Is BMI a realistic measure?

Options
I am right at the low edge of my healthy BMI, but I still want to lose a few more pounds. Should I really give that much credence to BMI numbers, or should I stick to my goal? Any thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The "B" in BMI stands for bullshirt as far as I am concerned. If I were "healthy" according to BMI, people would think I was an Auschwitz survivor. (no offense intended)
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options
    Calculating your BMI just by putting in a few statistics of yourself isn't very accurate. There are other things to consider...density of bones, etc. A professional can sometimes provide a more accurate BMI for you. You probably know your body better than a computer spitting out average results to you, so I say go by that unless you want to see someone who can give you a weight goal to strive for.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No its worthless.

Body builders are considered obese by their BMI :p
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I encourage folks to research beyond just wikipedia obviously, however the BMI was never intended to be used as measure of healthy weight. Please note the links that mention how up until the late 1990's, a healthy BMI extended up to 27.8, before they arbitrarily decided to lower it to 25.

A much better measure is body fat percentage... After all, being less jiggly is what we are all about :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
  • wbgolden
    Options
    A much better measure is body fat percentage... After all, being less jiggly is what we are all about :)

that.
  • sassyN1989
    Options
    does anyone have something online that would be a little more accurate?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't put a lot of "weight" into the BMI calculator. However, I think if you go below what they think as normal, you're getting to be a little too thin.

This from someone with a 19.7 BMI (I'd look like a boneyard if I went under the 18 low end of normal).
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    The "B" in BMI stands for bullshirt as far as I am concerned. If I were "healthy" according to BMI, people would think I was an Auschwitz survivor. (no offense intended)

The first time I lost weight, I was teetering on the very fine line between "average" and "overweight". I was weak, had dark circles under my eyes, and felt nauseous half the time.

I would definitely talk to a professional about it before you go ANY lower. You don't wanna look like the walking dead!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • esloanpa
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will look into other forms of measuring and reconsider my goals. :smile:
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Definitely this.

There is power to be gained by convincing normal people that they are obese.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You mean the BSI. Totally do not go by that. It's a joke.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I looked at the body fat percentage I needed to be considered athletic - I'm aiming for 18%, less than 10% from where I am - I figured out that my goal weight was way too low. If I I actually achieved my goal weight of 140 pounds, within a "healthy" BMI, I would have lost 30 pounds of lean muscle! Instead, I adjusted my goal to 175 to maintain the muscle mass I have and I'm only focused on losing 20 pounds of body fat. When I get there I'll re-evaluate.
  • ELeeBenson
    Options
    I was told that the BMI formula was developed by insurance companies, and is not really a true reading of your body fat. I have had a body analysis performed by a professional and it shows my body fat to be 13.3%, well within my recommended range of 12-15%. My BMI calculates out to be 30.5 and that is obese! Go figure!
  • badcarmine40cal
    Options
  • badcarmine40cal
    Options
    I think it's bull myself! it said that I should weigh 162 for healthy! I would look like a refugee from a prison camp!!!!
  • wbgolden
    Options
    I think it's bull myself! it said that I should weigh 162 for healthy! I would look like a refugee from a prison camp!!!!

That's exactly what I "should" weigh. lol
  • zombiekitty13
    Options
    use your measurements... it's better, i've found :)