Logging a water only fast

Options
Appreciate this has more than likely been asked before, but is it really not possible to log a water only fast??
Every time I try to "complete diary" on a water fast day the app cry's about getting enough calories and nutrients etc and wont let me complete.
Is it only possible through a paid subscription and not on free mode??

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You don't need to complete the diary, it does nothing but give you the silly "in five weeks" prediction.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,829 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    MFP has a set bar for 1200 for women (not sure for men, think it’s 1400).

You cannot close your diary via either free or paid versions if you do not eat at least the minimum.

Anything below that is considered to be unsafe. Under-eating can cause hair and muscle loss, heart issues, all kinds of unwanted effects.

Not closing doesn’t affect anything. All it does is generate that annoying message that “if every day were like today…..”

How long is and what are you hoping to accomplish with your water fast? In particular, your statement that “every time” I try to water fast is a little concerning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It behaves the same way in premium, as far as I've seen with premium.

If you want to fast, don't close your diary.

Like they said, all it does is give you the 5-week prediction (guaranteed to be wrong if eating different amounts on different days as you are doing), and post a status message to your MFP timeline. You can type a post on your timeline instead if that part is valuable to you.

MFP doesn't want to cheer people on if those people aren't eating enough calories or getting enough nutrients. Some people come here to enable their anorexia, and MFP doesn't want to encourage them to do that.

I understand that you believe your fasting regimen to be safe and effective, and I'm not arguing with you about that here. MFP doesn't have a great algorithmic way at this point to distinguish fasting from dangerous undereating.
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to use the app “fastic” to track my fasts separate if doing longer, water only fasts. I am currently doing the 16:8 on MFP which is built in nicely and works great while tracking my diet, but Fastic is a great option if you are doing something more intense. I’ve done a 72hr water fast and it gave updates on what is happening in your body at that specific hour and reminds you to drink your water, track how you’re feeling, etc.