Please feel free to message me and I will reply

Options
Hi there. I am new here. I would like to be part of a group. My weight is 73kg and I am 182cm tall. I think I have eating disorder because my weight always fluctuates a lot.
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Even if eating consistently, it's actually very normal for weight to fluctuate a lot. Our bodies can be up to 60%+ water. Adding and dropping retained water is part of healthy bodies stay healthy. That, plus digestive tract contents on the way to being waste, can add up to a couple of kg or more difference over a day or few. Drink a liter of water, and gain a kg instantly (and it's not fat).

This is a good read, especially the article linked in the first post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

If you're having trouble eating consistently, that's a different kind of problem. It's also quite common when starting into weight loss to struggle a bit with that as we figure out the right approach to stay reasonably full and happy most of the time on reduced calories, in a practical way. The right approach tends to be different from one person to the next, but if you have specific issues of that sort, other folks here might have ideas you could try.

An eating disorder is usually more about troubling thoughts about food and eating, like guilt, shame, emotional eating, etc. Those feelings are nothing to be ashamed of either, because they're a factor for many people. There are self-help resources, and in more difficult instances, there should be no stigma in seeking help from a professional (like a therapist or counselor). Just like plumbers help us with leaking pipe problems, therapists can help us with thought pattern problems. It's good to recognize when we need that help, and reach out for it.

Regardless of your situation, you can grab the reins and manage it. Persistence is a good attitude.

Wishing you success!
  • abnerchiang5574
    abnerchiang5574 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I think I have eating disorder because I have emotional eating problems. I can gain 4kg overnight because I just binge eat. Lately my weight has been on an upwards spiral. The tend does not seem wanting to stop. I am really concerned. I am afraid of seeking proper help because of the stigma involved. Neither do I want to take extra medication because of the illness.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    The thing about the stigma around mental health concerns is that no one will know that you’re receiving help unless you tell them, with some exceptions. You’ve identified a concern; please seek help.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think I have eating disorder because I have emotional eating problems. I can gain 4kg overnight because I just binge eat. Lately my weight has been on an upwards spiral. The tend does not seem wanting to stop. I am really concerned.

Hi.Good for you for reaching out. I have been a binge eater for decades. It has very negatively effected my health. Your binge eating is not about the food. You deserve to live your best life. When you are binge eating, you don't truly love yourself. Otherwise, you would not hurt yourself. Same goes for me. I do best when I don't bring in "junk" in the house; I precook meals, and portion control. Seeing a nutritionist has really helpedme. It can help you too. Take steps forward instead of backwards. Refuse to stay stagnant or you are wasting your time. Build momentum and get going.

You do have the strength to work through your issues. You do have what it takes. How bad do you want to overcome this? This is up to you. Do a pro and con analysis...of changing or remaining the same. What is your "why"? As anything, it comes to how bad you want it, and how hard you want to work on it.

I am trying to get in to food rehab to address my issues once and for all. Enough is enough. Truth, I almost died this year. I can't afford to make excuses. I could care less about the stigma. Everyone on the planet has issues they need to address. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Everyone has a past, everyone can do something about it if they choose. No one on the planet is perfect. Will it be easy? No. Is it doable? Yes. You can chnage your addiction around and have more of a fulfilled life. This is the point of the healing, so you can accomplish your bucket list. Why procrastinate? It gets us no where and keeps us stuck.

I don't know you,but I don't want the binge eating to kill you. If you don't stop, you will get chronic illnesses that you can never take back. All the binge eating was never worth my life. You will be brave to face this once and for all. Your life will be at a better place. Clearly you need to get some feelings out in counseling. There is nothing to be ashamed of...you are human. Bottom line is you are worth it. You are enough. You are worthy of healthy love. We all are...

I am being super serious, why would you let people who don't love and care about you dictate how you feel? These people (for the social stigma) will not be at your funeral. It is about taking responsibilty and being an adult an owning it. Finding a therapist is like finding the perfect fit job, or a spouse. Sometimes the intial ones don't work out. Please give yourself the chance to heal and get healthy. Your life will become progressively worse, if you don't act NOW. If you truly want a better life you will research in your area eating disorder clinics. Inpatient, you will have a clinical care team to take care of you. They want you to live your best life. If that is too much, start with a counselor to teach you Cognitive Behavior Techniques or Mindfulness. Make a list list of things to do other than binge eat. Do them. Figure out HALT- Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. What do you do? Come up with different activites and do those. All the money you save spending on food, put that money into your retirement account, a Roth IRA, or a savings account for a rainy day. This impacts the binge eater terribly.

