Frustrated

Options
So frustrating!!!

I feel so hungry still and yet I went over my calories I'm hungry every single day even though I'm trying my best to choose low cal and high protein foods.

Ugh

Please any advice tips or suggestions would be so appreciated. I'm feeling very frustrated

Replies

• Anxiety89
    Anxiety89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you chosen too aggressive a goal? Losing 2 lbs a week is too much for most people, but a lot of people assume they should be able to do that. That's a 1000 calorie deficit, which is huge. Better to choose a slower rate of loss and be able to continue for a while than to lose quickly but be unable to sustain it. That always leads to weight regain. Finding a level of calories that you can continue to follow over the long term works much better.

What do you weigh and what is your goal? How many calories are you aiming for? Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are using MFP as intended, you should be eating them back.

Thanks

Last I checked, I was 176. And I'm just starting out with food changes, I haven't even tackled excercise yet. Eating was my worst issue so I'm dealing with that First. I bought dumbells, and resistance bands, haven't figured out a workout yet.

I just plugged in all my numbers and let mfp tell me what I should be eating for a day in the amount of macros.

My goal is to be 130-135 lbs.

• Anxiety89
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Some people aren't satiated by protein. Some need more fat or carbs to be happy (at least that's what I've heard. Definitely protein for me). And some are volume eaters. Experiment. Check out the volume-eaters thread.

Thank you, I'll check that out. All I've ever heard is protein is the key. Thanks for your suggestion. Greatly appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are you trying to lose a week?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Anxiety89 wrote: »
    Have you chosen too aggressive a goal? Losing 2 lbs a week is too much for most people, but a lot of people assume they should be able to do that. That's a 1000 calorie deficit, which is huge. Better to choose a slower rate of loss and be able to continue for a while than to lose quickly but be unable to sustain it. That always leads to weight regain. Finding a level of calories that you can continue to follow over the long term works much better.

What do you weigh and what is your goal? How many calories are you aiming for? Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are using MFP as intended, you should be eating them back.

Thanks

Last I checked, I was 176. And I'm just starting out with food changes, I haven't even tackled excercise yet. Eating was my worst issue so I'm dealing with that First. I bought dumbells, and resistance bands, haven't figured out a workout yet.

I just plugged in all my numbers and let mfp tell me what I should be eating for a day in the amount of macros.

Is your weekly weight loss goal 2 pounds per week? I suggest dropping it to 1 pound per week, and enjoy those extra calories!

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Some people aren't satiated by protein. Some need more fat or carbs to be happy (at least that's what I've heard. Definitely protein for me). And some are volume eaters. Experiment. Check out the volume-eaters thread.

Thank you, I'll check that out. All I've ever heard is protein is the key. Thanks for your suggestion. Greatly appreciated.

Is your protein goal the MFP default? How often do you hit it?

While you're sedentary, you may wish to bump it up to 30%.

Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.

Also very important to keep me feeling full is fiber. I work to exceed fiber, hit protein, and not go over the MFP default of 30% fat by too much. While I love fat, I don't find it especially filling.

With carbs, what's important to me is what kinds of foods they came from. I don't find wheat (bread, pasta, baked goods) especially filling, but fruit, veggies, rice & beans do satiate me.
  • Anxiety89
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks

Is your weekly weight loss goal 2 pounds per week? I suggest dropping it to 1 pound per week, and enjoy those extra calories!

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

It says my goal is 0.5lbs a week
    I just left it at that
    0.5 isn't much at all
    Should it not be this?
  • Anxiety89
    Options

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.

Also very important to keep me feeling full is fiber. I work to exceed fiber, hit protein, and not go over the MFP default of 30% fat by too much. While I love fat, I don't find it especially filling.

With carbs, what's important to me is what kinds of foods they came from. I don't find wheat (bread, pasta, baked goods) especially filling, but fruit, veggies, rice & beans do satiate me.

Yes it's default. Okay I'll try the calculator. Thank you so much.
    I'm finding it difficult to purchase healthier foods, I have 3 kids and no one eats what I eat. It's hard to find a balance in making so many different meals. I guess finding a routine and a way to incorporate everyone's meals and my own woukd be helpful.

