Cultural Issues and Weight Loss/Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I come from a Mexican family too. Everyone is overweight to obese except for my father and my grandpa on my father's side. Few of my relatives have diabetes too. Of everyone I am the only one that has lost weight and reversed my diabetes too. Reversed as in I used to have diabetes and now I don't.

I don't get pressured to over eat @ gatherings. I try a little of everything @ family gatherings, keeping my portions in check. I don't say no to anything except soda pop or really really spicy food. Spicy food doesn't upset my stomach or anything I just don't like it. lol. On the occasion I do enjoy myself and over eat I don't stress about it and just bust my butt w/excercise the following day.

Oh and I get lectures alright, nothing to do with eating or fitness. They are all happy and proud for me. I get the "when are you gonna get a "novia/casado"(girlfriend/marriage) ? lecture instead. lol
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I come from a Mexican family too. Everyone is overweight to obese except for my father and my grandpa on my father's side. Few of my relatives have diabetes too. Of everyone I am the only one that has lost weight and reversed my diabetes too. Reversed as in I used to have diabetes and now I don't.

I don't get pressured to over eat @ gatherings. I try a little of everything @ family gatherings, keeping my portions in check. I don't say no to anything except soda pop or really really spicy food. Spicy food doesn't upset my stomach or anything I just don't like it. lol. On the occasion I do enjoy myself and over eat I don't stress about it and just bust my butt w/excercise the following day.

Oh and I get lectures alright, nothing to do with eating or fitness. They are all happy and proud for me. I get the "when are you gonna get a "novia/casado"(girlfriend/marriage) ? lecture instead. lol

LOL yes, they forever want to marry us off!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options

LOL yes, they forever want to marry us off!

And once you are married, the questions change to "When will I have a grandbaby?" and "Are you pregnant yet?"
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    im mexican but I am a guy, I get the "si ya estas muy flaco" or "por eso no esta casado"

I always come prepared....if its a one day thing than I just eat and enjoy myself.

if it looks like its gonna be a few days -- xmas time, thanksgiving etc. I just say I ate earlier but will try a little of what everyone makes. I focus on the main dishes made: pozole, mole, etc. and avoid the chips and other prepackaged stuff.
    It also helps if u volunteer to go on ne run that needs to be made: ice, beer, etc.

It can get a bit dicey since some can get offended (some of those dishes took hours to make and were made with love) or think ur turning ur back on tradition..."si cree gringo".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Being Filipino, the traditional foods we eat are loaded with calories. For me I just workout hard that morning and enjoy. If it's one day, that should totally disrupt your whole week.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I say save your cheat day for your dads birthday party to avoid the drama...
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    im mexican but I am a guy, I get the "si ya estas muy flaco" or "por eso no esta casado"

My Latina friends say the saaaaame thing... when they go home to visit, their families are always saying how flaca they are, and trying to feed them everything in sight!! lol
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Being Filipino, the traditional foods we eat are loaded with calories.
    Ditto...& they're so yummy...pancit, adobo, ube, ensaymada, leche flan...:bigsmile:
  • dannylives
    Options
    That would suck if you're sick at 55 years of age with diabetes and heart disease because you worried what your Tia Vivi or Tia Eva thought about your eating habits. "I had to eat that way, my cousins and especially Tia's WANTED me to!"
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    oops