Help with low carb diet

Options
clink0313
clink0313 Posts: 10 Member
Hello! I started a low carb diet a week and a half ago. I'm only down 4 pounds. I am eating what I should and exercising every day. Neither is the norm for me and I am getting frustrated. I need food meal ideas and encouragement. Also, how many carbs are you eating per meal?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    There is nothing 'only' about 4 lbs in 1.5 weeks. That's quite a steep rate of loss.
    So the issue is in your mindset/expectations...

PS You don't want to know how many carbs I'm eating per meal, I'm not into low carb at all (between 225 and 275gr of carbs per day) 🙂
  • clink0313
    Options
    Yes, I was expecting more. Usually, for me the most weight comes off the first week of a diet. I guess most of it is water weight. When I've done WW in the past I would lose 5 or more in the first week. The change to low carb is a drastic change for me and I'm eating about a third of what I would normally eat so I thought there would be a bigger change in weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    clink0313 wrote: »
    Yes, I was expecting more. Usually, for me the most weight comes off the first week of a diet. I guess most of it is water weight. When I've done WW in the past I would lose 5 or more in the first week. The change to low carb is a drastic change for me and I'm eating about a third of what I would normally eat so I thought there would be a bigger change in weight.

there are two things to consider here. You write "Usually", which sounds like you try something and then give up. Don't try to lose weight as fast as possible and then return to old habits. Find a sustainable way of eating that sticks with you, forming new habits. Don't do low carb if you think you will stop again once you've reached a certain weight. Eat the way you want to eat for the coming years. If you don't make it a habit now and get frustrated with a way of eating you will likely regain because you've not learned anything.

And secondly: like the others have said, you are expecting too much. Look again what the maximum healthy weekly weightloss goal is on MFP. Why were you expecting more, even if it's just water? Water means nothing for weightloss, body fat does.
  • Lietchi
    Options

And do you usually also start exercising daily too? New exercise is well-known to cause water retention for muscle repair.

As has been mentioned: the word 'usually' seems to indicate repeated efforts but not achieving your goal (or achieving it and then gaining it back).
    One key to success is patience and consistency. Two weeks is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Successful weight loss and maintenance is a lifelong thing, temporary changes are unlikely to be a good basis for that - if you think low carb is a good long-term strategy for you, go for it. But if you only want to do it to lose weight and then 'go back to normal eating', I would recommend that you reconsider because even if you manage to keep it up till you reach your goal, you're likely to gain it all back afterwards.
  • clink0313
    Options
    I use the word usually because in my lifetime, I am 57, I have done WW three times. I did each for a year to two years. I kept the weight off for years. I have now gone through menopause and everything is harder. I am now on a low carb diet per my doctor for health reasons. I had hoped the forum was about encouragement.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Well, we didn't know it was for health reasons (we get many people here who do low carb because they think it's a magic way to weight-loss etc).
    I'm sorry if we came across as harsh, it's was wel meaning advice, based on partial information.

And we did encourage you: you've lost 4lbs in 1.5 weeks, which is great progress. I personally don't feel you should change anything at this point, if your perception of slow progress is your only frustration. You just need to adjust your perception and try to be more patient. Look at a timezone of at least one month to judge your progress.

If you have other reasons to be frustrated (feeling very hungry or deprived etc) we're more than willing to help, but we would need some more info (personal stats, calorie intake, activity level/ exercise, what your diet looks like at the moment,...).
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I also eat low carb and have gone through menopause although I am a bit older, I find that it has helped. You mentioned meal ideas! I have found for me that protein, and non - starchy vegetables is primarily what I eat. ( I do though include some rice, potatoes and black beans because I love them! )

So for example for lunch I may eat canned sardines (in oil but drained) or tuna with a arugula and tomato salad. Or left over protein from the night before. Later I may snack on a banana and some walnuts. For dinner, I may have a steak, hamburger patty, chicken thighs, salmon, etc. I’ll add a hot vegetable like green beans or spinach or kale…with a small scoop of rice, beans etc. I do measure and use a scale. I also found that by not going fat free at the same time is a good thing. Olive or avocado oil are my go to fats. All in all I don’t go over 50 grams per day and if I am truly hungry, I eat more protein. I hope some of this helps, you are doing great and those who haven’t shown you support…well ignore! Best!!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi. I do low carb/high fat.

I'm 54, and I'm type 2 diabetic for the last couple of decades, though I am on the verge of reversing it, I've gotten off almost all of the meds.

For me low carb didn't click until I also upped my fat intake. I found it really hard to do low carb without the high fat but I still worried about the claims that dietary fat is bad for you. After doing research and finding those claims had little merit, I added the extra fat and it did wonders.

The low carb/high fat combination keeps you satiated, you eat a lot less without trying. I'm rarely hungry now, no more cravings or binges. In fact some days I struggle to get my calories over 1000 because I'm not hungry, I have to add some butter or something just to not go to low.

I only eat about 19 net grams of carbs per day, which is about 5% of my diet. I eat 25% protein and 70% fat.

It helps that I gave up anything with added sugars-- like ketchup or pre-packaged foods and sauces. The only sugars I eat are in the form of fruit and veggies, or the natural sugars in unsweetened dairy. Sometimes I treat myself to an artificial sugar treat but this is occasional.

I also gave up grains-- bread, corn, rice, pasta, etc. I know a lot of people love their grains but they are not a necessary part of the human diet. You can give them up just like some people give up meat and others give up dairy-- it's simply not necessary, We can get everything we get from grains from veggies and fruits. Often with people who struggle with carbs, or carb-aggravated conditions, grains are the biggest culprit.