Research mindfulness, meditation, journaling, what exercise is the best for you? Look on You Tube videos to help you. There are so many more activites to do in life than bingeing. For instance, hobbies, volumteering, political activism, art, music, computer science, gardening, golf, cards, dancing, races, etc. Figure out what works for you.

I do much better when I meal prep. I measure out the food and use portion control. I have one treat meal a week. As long as the portions are normal, I can eat whatever I want. I plan my treat day. This way I don't feel deprived. Only when I deprive myself, I binge even more...

Go see a doctor, therapist, and nutritionist. You neeed to get your blood tested and urine tested to see where your health is now. I wanted to be supportive of you. This is not for the meek.

I hope something I said was helpful towards you. Good Luck.

Causes
    The exact causes for BED are not known but contributing factors include:

Genetics - family history of the disorder in close relatives increases the likelihood of developing BED
    Dieting increases the urge to binge eat
    Gender - it is more common in women than men
    Emotional trauma - traumatic childhood of bullying, abuse or divorce may contribute
    Age - it often develops in late teens and early 20s
    Psychological issues - most people with this disorder have poor self-image and stress
    History of previous binge eating

If you are experiencing new, severe, or persistent symptoms, contact a health care provider.
    Other symptoms include:
    Symptoms include recurrent episodes of binge eating that lead to feelings of extreme embarrassment.
    Eating large amounts of food in a short period of time
    Feelings of lack of control of the situation
    Extreme distress about binge eating
    Poor self-image and feeling unhappy about their weight
    It is more common among teenagers and early 20's though it can affect at any age. The other risk factors include:

Family history - more likely to dvelop if parents or siblings experienced eating disorder
    Dieting - over consiuos of diet
    Psychological issues such as low esteem, lack of confidence, shyness

Complications
    Poor quality of life
    Obesity
    Depression
    Substance abuse
    Coronary heart disease
    Type 2 diabetes

Best wishes.

It is normal to be scared. You've got this. Believe in you!

• abnerchiang5574
    Options
    Thank you @maggiegirl135 and @kiteflyer105 for your messages. I am keeping a really close eye on the developments and will try to speak to a mental health professional. I will report back with updates.
  • abnerchiang5574
    Options
    Today is a new day I want to leave yesterday behind me after I have reflected on it.

I have put on extra 2kg weight after I posted the messages last night. This is in spite of the fact that I have done lots of exercises.

I have bought lots of boxes of chocolates from Amazon because of the shipping discount. Last night I was binge eating. Last night I had about 12 sticks of Twix chocolate biscuits, 6 large Cadbury crème eggs and 5 packets of Walkers crisps.

I really think the environment I am in makes a difference. Today I have handed over all the Twix chocolates (my favourite junk food) to my family to keep. So today is a fresh new day for me. I know I won’t have access to the same chocolates again.

I will also keep doing exercises. This will help reduce calorie surplus created by my binge eating habit. Also, I hope I feel that I work hard to stay healthy, so I am less likely to binge eat.

I have spoken to a GP (doctor here in the UK). I have told her how much weight I can put on after one night, She is also concerned. She wants me to see a mental health nurse.

I have heard binge eating sometimes can be improved by taking some supplements because of the issue of insulin resistance involved. I have tried Inositol, Berberine and NAC. They don’t make any difference whatsoever.

I really would like to be part of network which can support each other for better health. I will keep coming back here to post updates of my situation.

Have a good day everyone.
  • kiteflyer105
    Options
    "I really would like to be part of network which can support each other for better health. I will keep coming back here to post updates of my situation." Great news. I would welcome that too!

"I have spoken to a GP (doctor here in the UK). I have told her how much weight I can put on after one night, She is also concerned. She wants me to see a mental health nurse." Good for you!

In the US, I've heard that Vyvanse ( Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) is supposed to help. I don't have any personal experience with this medicine.

I will not judge. This disorder took me to some really dark places. Usually, when I binged, I was never hungry. It was an emotional hunger, something endless that I could never fill. I was an emotional eater. I did used to set myself up for failure though by not eating breakfast and waiting to eat until dinner. This was a bad idea. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. It boosts your metabolism. Moreover, I was ravenous at dinner time.

The answer is never at a the bottom of a package, a bag, or pizza box, or in sugary drinks, and massive portions, etc. My bingeing never solved anything, but gave me "temporary relief". The problems and consequences were always there, larger clothes, more pounds on the scale and a whole bunch of negative feelings, with a negative mindset. Sometimes I had food hangovers, like people sometimes do at Thanksgiving. I fell asleep after all of the food. Then, I experienced: lots of regret and shame later, also a distorted body image. The problems always remained. "One bite is too many and a thousand is never enough." This is an Overeater's Anonymous quote.

