How do you stay motivated when you travel?

Options
I'm visiting India for a month. Every time I've traveled in the past, I've gained pounds. I want to avoid that. :'(

I've put in a lot of work in my weight loss efforts and, in fact, just broke a plateau after hard work.

I've been disciplined with my yoga routine in the morning and have been walking regularly. I'll probably join a local gym in India, so I don't lose the momentum.

Today was the first time I ate some sweets and I'm worried I'll spiral like last time and end up gaining 10 pounds.

I could use some tips and motivation to stay focused and dedicated while I travel.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Keep logging your food every day, even when/if you have to guess.

As far as sweets, I can't help you there. I have a hard time quitting once I let them back in. Maybe limit it to one dessert per week. That seems to work for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    If eating food prepared by others, personally I'd be more concerned with fats/oils than sweets. The sweets are in your control (though I understand that that's hard). The fats maybe aren't in your control, plus they're hard to see in the food, very calorie dense, and IME some Indian cooks like to generously use the ghee. ;)

As far as motivation: Sometimes prelogging helps people with perspective. If not possible to pre-log, maybe at least pre-planning how much on roti/rice or the like that you'll eat, which desserts or sweets you can live without, focusing on the more veggie-dense dishes, etc.

Best wishes!
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are spot on about oils/fats. I watched my mom pour three spoons of oil on my dosa (Indian crepe) yesterday, and I was shocked at how much oil she uses. lol

Thanks for the tips.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can’t offer any other advice apart from what has been said above…

I’ve recently come back from Ireland…and obviously the Irish like to drink 🍻

So I thought I would do my weight loss when I come back..
    I was surprised considering the amount of alcohol I did drink plus the cheesecakes I had after my dinner I only gained 2lbs
    I weighed myself before I went and when I came back!

I’ve got a cruise next year all inclusive and I’m dreading it because £66 a day for all the food you can eat and all you can drink needs to be money well spent! 🙈
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Aunties are a problem. You probably need to practice having a full plate and pretending to eat out of it because as soon as it's empty...

PS above is cultural hearsay however, it is based on real life examples of friends observed at weddings!!!!🤣
  • copperhair
    copperhair Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a three week vacation with my daughter and family in Vancouver. She LOVEs to take us out to wonderful restaurants and eateries while we are there. We also took a 7 day Alaskan Cruise in the middle. I was SO scared!
    I decided [ especially for the cruise]- that if I was sensible about my three meals every day- that I could order dessert once a day! IT WORKED! I stayed the same weight! We did approx 14,000-18,000 steps each day we were away- so I guess it evened out!
    Do your best and if you must indulge- choose wisely or just limit the portion to a tablespoon or two. Good luck and please enjoy your time away
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I'm visiting India for a month. Every time I've traveled in the past, I've gained pounds. I want to avoid that. :'(

I've put in a lot of work in my weight loss efforts and, in fact, just broke a plateau after hard work.

I've been disciplined with my yoga routine in the morning and have been walking regularly. I'll probably join a local gym in India, so I don't lose the momentum.

Today was the first time I ate some sweets and I'm worried I'll spiral like last time and end up gaining 10 pounds.

I could use some tips and motivation to stay focused and dedicated while I travel.

So many people here have mentioned having some water weight after traveling, especially when air travel was involved. Perhaps plan to not weigh yourself for a week after you return. The day you return, go right back to your weight loss habits.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't my issue. It's WHERE or HOW I can workout. I bring my suspension trainer with me on travel in case I can't find a gym nearby. I workout on vacations, travel, and even if I have to work remotely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If eating food prepared by others, personally I'd be more concerned with fats/oils than sweets. The sweets are in your control (though I understand that that's hard). The fats maybe aren't in your control, plus they're hard to see in the food, very calorie dense, and IME some Indian cooks like to generously use the ghee. ;)

That's what makes Indian food so delicious! And why I gave up all the fads and plans and went back to calorie counting, so I could make sure I could enjoy some delicious ghee laden palak paneer and goat korma now and then. OP, I think I would struggle in India - I would eat ALL THE THINGS.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    What's OP? Is it the original poster? :D

• BodyTemple23
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can't eat all I want.

