Got to watch what you say on Facebook!!!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
Employers are now conferring with lawyers on how to construct employees handouts that will forbid employees from writing about their discontent with there job, manager, co worker, structure of company, etc. This can fall under defamation and lead to a lawsuit against the company if filed by a worker who was complained about. It will also protect the company from firing anyone who writes about complaints against the company.
With the access of FB being everywhere now, I see this a big fight against free speech and big companies.

Replies

• Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's already in my code of conduct not to have open facebook or twitter accounts. I certainly don't write anything bad about my job or my day in relation to work, that's just stupid - it's on the internet and readily traceable. I've had friends (working for the same department) reprimanded for their "like" pages as they don't reflect a positive outlook on their jobs to the end consumer. (I work in Education)
  • theabcgirl
    Options
    I got called on this one before... I was totally joking and posted that I thought manditory shots of prozac should be given upon clocking in to work. Apparently, the big boss didn't think I was funny. I was just asked to remove it and the next meeting we got to have a little training! :)
  • Kirabelly
    Options
    This is why my facebook is private and I have a "no one related to work in any way" policy.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I really would have thought that would be a no-brainer, but then the things I have seen on there have been some pretty big shockers.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    This is why my facebook is private and I have a "no one related to work in any way" policy.

ditto that, yet I STILL don't write how bad my job sucks big fat ones....
  • OrabGirl
    Options
    When I was searching for an OBGYN at the start of my most recent pregnancy I stumbled upon a doctor's facebook page that was totally open. I was shocked what he was saying. He really enjoyed making fun of his heavier patients. I chose not to go with that practice and I called and told them why. The doctor's page was private within a few minutes of my phone call but who would want to see a doctor that would just make fun of you?!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Facebook account permanently a few days ago. If I can just make it another 11 days without logging in it will be gone for good, and I will not be opening a new one. :)
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It is also used in the hiring process!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

ditto that, yet I STILL don't write how bad my job sucks big fat ones....
    Reported.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I work for such a small company. My boss is very cool. He has a great sense of humor and is a big jokester. I'd be really surprised if he's concerned about employees Facebook pages especially as long as he doesn't find out someone has bad mouthed the company or talks about looking for another job.

Edited to clarify, I'm not badmouthing the company or looking for another job so I'm not worried.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Facebook account permanently a few days ago. If I can just make it another 11 days without logging in it will be gone for good, and I will not be opening a new one. :)

Is that true because I deleted my face book account probably a year ago but I thought I could re-activate it again easily. I would be glad if it was gone forever best thing I ever did!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    my coworker got in trouble for saying he got five and a half hours of sleep at work one nite
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When hiring managers for my work, they asked us to fill out a piece of paper and had various questions including what you would do it you saw someone posting about another employee or the company on Facebook.

I usually err on the side of caution and never post anything work related or discuss anything work related on Facebook
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Options

Is that true because I deleted my face book account probably a year ago but I thought I could re-activate it again easily. I would be glad if it was gone forever best thing I ever did!

It's tricky, but it's possible. Facebook doesn't want you to leave, and it will do everything it can to keep you in its grasp which is why they deceive you with the "deactivate" function. If you deactivate, which is likely what you did, your account is permanently stored and remains accessible for life. If you do a permanent deletion using a special link that they make nearly impossible to find then your account is permanently deleted from their system after 14 days.

The link to the permanent deletion is: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

I only managed to find it with a Google search. lol Facebook is a trap. I am going into day 4 without it and I am suffering withdrawal-like symptoms, but I have my mind set on making it the full 14 days so that I am permanently erased.
  • Tisha247
    Options

It's tricky, but it's possible. Facebook doesn't want you to leave, and it will do everything it can to keep you in its grasp which is why they deceive you with the "deactivate" function. If you deactivate, which is likely what you did, your account is permanently stored and remains accessible for life. If you do a permanent deletion using a special link that they make nearly impossible to find then your account is permanently deleted from their system after 14 days.

The link to the permanent deletion is: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

I only managed to find it with a Google search. lol Facebook is a trap. I am going into day 4 without it and I am suffering withdrawal-like symptoms, but I have my mind set on making it the full 14 days so that I am permanently erased.

Hey thanks for that! I want to permanently delete. I hate fakebook oops I mean facebook. Just tried that link, I'd have to re-activate to delete. I might just leave it.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Options
    Hey thanks for that! I want to permanently delete. I hate fakebook oops I mean facebook.

You're welcome. :)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    After the recent changes on Facebook my boyfriend decided to delete his. Not deactivated. Deleted.

It took him over an hour to finalize everything. It's ridiculous.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Employers are now conferring with lawyers on how to construct employees handouts that will forbid employees from writing about their discontent with there job, manager, co worker, structure of company, etc. This can fall under defamation and lead to a lawsuit against the company if filed by a worker who was complained about. It will also protect the company from firing anyone who writes about complaints against the company.
    With the access of FB being everywhere now, I see this a big fight against free speech and big companies.
    What happened to making your settings to private so no one on who isn't on your friends list won't see it? Just wondering...:flowerforyou:
  • Tisha247
    Options
    After the recent changes on Facebook my boyfriend decided to delete his. Not deactivated. Deleted.

It took him over an hour to finalize everything. It's ridiculous.

Wow, good on him for going through with it. There's a lot of peer pressure to be on facebook.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think Facebook has a lot of value, but one must tread carefully. I also have a "no coworkers" policy, and I don't post inflammatory comments. I also have my religious and political views set to not be viewable by anybody.

If you want a more closed environment, you might try Google+.