Triceps?

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Can you get some dumbells and do tricep kickbacks and bench presses at home?? I do my chest press with dumbells so that it evens up my strength on both sides whereas using a barbell my stronger side tends to carry my weak one.

yeah, I've been thinking about getting some. Not sure what weight to start with though?

Icewolf - I've ordered it through a second hand book seller, but still waiting for it to arrive. . .

Thanks everyone for taking time to help.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put out there that you might not want to invest and then clutter up your house with dumbbells at weights you will be looking to leave behind forever very soon.

I'm your age, and started weight training in July. I was struggling to get up the 5 lb dumbbells for certain things when I started. I don't think I'm progressing as fast as a dude, or a 20 year old, or a 20 year old dude, but I now bench press 30 (have to do with a fixed bar or two dumbs since the bar is 45!) and tricep kickback or extend 7.5 lb dumbs. Really like to get that into the double digits but it's progress!

Right now my trainer has me on some sort of tricep triple whammy. I have to do them every 2-3 days and 2-3 different exercises on them. Seems to be making a difference though. But they always hurt, lol. I don't know whether she has some master plan like how this is going to help me do pull ups one day, or if she just wasn't liking the look of my old lady arms. :D

Anyway, my point was! Those dudes in the free weights aren't looking at anything besides themselves. Seriously. They have no idea you're there, other than whether or not there is a bench free.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good point there. I think we all tend to imagine that everyone else is intensely interested in what we are doing.
    In fact, they are probably nothing of the kind. Keep your focus on what you are doing. That's what you are there
    for. Focus; it's really the key to every success in life, including this one.
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with Beverage... Is there a bench free, and did the last a** wipe their sweat off of it, because that's just gross man.

I have a friend who lifts and he is forever complaining about people who don't wipe the benches down. LOL :D

Oh that and the zumba people who 'sit' all over the weight benches 30 mins before their class begins ;)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

Icewolf - I've ordered it through a second hand book seller, but still waiting for it to arrive. . .

Thanks everyone for taking time to help.

Curious what book you are talking about!
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Emma:
    Revised Edition:
    The Body Sculpting Bible for Women. by James Villepigue and Hugo Rivera. Healthy Living Books. Has a DVD that comes with it.
    NOT that I've used it, it's still unopened (the dvd) And the first chapter is some tree hugging get your head wrapped right ****. LOL

But there are 60 pages on training, rest and recovery and nutrition.
    182 pages of exercises, grouped by body area to work out (legs, triceps, etc)
    And then some 50/60 pages of charts and schedules to get you working out in the right order/pattern to get the most from your workouts. (thus promising the most out of a 14 day workout plan)

All black and white, but really nice photos. Clear directions how to do the exercises and quite nice information. (aside from the first chapter I totally skipped) :D
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks i must have a look for it