Late Night Binge Sessions...

Options
I did SO WELL today and I was so proud of myself, until I just went on a binge and ate everything in my house... First of all, I don't know why I do this when I pay for these groceries and then I just devour them in one sitting! What a waste of money! Also I want to be healthy SO BAD, so why do I sabotage my progress by binging :( Is anyone in a similar boat?

Anyone out there have any tips for fighting late night eating/binging?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I find if i force myself to brush and go to bed by like 11, I won't eat terribly. Or even 10pm...Otherwise if I'm up til 2 or 3, I find myself wantin to snack every hour almost. And its never anything healthy.
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe also brushing my teeth will get ride of my unhealthy cravings.
  • quelquun
    quelquun Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I. Am. In. The. Same. Boat.

I have a bottomless pit. And groceries are getting more expensive (especially if the closest one within walking distance is Whole Foods- good god, it should be a crime for them to charge as much as they do!)

I can do well ALL day, and then within the last hour I'm awake, I can devour an entire fridge for no reason. I also do it when I'm cleaning up dinner- I'll have just a few more bites and then I have no leftovers for lunch the next day. Let's come up with a plan not to do that.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe also brushing my teeth will get ride of my unhealthy cravings.

Ya, if its effective enough, anything after that won't taste as good!

Or maybe be prepared with a decent snack. I really enjoy 1/2C cottage cheese, cinnamon, sweetner and (optional) raisins and almonds. The protein in it is good for a late-night snack. That way you can eat, but feel way less guilty.
  • LovesNoodles
    Options
    lol I do the teeth brushing to avoid eating too!
    I feel like it sends my brain a signal that "it's bedtime, no more food!"
    :)
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    only buy healthy foods!
    I have found that if I don't have chips in the house, I tend not to snack. Or if I want something chip-like i go for carrots or special k cracker chips, ect.. something that will satisfy my need, but in a much healthier way...
  • Love2Run330
    Love2Run330 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!! I just raided the m & m's in the pantry. I've learned, if it's not in the house, I can't eat it. I went grocery shopping this week when I was hungry...BIG mistake! I haven't bought m & m's in months...and haven't eaten them in months...but since they were in the pantry.........Tomorrow is a new day ~ try to do better then. We all have bad days - do the best you can and take it a day at a time! Good Luck!
  • meredithd13
    Options
    if i have things in the house like chocolate, crisps, or anything processed etc, it's too easy to eat and i will eat them so i no longer have the choice to eat them. i understand your 'sabotage' comment. once naughty food is gone, i no longer think about it.

if i want to snack at home, pretty much everything requires preparing as it's all fresh ingredients. the worst thing i can have is yoghurt and honey, which isn't very exciting.

get out of the house (even if it's late!). just go for a walk around the block, come home, have a cup of peppermint tea, some yoghurt and honey (like two tablespoons of yoghurt and a teaspoon of honey!), then brush teeth and go to bed. works for me.
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Yes I'm totally in! This needs to stop. I'm getting no where with progress because I keep sabotaging myself. And it's not that I'm hungry its like I crave the act of eating! Which is ridiculous and I need to break this bad habit... I just don't know how. Gahhh not to mention I'm totally wasting my hard earned money!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way and it doesn't help being an insomniac...I'm usually up at night and once 11pm rolls around I become freaking ravenous!!:noway: I hate lying in bed trying to force myself to sleep because it doesn't work and by the time I finally do doze off - it's time for me to get up and get started on my day(SAHM-home schooler)...what I'm doing now is trying to make sure that I've burned enough calories so that I'll actually have enough room to eat something when I can't sleep...tonight I had some popcorn and part of a hershey bar which didn't add up to much so I did well today because of the exercise.

My main problem is choosing the right things to eat at night - try to go light, you can have more and the calories won't build up to high, and I agree with the brushing, it does help...good luck!
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I feel like I can tackle tomorrow with all these recommendations in mind. I've already started a list of "trigger foods" that I'm not allowing myself to buy because I know they will trigger late night eating. Loving the advice!
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    True. It it's not in the house, you can't eat it. I was scavenging through my cabinets earlier looking for something to snack on. If I had any oreos, I would have demolished them, but since I didnt, I got a glass of water and that was that.
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    You know what, I am in the same boat as you. I was reading your post, it is ironic, it says the same thing's that I feel some of the times. I know don't what to do. I just try to exercise more on the days that I "cheat" and hopefully it might equal OUT !!!:ohwell:
  • xoxo_kelly
    Options
    Yes I'm totally in! This needs to stop. I'm getting no where with progress because I keep sabotaging myself. And it's not that I'm hungry its like I crave the act of eating! Which is ridiculous and I need to break this bad habit... I just don't know how. Gahhh not to mention I'm totally wasting my hard earned money!

