What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,086 Member
    Options
    It was literally freezing this morning (31F/a jot under zero C). I was just about to cancel rowing because we didn't have enough people to row a quad (safer in cold), when I got a text from a 4th adding in. So I rowed bow in the quad again, for the usual hour-ish.

We're running out of rowing season. Hoping for more, but it's always hard to tell which row will be our last. :'(
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8

Lower volume than usual, but it's my first day back after almost two weeks, thought I'd ease my way back into the gym scene.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Last day before deload week today. 3x core exercises, 3x arms and 3x legs. Off on holiday for just over a week tomorrow so using this as a well-timed deload week. Got my resistance band packed to help manage any back flareups and I'm sure some exercise will be done but nothing structured!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Sunday
    I went climbing. It was fun. I was in pretty good form. 2.75 hours.

Monday
    I went climbing. It was training, we focused on intensity. I was in OK form; the session was flat out. 2 hours.
  • RunningGirlKC
    RunningGirlKC Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Legs (3x10-12) - 60%-75%
    - Leg Press
    - Leg Extension
    - Leg Curls
    - Stiff Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
    - Seated Calf Raise
    - Calf Raise (Leg Press)

Core (4x30sec)
    - Med Ball Side to Side Crunches
    - Lying Leg Raises
    - Plank Hip Drops
    - Hill Climbers
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading. I'm so glad I got back into it. I also started skateboarding recently. I hardly feel like I'm exercising!

How cool is that. I'd love to take up rollerskating, but I am afraid if I fall at my weight it could be very injurious.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    yesterday:

3x working sets of back squats. Kinda played with whether high bar or low bar felt better (lowbar by a mile, so back to those it is)
    3x15 seated leg curls
    3x15 leg extensions

Now I can spend the rest of the week on workouts I enjoy...lol.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

RDL 5x5
    Hack Squat <superset> Standing Calf Raises 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Cable Crunch 3x10
  • nossmf
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Now I can spend the rest of the week on workouts I enjoy...lol.

Lots of people hate leg days, but I'm the opposite. Leg days have so many benefits, not least of which is for the ego. My light warmup reps for legs are still using heavier weights than my max last-set reps for upper body. Beyond that, my upper body numbers actually improved when I started focusing on legs: since I track/log every single workout, I can testify how my bench press jumped 20# very soon after I added weekly squat sessions.
  • silver101water
    silver101water Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    75 x Navy Seal burpees. My favorite workout day. :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    How is a Navy Seal burpee different from a standard burpee?
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I haven't been logging for a while. I have been away for about four weeks- was visiting my daughter in Thailand, for about ten days, then travelled to Turkey to celebrate my fiftieth birthday. In Thailand I wasn't tracking my macros but was actually pretty good on diet. Exercise wasn't quite there in part because some nagging injuries' picked up- long standing back issue and a shoulder injury that feels like rotator cuff. Turkey was a writeoff as it was basically five days of eating and drinking by the seaside, then four days of enjoying Istanbul. At the end of the day I put on 2kg, which is not bad for all the fun I had.

Anyway, back to it now. Today was the first day tracking macros again. Yesterday I did a very short jog (20 minutes) and today a quick strength workout. Just some back squats, dips and pullups and ab work. Trying back squats to see if my back likes a break from front squats and dips to see if pressing down is easier on my shoulder than horizontally or upwards. Because I didn't lift for a couple of weeks and I haven't back squatted much in the last year and haven't done dips in years, I took it easy.

I really wanted to stick to the exact program I designed for six months, or at least the template, before messing with it. But injuries are getting in the way. So I am toying with some changes. Full body three times a week might be a bit hard on recovery at my age.

• _John_
    Options
    Yesterday:

Back day.

3x10 Pendlay rows
    3x Superset of Lat prayers and palms facing lat pull-downs
    3x12 barbell bicep curls
  • RunningGirlKC
    RunningGirlKC Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Chest/Shoulders/Triceps (3x8-10)
    • Barbell Bench Press
    • Dumbbell Flyes
    • Side Lateral Raise
    • Seated Barbell Military Press
    • Tricep Pushdown (Rope)
    • Lying Tricep Press
  • nossmf
    Options
    Elliptical hills, one hour, 5.88 mi.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Trying dips to see if pressing down is easier on my shoulder than horizontally or upwards.

My shoulders totally object when I do dips, hopefully you get better results.
    Full body three times a week might be a bit hard on recovery at my age.

I hear ya. You might switch to full body twice a week, with an extra cardio day on what was the middle lift day, or if you want to keep lifting three times per week you can try an upper-lower split, alternating. This has you lift upper twice one week, lower once; next week is lower twice, upper once. I personally have been enjoying doing upper-lower with four lifting days per week...upper on Mon/Thu, lower on Tues/Fri, with cardio on Wednesday (and Saturday, when I'm motivated enough to hit the gym on the weekend).
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    5 mile hike
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,200 Member
    Options
    Hike in the woods looking for chanterelles. Didn't find any. But I did get two things; wet feet and one bolete. That rhymes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,086 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous Fall day yesterday, sunny and 70s F / low 20s C, and I missed all of it (other than car to building walks) because of schedule complications, some unplanned. So I did a 30'+3' CD stationary bike instead of any outdoor thing. :|

All-day drizzle-to-rain today and colder, cancelled rowing, so repeat on the stationary bike.

About 8-point-something pseudo-miles both days, moderate pace, more Z3 yesterday, more Z2 today.
  • _John_
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Shoulder focused push day. Also, for some reason my front delts are sore, likely from messing with my squat (tried high and low bar 2 days ago) so went a little light on volume.

3x10 OHP
    2x12 machine chest press
    3x15 cable side lateral raid
    2x supersets of seated skull crushers into unweighted dips