Benefits of Exercise

Options
So, after a solid week back hitting the gym consistently I have made some observations (again...)
1. I don't have the sleepiness at work that I do when I haven't been working out or only 1 day a week.
2. I don't feel as hungry throughout the day.
3. Better posture.
4. Better sleep.
5. Reduced migraines/headaches.

I have to constantly remind myself of this when I start to slip or take a break from working out. Anyone else have their own set of things that keeps them going?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,908 Member
    Options
    I have mostly the same list - more energy, better sleep, less afternoon munchies - plus regular exercise is crucial for me to manage depression and anxiety.
  • llinsz1
    llinsz1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised in a while. I'm trying to get myself motivated again. But, when I was exercising regularly, I found that I was sleeping much better, I could walk up the steps at the movies without getting tired, I had more energy. It was great. My problem is, I just can't seem to keep it going. I got injured and then stopped completely. That was several years ago. Now I will exercise for couple of days and then drop off. It is so frustrating. I just need the willpower to continue. I know that. It is just hard.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The transfer effect is real. I find it much easier to eat better and I also have reduced binge type cravings when I'm working out regularly. It's not even a conscious thing.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ann, I don't find exercise a slog. I honestly enjoy it. Jogging I HATE, I tried for years, I can now run a 10k fairly easily but slow, but I hate every minute. Kettlebells and kickboxing however, I love, and do not feel like a chore and do great things for my mental well-being. I also throw in some pilates and yoga and never do the same exercise two days in a row.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    (actually I don't hate every minute, I enjoy about 4-6k and hate the rest 😁, otherwis ei suppose I'd never do it)
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    (actually I don't hate every minute, I enjoy about 4-6k and hate the rest 😁, otherwis ei suppose I'd never do it)

I loved running at one point. I'll probably get back there once I drop more weight. Trying to do the 10mi runs like I did a decade ago at 50+ lbs more is not nice to my knees. My cardio is mostly high incline treadmill walking or elliptical. But yeah definitely just find something enjoyable.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    And realize your preferences can evolve over time. I was a runner in my school days, despised the rare few times coach had us in the weight room. Fast forward twenty years, my knees could no longer take running, but I discovered a love of lifting that's continued to this day.
  • slotswing
    slotswing Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Biggest help: Through pure luck, I stumbled over a sport that was so much fun, I'd do it even it weren't good for me. Wanting to be in shape for it, or to improve at it, even gets me to do other forms of exercise that aren't nearly as much fun (some of them even mildly unpleasant :D ). Still true, even at age 67.

Curious…what sport @AnnPT77
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    ^ It's free climbing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    slotswing wrote: »
    Biggest help: Through pure luck, I stumbled over a sport that was so much fun, I'd do it even it weren't good for me. Wanting to be in shape for it, or to improve at it, even gets me to do other forms of exercise that aren't nearly as much fun (some of them even mildly unpleasant :D ). Still true, even at age 67.

Curious…what sport @AnnPT77

On-water rowing, those skinny boats like in the Olympics, only mine is slow. ;)

mirjir29saho.jpg

Me (at 62) in the yellow, my then 72-year-old rowing buddy J. in pink. We're both still rowing that double, among other boats, regularly - at ages 67 and 77.

I also enjoy riding my hybrid bike on paved trails. In Winter, I machine row and stationary bike, which is not nearly as much fun, to stay in shape for the non-snow/ice seasons; and also strength train a little (I don't enjoy lifting at all, TBH).

On water rowing is the truly loved one, though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    But can you swim and can you climb up the rocky shore... in case of emergency! 😎
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But can you swim and can you climb up the rocky shore... in case of emergency! 😎

I took adult learn-to-swim classes early in my rowing efforts, to improve my pathetic swimming skills (though I was already capable of self-rescue in normal rowing conditions - had passed a standard test). After that, I took lap swimming classes to improve further. Most Winters, I pool swim a little just to make sure I still can.

I actively dislike swimming. But I like rowing that much.

As far as rocky shore: Ours is grassy. But keep in mind that we also carry those boats (every time). The light ones (which I carry solo) only weigh a little over 31 pounds, but are 26 feet (8m) long, so awkward to say the least. The eights (carried by eight rowers, normally) weigh about 225-250 pounds, and are around 60 feet (80m) long.

I think I can handle the average rocky shore :D , though I can't think of anyplace I've ever rowed that had much of one.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    What keeps me going is luxury of living one more day, challenging myself to have a peak experience, hitting another PR that I did not think I could, and enjoying my life. If I don't exercise, my life gets worse, I am less likely to overeat or binge, and walking in nature is a treat.

I have to lay out my clothes the night before and do it as soon as soon as I wake up or do it immediately after work. I schedule it in my calender like anything else. No excuses, I must make the time. I have to take care of myself or the people around me will suffer. With all of the benefits of exercise, I focus on what I am gaining, not how much of a drag it is...I always feel more empowered and strong at the end of it. Who doesn't want that? I want the feel good endorphins, the smiley sticker on my calender for every day I complete exercise. I will take off one day a week for rest. That is it. I want to gain mental toughness, stamina, endurance, perserverence and grit. This only happens with commitment and dedication.

I never like starting to exercise, yet I know I won't regret it when I am done. Nothing is worse than laying in a hospital bed knowing you had the chance to prevent that visit. " Try taking back your health once it is gone".

Some other benefits of exercise for me are:better stress relief, emotional regulation, sharper mind, feeling accomplished when done, and more happy. Really, "all is better in my world." The first 3 months are not fun, but when you have a routine or habit it is more fun.

The key is you have to pick things you honestly like or you won't do it consistently .

For the people who don't want to exercise write down how you can grow or evolve as a person. What are you hoping to get out of exercising? Have exercise or accomplishment goals to reread. Being lazy is a choice, so is being fit and healthy. Don't beat yourself up. Just try the next day and track yourself with wins or losses. At the end of the month, see how many of each you earned. Figure out the sucess rate by a division problem.

I visualize the finish line at the end. Who doesn't like to feel like a warrior? Stay strong.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Pickleball anyone? It’s so addictive!
  • KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to row but not if it meant in the ocean near me….too cold! So, these days I spend my exercise time in a swimming pool. I don’t swim laps but do aerobics and aqua jogging. It has become my time to get out of my head and feel good about myself. I can’t imagine not doing it now.