & carbs. Go a couple weeks on a high carb diet and lower your protein & fat. By the end of 6 weeks you'll know what balance of macronutrients for you are the most satisfying and you can begin designing your meal plans based on those results.