I joined O.A. one year and stopped eating all excess sugar for six straight months. Then one moment with a brownie put me back in a place that I did not want to be. Sugar is one molecule away from cocaine. Have you ever wondered why you'll have a portion that leads to the empty container, or end of the box or bag? Our brains want a dopamine hit again and again. I can't be trusted with Little Debbie boxes. I used to bring in MnM single serving packages for portion control. One would turn into a whole bag. This was not good.

So, the solution for me is to stay "solution-oriented". Not everyone, but many addicts have mental health issues as well. Bingeing may help soothe the pain for Depression, Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder etc. Please see a therapist to deal with trauma and grief that still is bugging you today. This is how my maladdptive coping mechanism began. I handled grief and trauma irresponsibly. I needed to take ownership and responsibiity of my life. Instead, I played victim and deflected. Now, I know it is pointless, and want to make my life better than it was before.

I don't know everything, nor have all the answers. I just know, through a lot of trial and error, what works for me. Take what you want and leave the rest. I am suggesting this and not telling people what to do. Therapy is a must though for any addiction. Some people use 12-step program, Celebrate Recovery, and other peole go to church. Every one is an individual and must do what is right for them. I have tried so many diets. Most of them have failed, because it was someone else's plan. With enough failure behind my belt, I am confident I have what it takes to truly succeed.

Things really changed for me when I stopped eating in my car or by a dumpster. I wanted to rid myself of the evidence, because I was too ashamed. I wasn't hiding anything--the excess adipose tissue was on my body. Denial is very powerful. I stopped lying to myself and not put off dieting until "magic Mondays". I justified and rationalized my reality too much. Everyone could see it except me. In order to recover, we have to be honest with ourselvers; otherwise, it will never work. It is a bad addiction, and you are a good person. Stop believing the negative voice in your head. Continue to refute that. Keep telling yourself you are strong and can oversome this.

I made myself cook real food and really decreased eating out. I started to drink more water. I stopped buying the tempting treats. I ate salads and soup a lot, popcorn too. Not eating the junk really helped me. This cleared my head, and made me feel better. Not treating yourself less than feels good too. I have never binged on fruits or vegetables interestingly enough.

I went aggressive on certain goals. I know I was too passive before. That is why I did not obtain my health sooner. I continued to live in denial. I stopped saying "this one time...". I never changed doing that and wasted years on malarky.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/statistics-research-eating-disorders

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30704638/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eating-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20353603

Abstract
    Binge-eating disorder (BED), first included as a diagnostic entity in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fifth Edition, is characterized by recurrent episodes of binge eating without regular compensatory behaviors to prevent weight gain. With a complex multifactorial etiology, BED is the most frequent eating disorder co-occuring with significant psychopathology, mental and physical comorbidity, obesity, and life impairment. Despite its significance, BED is not sufficiently diagnosed or treated. Evidence-based treatments for BED include psychotherapy and structured self-help treatment, with cognitive-behavioral therapy as most well-established approach, and pharmacotherapy with lisdexamfetamine as FDA approved medication with a limitation of use.

My eating was good today. I had an orange for a snack. Day 22 without pop. I did use self-care.

I like yoga nidra. This was my self-care today.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-is-yoga-nidra/

I do this on You Tube. Pure Blissful Relaxation and Stress Relief Yoga Nidra Meditation | Mindful Movement on 9/3/29. It has purple in the picture.

I challenge you not to get so relaxed that you fall asleep. Sometimes this happens to me. That is normal.

Good luck everyone. Please join us!

• abnerchiang5574
    Options
    I am really grateful for all the thoughts and care you all have put in when you wrote the comments.

@kiteflyer105 it looks like you are getting the hang of controlling the eating disorder. I am really glad to hear that. Also it looks like you are willing to be my accountability partner for my weight loss and stop-binge journey, I am really thankful.

With the support of all the accountability partners, I am more likely to behave. I regret that I did not clear all the junk food in the cupboard yesterday, so I had another episode of binge eating last night.

But I have now learned from that mistake. All the junk food at home has now disappeared. I won’t have access to it and I just need to not to bulk buy food and store at home, because I know I won’t have the self-discipline to stay in control when I see it.

It is very rewarding and motivating to be here at MyFitnessPal community. I hope I am now on the right track.

I am trying to optimise my environment to help my binge eating behaviour. I will save my willpower until the moment I need it the most. The surrounding, the type of supportive people I spend time with, all help.

I will report back with an update.

