How to Deal with walk hunger?

Options
Everytime I go for a walk. If it's more than one Hr. I'm extra hungry during the remaining day. Most times can't keep a calorie deficit. Also over flow maintenance calories at times. I'm try to lose fat. It's harder when I go to enjoy my walks. Come back home so hungry.I do things before hand. I know extra hunger will happen.I eat a high protein meal. With fruit & veggies before my walk. Preparing so it wont happen and then it happen. I eat snacks in between walk also. Like two eggs or a protein bar.I always have my water bottle with me. Last thing I do is eat my exercise calories. Which are the walk calories. Still not enough to calm hunger down. So I end up maintain that day. Walk is supposed to be enjoyable and healthy. I don't feel that way about it. With it getting in the way of my goals. Also me feeling run down. I'm aiming to lose 0.5lbs per week. So I'm doing 1,450 calories perday + exercise eaten.How do you guys deal With extra hunger from walk? what do you do? eat, or drink? to make it easier on the body and so on..

Replies

• Rockymountainliving
    Options
    Wow, that's so frustrating! It sounds like you are doing things right. My doctor has me taking a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D (high dose) and Iron. This helped my run down feeling.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry when you eat pre walks? Save the food for afterwards when you ARE hungry. Not eating before exercise won't kill you. I promise. :)

Unless it's a low blood sugar thing where you need a lil somethin' somethin' to not faint.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Everytime I go for a walk. If it's more than one Hr. I'm extra hungry during the remaining day. Most times can't keep a calorie deficit. Also over flow maintenance calories at times. I'm try to lose fat. It's harder when I go to enjoy my walks. Come back home so hungry.I do things before hand. I know extra hunger will happen.I eat a high protein meal. With fruit & veggies before my walk. Preparing so it wont happen and then it happen. I eat snacks in between walk also. Like two eggs or a protein bar.I always have my water bottle with me. Last thing I do is eat my exercise calories. Which are the walk calories. Still not enough to calm hunger down. So I end up maintain that day. Walk is supposed to be enjoyable and healthy. I don't feel that way about it. With it getting in the way of my goals. Also me feeling run down. I'm aiming to lose 0.5lbs per week. So I'm doing 1,450 calories perday + exercise eaten.How do you guys deal With extra hunger from walk? what do you do? eat, or drink? to make it easier on the body and so on..

I'm betting you are underestimating how many calories are being burned on your walk. You shouldn't be absolutely starving unless your walk is more rigorous than you think. Also, unless you are on a low-carb diet, try having a 'carb' snack before or after the walk instead of protein. Carbs break down to energy quicker. So your body may feel less hungry as it won't be stressed trying to break down the fat or protein for quick energy. Even long-distance runners have carbs before a big exercise event.

"Carbohydrate intake before and after exercise can help to restore sub-optimal glycogen stores, which is critical for prolonged periods of exercise. While allowing for personal preferences and physiological factors, the pre-event meal should be high in carbohydrates, non-greasy, and readily digestible"

https://www.usada.org/athletes/substances/nutrition/carbohydrates-the-master-fuel/#:~:text=Carbohydrate intake before and after,-greasy, and readily digestible.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    While fatigue is a symptom of low iron, being anemic tends to suppress appetite. (Don't just start taking iron without getting blood work - too much iron has its own set of problems.)

I'm almost baffled, because you're already doing everything I'd suggest. However, it's possible you are making some mistakes in your food log and eating less than you think you are. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

• Lullaby2021
    Lullaby2021 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001
    My diary is public now
  • Lullaby2021
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Are you actually hungry when you eat pre walks? Save the food for afterwards when you ARE hungry. Not eating before exercise won't kill you. I promise. :)

Unless it's a low blood sugar thing where you need a lil somethin' somethin' to not faint.

Yes, I'll keep this in mind.
  • Lullaby2021
    Options
    @loulee997
    I'm betting you are underestimating how many calories are being burned on your walk.

I was thinking that too.I just don't know where to start. With finding out how much I burn.I do have steps app. It estimate steps and calorie burn. Idk how true that is though.
    hmm underestimate burn and then maybe I'm under eat also. Judging by the way I feel.. Always hungry and tried much to fix it. Extra protein, more fruits,veggies,carbs.. sigh.. Just tired of being tired and hungry all the time.
  • Lullaby2021
    Options
    @loulee997
    You shouldn't be absolutely starving unless your walk is more rigorous than you think.
    (Yes my walk rigorous it is)

Also, unless you are on a low-carb diet, try having a 'carb' snack before or after the walk instead of protein. Carbs break down to energy quicker. So your body may feel less hungry as it won't be stressed trying to break down the fat or protein for quick energy. Even long-distance runners have carbs before a big exercise event.

(I always eat protein after walks. I'll eat a little more carbs after walk)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001
    My diary is public now

Thanks! I'm going to ignore today, Sunday 10/29, as it is not typical and encourage others who view your diary to do the same.

You're doing great on protein :smiley:

One thing that jumped out at me is that you are consistently low on fiber. I'm not suggesting you take fiber supplements - many people find FOODS with fiber very filling.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/22-high-fiber-foods#benefits-of-fiber
    "...If you’re adding high-fiber foods to your diet, do so gradually over a few days and drink plenty of water, too. This can help prevent adverse effects, such as bloating and gas."

Do try eating more of the fruits, veggies, and legumes suggested in the Mayo Clinic link. (Be careful with nuts as their calories add up quickly.) You can make room in your calorie budget for this by eating less crackers and cereal. Also try having higher fiber bread instead of regular. I'm focusing on those foods because for me, and perhaps for you, that doesn't fill me up at all.
  • loulee997
    Options
    @loulee997
    You shouldn't be absolutely starving unless your walk is more rigorous than you think.
    (Yes my walk rigorous it is)

Also, unless you are on a low-carb diet, try having a 'carb' snack before or after the walk instead of protein. Carbs break down to energy quicker. So your body may feel less hungry as it won't be stressed trying to break down the fat or protein for quick energy. Even long-distance runners have carbs before a big exercise event.

(I always eat protein after walks. I'll eat a little more carbs after walk)

I hope it helps. It is such a trial-and-error process. I figure if long-distance runners and hikers eat a few carbs when they are doing a heavy work out, it must have a benefit.

I hope it helps your hunger.
  • loulee997
    Options
    @loulee997
    I'm betting you are underestimating how many calories are being burned on your walk.

I was thinking that too.I just don't know where to start. With finding out how much I burn.I do have steps app. It estimate steps and calorie burn. Idk how true that is though.
    hmm underestimate burn and then maybe I'm under eat also. Judging by the way I feel.. Always hungry and tried much to fix it. Extra protein, more fruits,veggies,carbs.. sigh.. Just tired of being tired and hungry all the time.

Ugh. I'm sorry. An hour's walk on flat land and an hour's walk on mostly hills burn significantly different calories. I hope the carbs either before or after help. If you are losing weight, maybe try adding another 100-calorie snack to the day. If that doesn't work, try 200 calories. I feel bad you are so hungry.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,429 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Another thought: i feel ravenous for some reason when my blood pressure drops. And it does drop after exercise due to relaxing and sweating. If I put my finger tip in a pot of salt before and after exercise 2-3x and lick it I tend to be fine. Before to keep my blood pressure up for the exercise and after to replace salt from sweating. Of course only if your doctor hasn’t put you on a low salt diet for health reasons.

If I don’t do this I might feel miserable for hours, until after my main meal in the evening, which tends to be more salty than everything else I eat.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I’ve had good luck with Metamucil for curbing my hunger.