Disappointed

Options
Feeling a bit defeated. Been so good all week and tracked stayed within calorie deficit but only lost half a pound. Could it be possible that my hard work will show up next week? Should i lower my calories? Im currently on 1436 calories a day.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,281 Member
    Options
    You need at least 4 weeks/one menstrual cycle to judge your progress. Stay the course till then, patience is one of the most important requirements for weight loss :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    You don't give any further information, hence it's difficult to stay anything more than what Lietchi is saying. We'd need your current weight, size, age, weightloss goal, new or more strenuous exercise, how often you weight, and how you measure your food intake to give you more advice. But hey, congratulations! half a pound is a good start.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    shazia20 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit defeated. Been so good all week and tracked stayed within calorie deficit but only lost half a pound. Could it be possible that my hard work will show up next week? Should i lower my calories? Im currently on 1436 calories a day.

Don't get discouraged. There is a lot that goes into weight loss. It could be you've added some muscle, or are more hydrated this time around. Also make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time of day each time. I wouldn't go reducing calories or adjusting until you're on a plateau for a couple weeks plus.
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any loss is a good loss. There are non scale wins like losing inches, looser clothes, feeling better. I know it’s disappointing; not every week will be a big drop. It will pay off in the long run! Good job!
  • fitsalmfp
    fitsalmfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 6.8 lbs this week. I put the low carb option on here and put my food in before I ate it so that I didn’t make a mistake. You still can eat carbs. I bought keto bagels and also gave up alcohol. I didn’t exercise. I think the trick is to give up sugar. Sugar is the enemy not good fats. I put 1200 calories in. Drink lots of water. I made Turkey burgers with jalapeños on the top and a piece of cheese with grilled onions and opted to put mine on a salad and tbh it tasted just as good. I read that red potatoes and sweet potatoes are are a better option. I’m going to try to limit potatoes to once or twice a week only though. Next week I’m going to try to go walking each day for 30 minutes to ease into it as I’m really unfit. Oh and protein is important there is an article on this site that tells you how to calculate how much protein to eat. Good luck. You can do this.
  • ltomberry
    ltomberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't an immediate-gratification endeavor. Stay the course, you will see results slowly but surely. As someone said, water weight can fluctuate. Even when you track every beverage and weigh the same time every day, there's room for variation (we are 60% water!) I sometimes see 3 lbs fluctuation depending on what I did yesterday. Keep at it and don't make changes yet. You're moving in the right direction.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi. Most of us get frusterated. It will not happen overnight. I don't know everything. What has worked for me in the past is to focus on changing your behavior and the results will come on their own. Some people weigh once a week, some people once a month. This allows you take a breath and focus on changing your habits instead of controlling your results. You are gaining muscle. Please don't let that dissuade you. It is about being commited not perfect. Good luck.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I think the only likely problem here is unrealistic expectations.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint and slow and steady is the way to go - losing 1/2 lb a week is fine.

Some weeks you might not lose any or might even go up a tad - but look at the overall trend and don't expect quick or consistent results - even when you do everything right.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    don't be discourated - a half a pound is still weight lost. every week can't be perfect - our bodies hold onto water weight some weeks, then dump it all, which can lead to no weight loss one week and more than normal weight loss the next week.

weight loss is not always linear. for me, it was for a long time - and then it wasn't. but ultimately i've lost 101 pounds despite an occasional week where i'd do everything right and not lose an ounce or a week where i wasn't able to finish logging, ate what seemed like extra and lost a pound.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If it was easy 3/4 of our population wouldn't be over weight.. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    25 lb weight loss a year would reduce the medical cost individually by thousands of dollars annually and hundreds of billions nationally not to mention where the country would be in 3 years and the military wouldn't need to turn down so many applicants to where it's had to change the challenges and qualifications, just so they could fill uniforms. :)