• kiteflyer105
    Options
    Go you! I am very proud of you for taking control. It is not easy. My bingeing has decreased in the last 9 months. I had to give up many self-destructive behaviors along the way. I am not perfect. As long as I don't binge most of the time, I consider that a success. Honestly, it happens every once in a while. I am hoping I can learn new techniques in rehab, so I can eliminate it entirely.

Some changes I made are:
    I rarely eat fast food. I eat chili, a Filet-o-Fish once in a while, Panera's soup or Greek salad with chicken breast, Qdoba chicken salad bowl and eat half of it, eat a large salad before I go out and eat 2 pieces of pizza (this way 2 slices is enough), 1 plate at a Chinese buffet (instead of 2-3), and stopped drinking Sugar free French Vanilla Iced coffee (I used to be addicted to those), recently gave up all pop (no more Coke, Pepsi, Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Rite, Diet Pepsi, Coke Zero and Sprite Zero), and A&W's Diet root beer). This has been the hardest habit to change honestly.

I buy portion-controlled chips every once in a while. I eat pasta rarely. There are too many carbs in it. I decreased a lot of white bread and switched to wheat. I eat half of a bagel or bagel thins. I make more wraps, salads, soup, etc. I limit crackers. I used to have a problem with those and eat too many. I found discipline slowly. None of this was overnight.

What I found helpful is the more quality nutrition I ate, the better I felt. Even though sometimes it is very hard, like today, I passed up many yummy desserts at a social function, did I need any? No. The rainbow cake was calling my name. It is like being in a museum and you can’t touch it. I focused on the conversation with others more; this is much healthier. If I exercise, usually I don’t binge. I got my exercise done today and practiced self-care. My eating has been on target.

What I use is a food journal (beyond My Fitness Pal), I document my blood sugars, blood pressures, pills taken, units of insulin, exercise, water, pop and tea, so I can report this to my doctors.
    Trust me, the sooner you address your BED, the better. I remember it having such a stronghold over me. That I was obsessed over my next meal, and what *specifically* I wanted to eat. Now, most of the time, it does not have the same effect. I would rather experience peak moments in my life.

I plan my “every once” in a while food like: banana bread, chocolate milk, pumpkin muffins, portioned controlled ice cream, dark chocolate over almonds, snack size candy, sugar free candy and portioned controlled peanut m-n-ms. I don’t restrict any food. I eat desserts out at a restaurant, so no left overs. Things that aren’t available to tempt me.

That is why this is so freeing. I used to have zero control. Now, I feel empowered. Usually, now, my logic has taken over, whereas, my bingeing used to take over. It is worth all the heartache, pain, and sacrifice. Focus on living your best life, instead of binge eating. Keep your bucket list on your refrigerator to reinforce why you don’t want to give in, or take a picture of you at your worst as a reminder of why you want to stop. We all have a cringe worthy picture. Ask yourself, “Will this take me closer to my goals or farther away? Is this helping or hurting me? “Will I achieve my dreams faster by eating this?

Many addicts of any kind have a problem with honoring our self-promises. This is why we may have low self-esteem. I had gotten to the point where I had lied to myself so much, I didn’t believe in myself anymore. I set out to be on a diet by 8 am and ruined my self-promise by lunch time or maybe sooner. Or, I am only going to eat this and I would eat all of the box, bag, etc. To build confidence, all of us must take action.

This is why the food journal helps so much. We have to be accountable to ourselves. Having a mate to check in with is great, but at the end of the day, you’ll want to check in with yourself. Did you win or lose? Put a W or F to track it on the calendar Then track at the end of the month how many days did you win or lose? Aim for 90 percent. Results will speak for themselves, and you won’t have to tell anyone what you are doing. It is cool as you earn a higher percentage number. Over time, if you truly work at it you will see and feel yourself get stronger over time. This is awesome. You can overcome. You are strong enough. The eating disorder lies to us and tells us otherwise. Malarky.

You will have such serenity. This feels amazing, instead of bingeing muck, making your life worse. Serenity is defined as “the quality or state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled.” I crave peace and serenity more than the destructive madness of bingeing. Walking in nature really helps my mental state too.

I wish I had someone when I was younger to show me a way to get out of the self-imposed ****. My only hope in writing this is that it will help someone else.

I know feeling defeated and useless after a binge. Never did I feel happy after I binged. This is where it negatively affects our self-esteem. Bingeing made me feel really bad about myself. I don’t want anyone else to feel that crappy. It is difficult to open myself up like this. Yet, I want to help someone else not feel like they are the only one. You really aren’t alone. It is pretty amazing when you save yourself and find more peace and calm then you ever thought possible. Who cares who believes in you or who doesn’t? Believe in yourself. You can have that better life, but you have to work at it. Good luck everyone.