Could it be cysts?

Options
I had no clue where to put this, but this past month, for about two weeks now, I have been having really sharp pains in both my ovaries....sometimes they are jsut a tad sharp and sometimes they are just a dull pain. They aren't where a normal "period" cramp is(in the middle right at the bottom of the pelvis), they are going from one ovary to the next, one part of the day it will hurt on the right, then the left, or one whole day will hurt on one side and then the next day on the other. I just got my period, so i'm not preg(THANK GOD) and im on birthcontrol....but what do cysts feel like? I know when they burst its like excrutiating pain, which i don't have, but what do they feel like when they aren't bursting? My mom had cysts(maybe still does, i have no clue) So im really nervous I might get them. I'm 24 and I know sometimes hormone issues don't occur until a female gets into her mid twenties/30's.....but I dunno i'm kind of freaking out, i've never had cramps like this for 2 weeks straight, my period cramps are never really that bad either, just a day of dull pains

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Okay. Normally at this point I would suggest seeing a doctor, and I still will, but I have some experience with ovarian cysts. Many women get them and they drain during your cycle. The discomfort is what you describe.

Unless they are massive, they don't need to be removed because they drain on their own.

See your doctor.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Sounds like when I had cysts. You might want to check into finding out if you have a chronic condition like PCOS.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I have had several of them in the past, and that's what it sounds like, but I would definately see your doctor, don't play guessing games with your health. And they are pretty painful when they burst, but your body just obsorbs the fluid. Everytime I have had them I still see my doctor because the symptoms for ovarian cysts are very similar to other problems you may or may not have.
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree. See your doctor. Mine would cause me to flow heavily...really heavily and longer. If they get really bad you could start bleeding at anytime. I went to work out one night and was not fine afterwords.

Again, if you have these irregularities you should really schedule an appointment. It could also be your body getting use to your physical activity if you are working out hard.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking you don't need to be worried about the cysts, but you do need to see your doctor. You need to determine if they are fibroid cysts; and if you have Endometriosis. Neither may be anything serious to worry about, but you need to know what you have so you can make sound decisions.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree. See your doctor. Mine would cause me to flow heavily...really heavily and longer. If they get really bad you could start bleeding at anytime. I went to work out one night and was not fine afterwords.

Again, if you have these irregularities you should really schedule an appointment. It could also be your body getting use to your physical activity if you are working out hard.
    ok because i just started going to the gym, so maybe that had an effect on them....but yes i agree with all you guys that i DEF have to see my doc, its just i was curious as to what if felt like....if been preg before(miscarriages) and it didn't feel like pregnancy at all, even though i convinced myself it was and balled my eyes out with joyful tears when my period came lol
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Everyone is different and none of us can diagnose you.
    Myself - I have delt with MAJOR ovarian cysts caused by Endometriosis. Extreme lower abdominal pain, usually worse on one side. Pain gets even worse during periods and periods are HEAVY (sorry if TMI). Mine had to be removed surgically (three times) because of their ridiculous size and the fact that they were complex cysts, not the ordinary simple cysts you get during ovulation every month which resolve themselves.

Good luck and hope it's nothing serious.