• kshama2001
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes it's default. Okay I'll try the calculator. Thank you so much.
    I'm finding it difficult to purchase healthier foods, I have 3 kids and no one eats what I eat. It's hard to find a balance in making so many different meals. I guess finding a routine and a way to incorporate everyone's meals and my own woukd be helpful.

My partner and I often eat the same things, with different proportions. For example:

1. I have less pizza, plus a big salad, with some cottage cheese for a protein boost.
    2. I have smaller servings of pasta, with larger servings of vegetables.
    3. I make tacos with 90% ground beef and go easy on the cheese with mine.
    4. We have a lot of chicken, starch, veg type meals. I go easy on the starch and butter. For example, with baked potatoes, my portions are a lot smaller - not because of the potato, but because I like a LOT of butter. :lol: I have some low fat sour cream to replace some of the butter.

Try providing examples of what your kids eat that you don't and vice versa, and we'll see if we have suggestions to make them more you-friendly or kid-friendly.

Also see additional examples of problem solving for the same issue in this recent thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10901552/feeding-family
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I just left it at that
    0.5 isn't much at all
    Should it not be this?

Hmm, with this weekly weight loss goal you should be getting enough calories to not feel hungry. Maybe some of your entries are wrong. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    So if your weightloss goal is only 0.5lbs per week... yes, it's possible to still be hungry with such a small reduction. Have you changed the way you eat? Maybe what you eat now is just not filling for you. Maybe you're logging far too much food while undereating. How active are you? Another option: if I personally am not in the right mindset for losing weight then I do feel hungry despite only eating a tiny bit less. It's just a case of brains are weird sometimes.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for feeding family. Make one main dish. Like baked chicken. Fries for the kids, broccoli for you. Salad for the family. Will one kid eat lettuce, not tomatoes and one kid eats tomatoes, not lettuce? Serve them separately, make your salad on your plate. More dishes, but so many gains.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,716 Member
    Options
    Settings are a starting point. Your actual logging and results are what proves how close your n=1mirrors the "expectations" inherent in the population statistics and approximations you're starting with.

0.5lbs a week from sedentary would also not be 0.5lbs a week from beyond highly active. But, even before the selection of options on the screen and their correspondence to reality, things such as the types of food you eat and the circumstances of doing so, the length of time you've been at a deficit, and a whole bunch of other health and mental stresses including medications one may be taking can all contribute to feeling extra hungry even at a small deficit.

Of course we don't know if the deficit is actually small or large as the original post does not mention how much weight is available to be lost and what the effective rate of weight change has been and the time lines...
  • Anxiety89
    Options

Thanks

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I just left it at that
    0.5 isn't much at all
    Should it not be this?

Hmm, with this weekly weight loss goal you should be getting enough calories to not feel hungry. Maybe some of your entries are wrong. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I did it. I think
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    So frustrating!!!

I feel so hungry still and yet I went over my calories I'm hungry every single day even though I'm trying my best to choose low cal and high protein foods.

M

Please any advice tips or suggestions would be so appreciated. I'm feeling very frustrated

For most people, high-protein makes them feel full. But some people need fiber, volume, or healthy fats to feel full.

Things to check:
    • Do you have a source of healthy fat in your diet? If you take the healthy fats too low, this can be a problem.
    • Do you have your calories set too low for your activity level?
    • Are you mis-counting your calories? Under counting portions or calorie estimations?
    • You've tried drinking water or having a snack--and the hunger persists?

If your body is telling you it is hungry and water/snack doesn't quell the hunger, then your diet is deficient in some way. You may need to eat more food. You may need to eat more healthy fat. You may need to recalculate your activities.

Your loss goal may be too ambitious. Weight loss should not be constant deprivation/hunger. If it is, it'll be too hard to maintain.