If grains trigger hunger cravings, if you find yourself not wanting to stop eating them, or if the idea of going without them stresses you out, try giving them up for a month to see if it makes a difference. If it makes no difference, just start incorporating them again. But you may be surprised.

I thought I would miss them and go nuts without them, but it's not a problem because the fat is satiating enough. If I really really miss bread or pasta or something I'll make a substitute like flourless bread or zucchini noodles or cauliflower cheesy rice.

• clink0313
    Options
    MacLowCarbing very enlightening. I will try to up my fats and see what happens. Doc suggested 30-40 carbs per meal. I have been coming in much lower than that. I'm not having any sugar or grains. Eggs, veggies and meat are my usual and an occasional piece of fruit. I love bananas but she said only 1\2 on occasion. I am prediabetic and have high cholesterol. I am trying to get my numbers down and eat right so I don't need meds. Thanks for commenting, so helpful.
  • clink0313
    Options
    FlowersForJulia, thanks for the food ideas and the support. I am eating much more carbs. Doc recommended 30-40 per meal and two snacks of 10 each. I am doing much lower though. Probably around 50-60 per day. To be honest I am not eating as !ICU protein as she suggested when looking back at my records on here. I'll have to adjust. Thanks again.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    @clink0313, first off I agree with the others that you shouldn't set your expectations too high for quick weight loss. The older you get the harder it is to lose (in my experience anyway). Focusing in on what you eat instead of focusing on what the scale says makes a huge difference. Experiment with your macro settings and find something that works for you, we are all different. Some people who are not prone to diabetes can eat a lot of carbs, and sometimes do not understand that a lot of people cannot eat that way.
    I agree with @MacLowCarbing, I am also type 2 diabetic, and until this year had a hard time controlling it and losing weight. The diet I received from my Dr., diabetes educators and nutritionists all recommended the Diabetes standard diet of 40-45 g of carbs per meal, that never worked for me. I had to find a way that did work for me.
    In April I decided I was going low carb and focus on what spiked my blood sugars and then reduced/avoided them. Controlling my sugars became more important than anything else. My version of low carb is to keep my carbs below 100g, which allows me to have a reasonable amount of fruit, which are my sweet treats. My calorie limit is 1200-1300, but most of the time I have to look for something to eat just to meet my calorie needs because I am not hungry. I am sure many will say I can eat more calories than that, but right now this all works for me.
    I don't eat most grains and starchy vegetables, no added sugars, very few processed foods, because most of them have sugar in them. I do eat low carb bread and tortilla's occasionally since they also help me get the fiber I need. Almost all of my cravings have disappeared, and I am not hungry all the time. My A1C went from 12 to 6, my diabetes medications have been cut in half, and I have lost 38 pounds since April 1.

Finding a healthy balance of the foods you eat is necessary, but it requires a focused attack on what works and what doesn't FOR YOU. The weight loss will come, but it is really not the ultimate goal, your health is. Exercise also helps, but it is not necessary to spend hours on it. Good luck!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    MacLowCarbing very enlightening. I will try to up my fats and see what happens. Doc suggested 30-40 carbs per meal. I have been coming in much lower than that. I'm not having any sugar or grains. Eggs, veggies and meat are my usual and an occasional piece of fruit. I love bananas but she said only 1\2 on occasion. I am prediabetic and have high cholesterol. I am trying to get my numbers down and eat right so I don't need meds. Thanks for commenting, so helpful.

The Dr. & nutritionist at his office had me on that too. That didn't work for me either, too many carbs spike my blood sugar regardless of the source, I was getting nowhere with it... except cravings, lol. Because having a slice of whole bread or a potato or a bowl of oatmeal just stirred my appetite and never felt like enough.

Personally, I don't know how they call 30-40 g of carbs per meal low carb; that's like 90-120 g. per day, right? That sounds pretty average carb at the very least, not low carb. Recommending that many carbs to diabetics seems really ridiculous to me now.

It's like they're saying, "Here, we know these will spike your blood sugar, but they have some good things in them too, so eat them."

My thoughts are now, "Why should I eat things that spike my blood sugar when I can get the few good things in them from other sources that do not spike my blood sugar?"

I mean, I'm no medical expert. I'm just sharing experiences here. But I just wanna throw out there that you might consider playing around with your macros, particularly going lower carb. It's not like it'll hurt and if you find it unnecessary you can always raise them again.

Also might want to do some research into cholesterol as this is one area where the data has always been flawed. The recommendations have been on flawed data and the standard procedure has become to just prescribe statins, which have such a low effectiveness rate they're barely worth risking the potential side effects.

Some Drs on YouTube I watch give some insightful counter-info. Like one thing I learned is that LDL isn't all "bad" cholesterol; there are actually 2 kinds of LDL and only one type is harmful.

Of course you always have to do your research, don't just take any single doctor's word for it (be it your own or the ones on YouTube); but these are some of the data and arguments that rarely get heard because they contradict the current preferred narrative:
    Dr. Ken Berry
    Dr. Eric Westman
    Dr. Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc
    Dr. Boz

They'll point out studies and experiments you can do further research on to help you decide what course you wanna take.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, I have NEVER had a big water weight loss the first week or two of a diet.

If your exercise is new, you could be retaining water from that. When I started weight lifting again some years back, I GAINED 7 pounds initially.

Today, I'm up three pounds from just a few days ago, and I know it's water weight, probably from all the time I've spent last week digging holes and filling them. (I'm working on a new garden.) Or ovulation, which would be weird because I'm almost 57.