Last year, I lost 10 pounds and gained all of it and some more within two months of my India trip. It's taken me a whole year to lose that weight.

I can't spiral like that. OMG, it's been so hard. Never again! :'(
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the food is one of the essential elements of my travels.

My strategy: stay active and skip meals when possible/appropriate. For example: when staying at a hotel, breakfast is often very elaborate - I will have a small snack instead of lunch to tide me over and then eat dinner. Depending on the context (for example with friends or family), it's often easier for me to simply say no to something, than to tell myself I will only take a little bite (because it often turns into more than a little bite).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    What's OP? Is it the original poster? :D

In the post above your question it did indeed mean "original poster." It can also mean "original post."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If your worried about what sweets will do to you, why did you eat some today? Anyway I've been to India for months at a time and generally come back weighting less but I was moving around more, always on the go and I normally work out and play sports and still lost weight. I don't count calories and I'm lower carb as well so it was challenging. Nevertheless I ate twice a day until I was full, mostly from street vendors or small outdoor restaurants and snacked on fruit and green salads mostly, 3 or 4 times a day and did have the coconut ice cream right out the coconut more than once and beer. The urge to consume everything in sight then having the overwhelming feeling to continue is mostly a sugar/hormonal thing, be aware of that I'd say. Also, anytime I overate at a particular meal, I knew I was doing it, and if I did it again and then again, I knew I certainly wasn't going to be losing weight. Everyone is different though and obviously some people have to be data collectors and count their calories in order to maintain or lose weight and if that's you, then I'd say record what you ate in approx sizes and proportions and if you carry a scale use that and also weight yourself every few days and make adjustments weekly if your numbers aren't adding up and hopefully this whole eating business doesn't distract you too much from you visit.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot. I still track and try to keep it under control. If I’m visiting family or friends and I know they will try to add helpings to my plate, or make specialty meals, etc. I skip breakfast or a meal before or after i see them to conserve calories.

• HardtoMaintain
    HardtoMaintain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! It’s really hard to choose healthy meals when you’re on vacation. I personally like to enjoy “fun foods/treats” when I’m on vacation. I agree with the other replies. Maybe skip breakfast, eat the bulk of your calories at lunch together with your fun foods for snack and then choose a lighter/healthier meal for dinner. Don’t eat all the sweets in one sitting. Substitute with fruits. If you ate some sweets, then maybe pay for it by doing an alternating walk/jog instead of just walking. But..,always be kind to yourself. Life’s too short to not have fun, moderately. Keep exercising.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult - especially if the food is delicious, cooked with love etc etc

So last time 2 months meant 10lbs perhaps 2 lbs of which was water weight (I agree with the suggestion to wait a week after you come back before weighing yourself ..)

So one month is potentially 4 lbs or roughly 1 pound a week, or 3500 too many calories, ie 500 a day. Easily done….

So I suggest:

Really strict on the less rewarding meals or meals more under your full control (for me that is usually breakfast…and any lunches eaten solo)

As much exercise as you can muster - walk places, keep moving, yes go to the gym

Portion control is your friend. No doubt you will be offered or see lots of food - try to keep your portions actively modest, and to decline ‘seconds’.

Keep your hands away from the nibbles (often deep fried) and away from the trays of sweets - sit on them, use them to make things, whatever helps to stop mindless/habitual over eating here.

Try not to drink calories (or things that aggravate/encourage a sweet tooth) - eg water not coke/Diet Coke.

Eat slowly - savour each lovely mouthful and give your tum time to get the ‘I am full’ signals going

And enjoy yourself - what a wonderful opportunity.

Good luck!

• BodyTemple23
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I will be ugly crying a few times here, so I stay on track. :D