Morning Sickness that lasts all day

Options
16w pregnant and still have nausea all day. I’m feeling concerned about my diet consisting of frozen fruit, yogurt, cheese and whole wheat carbs. The carbs mostly consist of my diet and I’m gaining weight too quickly (15-20# gain needed in my pregnancy and I already gained 7#).

Any meal ideas that are simple and not offensive to my sensitive senses?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a child's preferences about food is governed by the flavours he has been accustomed to in amniotic fluid and during breastfeeding. I had a girlfriend who only ate grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate during a pregnancy who now has a child that will only cheese and chocolate.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/apr/08/child-food-preferences-womb-pregnancy-foetus-taste-flavours
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Gosh....that's a hard one for sure! When I was pregnant, I too suffered from days of sickness all day...But I lost weight because I could only stomach saltines and chicken broth.
    I guess just do what you can handle, just get through it, and know it's not forever. Hugs
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You should really have your dr. set you up with a nutritionist, however you didn't mention protein... are you getting enough protein? Fat & protein are important when you're pregnant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Do discuss with your OBGYN.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the nausea pressure point bracelets? They sell them at pharmacies. They do help some with nausea. Most people have luck with high protein, bland, or cold food to head off nausea. My sister lived on ginger ale and crackers though. She found it would settle her enough she could eat her regular diet. Ginger and carbonation both help with stomach upset. If you want to add protein, try cold versions of meat (such as chicken) as they will be less upsetting to the nose and stomach than hot meat.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    My answer to morning sickness was to eat the things that tasted better coming back up (sweet things). And since they weren't necessarily staying down long enough to count, I never worried about it. Eventually (after 5 months) it went away. Good luck!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Gosh....that's a hard one for sure! When I was pregnant, I too suffered from days of sickness all day...But I lost weight because I could only stomach saltines and chicken broth.
    I guess just do what you can handle, just get through it, and know it's not forever. Hugs

Ditto to all of this. I really struggled with it, too. Super demoralizing. I also lost weight because of not keeping much down. My OB said nutrition requirements are a lot more important in populations where baseline nutrition is poor to start with. For healthy women with nutritional needs all met before morning sickness, just do what you can to get through your day. Definitely talk with your OB about it.

Hang in there. I promise it gets better.