Adding Running & Weight Training

Options
I just discovered that when I log my minutes that I run/walk (that is calculated by my "Map My Fitness" app) then enter the calories, MFP ACCURATELY keeps those calories. HOWEVER, when I enter the time I worked out on weights and then enter the calories that a different online tells me I burned, MFP automatically enters a much lower number. So...up until just now discovering this, I have burned fewer calories left over to consume (eat back) or accumulate for a different day when I am not able to work out.

Does anyone know why this manual logging of weight work out calories incorrectly logs in my daily tally page, versus my run/walk calories that I manually enter is correctly saved and logged onto y daily tally page?

Thank You!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    No idea, but the map my fitness apps are known to grossly overstate calories. They also display gross calories as far as I know. Say you exercise for 1 hour. Gross calories of that include the calories your body needs for moving you around, and the calories your body burns anyway. The second part is already included in your calories MPF gives you, and hence you're double dipping. You only want to log the net calories, only the calories you burn from moving, and not also those from just being alive.

have a look at this website: https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs. Set it to net calories. Calculate the calories walking and running and add this together. This should be fairly realistic compared to the app and MFP
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To sanity check running net calories us 63 cal per 100lbs of body weight per mile run (my Garmin is very close to tis for runs). Typically strength training sessions burn relatively few calories compared to cardio.

Exercise for health and fitness. Consume fewer calories to lose weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    63 cal per 100lbs of body weight per mile run

or 0.63 * weight in lbs * distance in miles for running

for walking use about 0.3 * weight in lbs * miles