Cheat Days/ REFEED day

Options
I’ve started replacing my “cheat meal” with a more controlled “refeed” day.. I found that cheat days would only sabotage my progress as it would cause me to end up bingeing on ALL THE JUNK. I’ve done SOME research and I’m not sure if it is the correct way, but I eat in a caloric deficit 9 days and every 10 days increase my calories by about 400-500 to maintenance level, primarily from carbs(and extra serving of rice or oatmeal, etc), but mostly sticking to the healthy diet I have on the other days.

Does anyone else do this and how do you do it? How has it worked for you?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent plan to me. You should make the refeed break two days in a row.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    As long as your weekly number is your target number it’s fine.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,140 Member
    Options
    Once a week I allow myself a "CHEAT" or "treat". Not necessarily a meal or day, just something that came up that wasn't in the calorie budget. Like someone says "Let's go out for lunch" or "Ice Cream, Now!"
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My cheat days have basically come down to staying within calorie goals, but less healthy food if that makes sense. For example I know I am going tailgating this weekend. I am not going to worry about having a couple of hot dogs and beers. I won't go over my calorie allotment, but yeah that hot dog is going to have chili and cheese.
  • mmillsrd1177
    mmillsrd1177 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. A cheat day can often ruin a great week. I did Weight watchers years ago -- would go out with friends every weigh in day -- I did not realize the hole that I dug to start each week. During my current journey - I allow everything -- I get into trouble when I don't count -- it is a marathon (without an end) not a sprint. Don't ever deprive but always do in moderation. Hope this helps -- best of luck
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I didn't call it that but it's similar to what I do. I don't do 'cheat meals' and there are certain things I just don't eat anymore, like things with added sugars or grains.

Some days I allow myself to indulge, like if there is a party or if I'm particularly hungry. I may go over my usual calorie limit or even my usual carb limit, but I still avoid things like added sugars/rice/pasta/oatmeal/bread etc. and avoid completely going off-track.

I might eat extra veggie, fruit, dairy, nuts, seeds, or meat, or I might grab a low-carb treat with artificial sugar.
  • Lullaby2021
    Lullaby2021 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    kbrown1527 wrote: »
    I’ve started replacing my “cheat meal” with a more controlled “refeed” day.. I found that cheat days would only sabotage my progress as it would cause me to end up bingeing on ALL THE JUNK. I’ve done SOME research and I’m not sure if it is the correct way, but I eat in a caloric deficit 9 days and every 10 days increase my calories by about 400-500 to maintenance level, primarily from carbs(and extra serving of rice or oatmeal, etc), but mostly sticking to the healthy diet I have on the other days.

I do something slightly similar to you. I stick to my calorie deficit. 6 days of the week, Then one day I eat maintenance calories. My calorie goal is 1,452perday for -0.5lbs per week. I'd increase that by around 400 for 1,852. once every week or I have another method. Which is less similar,Where I eat an average of an extra 400 every week. So I allow myself one day. Where I eat 100 more or another day 200 and so on. Until it add up to a total of 400 extra. once the 400 is gone,It is gone..Don't wanna eat so much. That it start to bother my small defict too much. That I work hard torwards all week.
  • 8syr4pfpcx
    8syr4pfpcx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My hubby does something similar with a slight calorie deficit Mon-Fri and a cheat day on Saturday (within reason) and maintenance on Sunday. He has lost around 4kg doing this since July.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    kbrown1527 wrote: »

I have done something similar in the past, but it was in conjunction with an extreme fasting plan (rolling 72hr water fasts) I'd say as long as you're accomplishing your goals and it works for you then keep it up. Me personally I find that if I just work in those foods that I would eat on a "cheat" day throughout the week I won't crave them to a point that it will throw the week off. So small portions of whatever it is, which really is the goal for me at least. Eating the correct portion sizes, and making better food choices overall. Special occasion days where I'll be eating out or will have a significantly higher caloric intake I try to plan in a longer workout to somewhat offset things.