Before I got back on my diet I was the same way! Not even hungry, I don't think my stomach would growl but it tasted good so I wanted it.. I think I eat as a comfort as well.. my fiancee works 12 hour graveyard shifts every other week and I noticed on the nights he was working I would just eat everything! And I felt sooo guilty after.. then id eat more! And its hard to not have the bad stuff in the house when my kids and man love eating it! But I feel like I have the willpower to stop now.. its just not worth it.
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I feel like I can tackle tomorrow with all these recommendations in mind. I've already started a list of "trigger foods" that I'm not allowing myself to buy because I know they will trigger late night eating. Loving the advice!

even if you write down your trigger foods, try to write down a good, healthy replacement.
    I even go as far as putting my snacks into serving sizes and into sealable plastic containers. it keeps the food fresh as well as prevents me from eating the whole bag of whatever i'm snacking on. if i go back for more, i consciously know how many calories I am taking in.....
  • chloeelebeir
    Options

Before I got back on my diet I was the same way! Not even hungry, I don't think my stomach would growl but it tasted good so I wanted it.. I think I eat as a comfort as well.. my fiancee works 12 hour graveyard shifts every other week and I noticed on the nights he was working I would just eat everything! And I felt sooo guilty after.. then id eat more! And its hard to not have the bad stuff in the house when my kids and man love eating it! But I feel like I have the willpower to stop now.. its just not worth it.

Yes I did the same thing! I felt guilty for eating... so I just ate more... How did you get the willpower to stop?
  • chloeelebeir
    Options

even if you write down your trigger foods, try to write down a good, healthy replacement.
    I even go as far as putting my snacks into serving sizes and into sealable plastic containers. it keeps the food fresh as well as prevents me from eating the whole bag of whatever i'm snacking on. if i go back for more, i consciously know how many calories I am taking in.....

The serving sizes into plastic bags its such a good idea! When i get that bag in front of me, soon enough I'm digging in the bag for food... and it's all gone, and then I think, "S&*#... I really just ate all that..."
  • xoxo_kelly
    Options
    For me? Honestly I just got tired of looking in the mirror and wanting to cry, I hate having muffin top in everything I wear lol idk how to explain it.. kind of like a light switch in my head just switched on and I just don't do it anymore.. I try to stay busy bc if I'm busy I don't want to snack. So cleaning, playing with my kids, running errands, doing laundry ,anything to where I'm not sitting on the couch staring at my fridge.
  • tvbuckner
    Options
    Lately late night eating has become my "thing". I used to do it all the time, and now fear the habit is coming back. Cereal has become my savior. I also put my cereal in a coffee cup, I tend not to eat so much that way. And on those nights, when I do push there and not head for the fridge, I find in the morning, I feel so much better about myself. So far I have not met my calorie quota for the day. Not long ago, I was doing so well, hardly an appetite, struggled to make my calorie intake throughout the day. I fear of gettinng back into my old habits. But do remember, this helped me, that sometimes you just need a bite. I know they say not to stand up and eat, but if i make a plate of something I will eat it all. If I only eat a few bites, like last night, I had two triscuits withh hummus, and one with a slice of cheese, that did it for me. I think it is okay to eat late at night, if the calories are not too many. I have said tomorrow is another day, more often then I care to think about it; but it's all building blocks. What I eat now, effects me later. There are times if I don't eat late, that the next day i am not hungry at all, it keeps me from eating, but in the long run, it slows down the metabolism later on. I am trying to teach myself that all things in moderation, sometimes a bite is all you need to feel satisfied. I don't know if this helps, but hope that at least you know you are not alone! -Good luck
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Thanks that did help a lot! I've said "tomorrow's another day" too many times to count as well, and like xoxo_kelly said I just wish that light switch would turn on! It just makes me mad because I know I want to be healthy and happy SO BAD but why has this switch not turned on? Do I really want this? Because if I did, wouldn't the decision to eat healthy be easy? But I DO want it! I just don't understand why I still make these horrible decisions :(