Need Advice!!!! People who quit something and succeeded

Options
I'm going to quit smoking but need to hear success stories and how you quit. Or what did you quit and how?

Replies

• jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have not personally quit a habit, but my husband quit dipping tobacco 3 1/2 years ago. He dipped for over 30 years. He promised me that he would quit when my son completed the firefighter academy and received his badge. (My husband has been a firefighter for 30 years.) He quit cold turkey. The first week or so he had flu like symptoms from detoxing. For awhile he used chewing gum as a distraction.

Good luck with quitting, I am sure it will be hard, but you can do it.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Plongmire1 wrote: »
    I'm going to quit smoking but need to hear success stories and how you quit. Or what did you quit and how?

I just looked at my cigarettes one day, decided I didn't want to get emphysema, threw them away, and never looked back. I drank coffee as a calming routine instead.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Yup. Nail biting was one of mine. I felt like an utter *kitten* biting my nails well into my 50’s.

I remember when mom used to put that awful bitter pepper stuff on my hands to make me stop. Did nothing except give me red eyes, lol.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I quit nail-biting when I was 15. I basically just decided. I also quit eating meat In my 20s. For this, I had to convince myself. Once I was convinced it was a net positive I stopped. Both times it was cold turkey. For nail-biting I started putting on bright colors on my nails that would easily show if the nail polish was chipped. I started growing my nails too. For meat, I stopped buying meat and at events, I would look elsewhere until it became a habit.

I don't know where that willpower came from honestly. Maybe as one of the commenters said: where there is a will there is a way.
  • rachelmccracken
    rachelmccracken Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I quit 2 packs a day 33 years ago.
    I first decided on a date. I did not try to cut back, but I did these things:

1) I smoked as much as I wanted but I only bought one pack of cigarettes to make it inconvenient to leave the house to get them.
    2)I always bought a different brand than "mine" just to kind of mess with my addiction.
    3) I did not empty the ashtrays, so they were gross.

When I did quit, I drank a LOT of water. I ate too much and I did gain weight but have more or less lost it. I'd go with celery instead of Hagen Das ice cream bars as a substitute if I had to do it again.

• Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day of Marlboro reds for 8 years. When I became pregnant, I quit cold turkey. I was now responsible for someone else. That was all the motivation I needed. The cravings never went away though. Twelve years later, I was going through a stressful situation and started smoking again. I only smoked about a half a pack a day of Marlboro lights this time. After smoking for 13 years, January of 2022, I quit smoking cigarettes again. This time, I quit for me. I tried using hard candy for my cravings. I ended up putting on 20 pounds and now I'm here. Like food, I get cigarette craving too. When I first wake up in the morning, after a meal, and when I feeling irritable or stressed. Sometimes, I would to have a cigarette instead of eating. Now, I drink water. It's a lot about will-power. You have to really want to quit, be determined, motivated, and committed.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had two bad habits, one actually inherited-my dad and both siblings had this particular habit.

Our yoga studio offered a course in mindfulness. She handed us a journal, asked us if there was a habit we wanted to break, and asked us to write about it every day. Why we did it, our feelings about it, what prompted it.

No joke. In less than two weeks both habits were broken and I haven’t done either in over eight years.

It was just the actually thinking about it made me actually think about it.

Seriously, the journal thing works! I've been through a few different versions but my favorite is a basic weekly planner where I plan my tasks AND my habits. Seeing them visually and taking a moment to reflect goes so far.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For years I quit and then started up. I finally succeeded when I took a course from the American Cancer Society and we were slowly weaned off cigarettes. The leader also told us that we had to accept that we could NEVER have another cigarette...something I hadn't accepted. I also started playing the recorder at the time so learning something new helped. That was almost 40 years ago.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after about 10 years as a pack a day smoker. What got me was the annual November "Smoke Out" where you are supposed to stop smoking for 24 hours. I tried and couldn't do it. That made me mad. I decided I needed to be the one in control, not my craving for cigarettes. I quit, for good, the next day. Hardest part for me was the habits associated with smoking, like smoking when I was on the phone or with my first cup of coffee or coming out of a building. The cravings weren't that bad. I'd get the odd urge to light up, but nothing I couldn't resist. I use the same discipline when it comes to running. I may not be in the mood to run on some days, but I do it anyway, because I am the one in charge, not my laziness.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I quit smoking in my 20s. I got nothing out of it, it cost money I didn't have and knocks something like 7 minutes of your life. I was smoking out of habit and killing myself for no good reason. I stopped one habit cig at a time, and got down to cigs I 'needed' rather than the specific times of day that I was used to smoking. At this point I was already not smoking for most of the day and soon didn't 'need' them at all. Then it was just smoking when drinking - that was harder to break, but we could still smoke in pubs and clubs back then. Then it was just when I was on holiday where cigs were cheap. Then I switched cities where no one knew me as a smoker and never smoked again!

On reflection I could have done it much quicker, but I can't say it was difficult.
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just to say good luck, you can do this.
  • fetomy
    fetomy Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Plongmire1 wrote: »

Quit smoking now the 2nd time (1st time lasted for 2-3 years). Quit drinking sodas as well now the 2nd time. But to be honest, I don't think there's like a secret recipe or thing you can do. For me it was always just a decision. With the smoking it helped that both times I started with 2 weeks of covid, so that gave a boost to begin, but all in all, it's about making a decision and stick to it.
    What can help when you want to linger back:
    - Think about how much money you save (usually quite a lot)
    - Think about how much better you feel, how much you help yourself long term (depending on what you are quitting, there might be more or less)
    - Think about why you quit, as people can have several reasons
    - Think about how strong you are, how proud you are of yourself every day you are not doing it
    - Replace with some other (healthy) habits. This one actually might be a little cheat code, because quitting something usually hard more because of stopping a habit, than anything else like nicotine or stuff like that. So to mitigate the pain of losing a habit, you can pick up a new one.

Also sorry to say, but smoking is especially hard. It's much quicker to stop eating sugar and things like that, and also just accept that one does not simply quit smoking forever. It will always try to come back and you will always have thoughts you should do it. But what makes it a little easier is you save a ton of money, and you feel the effects quite soon and quite significant, so usually you can keep it up for long periods just by thinking about these things.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!