Things to try:
    1. Add a healthy fat to your diet--such an avocado. You can google healthy fats.
    2. Add more fiber to your diet.
    3. Add 100 to 200 calories to your daily goal.
    4. If you are hungry only during certain times of the day, save calories to have a snack at that time.
    5. Do you want a volume food or a high-protein food? If you are eating a high level of protein, perhaps you need a VOLUME food. Volume food lets you eat a large amount for very few calories. Your body feels 'full'. You can eat quite a bit of air-popped popcorn, cut mixed veggies, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with balsamic vinegar, certain veggie chips, pretzel sticks, avocado egg salad, plain Greek yogurt with fruit (berries), roasted chickpeas, avocado toast on low carb bread, hard boiled eggs with pepper and salt, or frozen grapes.

Hope this helps.

My biggest suggestion is you shoot for 1 pound a week and not 2. Two is ambitious and you will feel the hunger. One will be much more livable. Add fiber. Make sure you eat at least 1 healthy fat a day.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Thanks

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I just left it at that
    0.5 isn't much at all
    Should it not be this?

I did it. I think

Alas, it is still not Public.
  • Anxiety89
    Options

Thanks

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I just left it at that
    0.5 isn't much at all
    Should it not be this?

I did it. I think

Alas, it is still not Public.

Now?
  • Anxiety89
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    So frustrating!!!

M

For most people, high-protein makes them feel full. But some people need fiber, volume, or healthy fats to feel full.

Things to check:
    • Do you have a source of healthy fat in your diet? If you take the healthy fats too low, this can be a problem.
    • Do you have your calories set too low for your activity level?
    • Are you mis-counting your calories? Under counting portions or calorie estimations?
    • You've tried drinking water or having a snack--and the hunger persists?

If your body is telling you it is hungry and water/snack doesn't quell the hunger, then your diet is deficient in some way. You may need to eat more food. You may need to eat more healthy fat. You may need to recalculate your activities.

Your loss goal may be too ambitious. Weight loss should not be constant deprivation/hunger. If it is, it'll be too hard to maintain.

Things to try:
    1. Add a healthy fat to your diet--such an avocado. You can google healthy fats.
    2. Add more fiber to your diet.
    3. Add 100 to 200 calories to your daily goal.
    4. If you are hungry only during certain times of the day, save calories to have a snack at that time.
    5. Do you want a volume food or a high-protein food? If you are eating a high level of protein, perhaps you need a VOLUME food. Volume food lets you eat a large amount for very few calories. Your body feels 'full'. You can eat quite a bit of air-popped popcorn, cut mixed veggies, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with balsamic vinegar, certain veggie chips, pretzel sticks, avocado egg salad, plain Greek yogurt with fruit (berries), roasted chickpeas, avocado toast on low carb bread, hard boiled eggs with pepper and salt, or frozen grapes.

Hope this helps.

My biggest suggestion is you shoot for 1 pound a week and not 2. Two is ambitious and you will feel the hunger. One will be much more livable. Add fiber. Make sure you eat at least 1 healthy fat a day.

Oh wow. I didn't know i could eat things like popcorn or even low carb breads.
    I'm set to 0.5 lbs per week, not 2.

I'm using a good scale for everything I measure, so I'm pretty confident I'm logging correctly.

Mfp set my macros so it said I'm to eat 1600 cals a day and lose 0.5 a week ?

I'm not doing much fiber I guess.

I seem to keep going over in calories and fat
    And often protein

I'm 5 foot 3
    I have 3 kids that's the only excessive moving I do , housework, kids routines and such. So no excercise at all currently I feel too lost in the food department to start a new excercie plan as well, figured tackle one thing at a time.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @Anxiety89 : Give it time. Set a short-term goal of eating exactly on plan. Say 2 weeks. Your body will adapt and the hunger will get better.

Lots of comments about macros above. Note that the macro breakdown doesn't (much) influence weight loss, just the total amount of calories. You can experiment with different breakdowns (meaning different foods) and see how it goes).

It pays to take up a hobby that distracts from eating. It helps me to get out of the house more. My hardest days are when I work from home!

You can also experiment with timing your eating: eating breakfast later so you can eat dinner later and go to bed feeling more sated. Or, maybe you love breakfast and can lighten your lunch (turn into two snacks, for example).

Best of luck!