Menopausal weight

Options
What should my calorie intake be for fat loss and to build muscle when your hormones have changed

Replies

• weezyd1977
    weezyd1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Work out your calorie intake based on your weight and activity levels. Use a calorie calculator on Google to work this out

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Menopause doesn't make a significant difference.

You can use MFP's estimate just like anyone else would.

Follow the estimate reasonably closely for 4-6 weeks. (Shoot for maybe +/- 50 calories daily on average).

Compare your actual average weekly loss over that whole time to the target loss you told MFP.

Adjust calorie goal based on that experience/result if necessary.

The testing then adjusting isn't because of menopause. It's because MFP or any other calculator just spits out the average for superficially similar people. You're an individual, and individuals can differ.

If you still had monthly cycles, I'd say to calculate average weekly loss by comparing body weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different cycles. There, hormones do have an effect.

I've been in menopause for 23 years. I lost weight in 2015-16 (obese to healthy range), have been maintaining for 7+ years since. I've found I can still build muscle the same way others would: Regular progressive strength training, good nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), persistence.

Muscle gain will be slow at best alongside weight loss (for anyone) but strength training will help retain existing muscle as fat is lost. Also, if new to strength training, strength gains can be quite fast at first, even without gaining muscle mass. Strength is useful in itself, so worth pursuing.

Don't let the blogosphere's persistent nonsense about menopause get you down. (Usually, they're just trying to sell you something. :D ).

You can reach your goals: I'm cheering for you!

• jaxluvthebeach
    jaxluvthebeach Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am 52 years old, 3 years post menopause and besides having a vast array of symptoms over the years, I was able to maintain my weight till last year. All of a sudden I gained 20 pounds over a year period and I have a fat on my abdomen/stomach area and my back. I was exercising 6-7 days a week just cardio for one hour which I have done for many years and eating healthy and the weight still went on! I changed my workout to 5 days a week as I thought at this point I could be overdoing it and 3 of those I added a strength training and lowered the amount of cardio I doing. I now have two rest days where I try to take just light walks. I also try to get between 15,000-20,000 steps a day (that includes the exercise) I believe I eat healthy although I guess I could eat less of it and lower my carb intake somewhat. I also eat gluten free. I don't know what to do at this point to lose this weight, its so frustrating to see the scale keep going up when you are trying your hardest!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am 52 years old, 3 years post menopause and besides having a vast array of symptoms over the years, I was able to maintain my weight till last year. All of a sudden I gained 20 pounds over a year period and I have a fat on my abdomen/stomach area and my back. I was exercising 6-7 days a week just cardio for one hour which I have done for many years and eating healthy and the weight still went on! I changed my workout to 5 days a week as I thought at this point I could be overdoing it and 3 of those I added a strength training and lowered the amount of cardio I doing. I now have two rest days where I try to take just light walks. I also try to get between 15,000-20,000 steps a day (that includes the exercise) I believe I eat healthy although I guess I could eat less of it and lower my carb intake somewhat. I also eat gluten free. I don't know what to do at this point to lose this weight, its so frustrating to see the scale keep going up when you are trying your hardest!

If you haven't increased your food intake, then I'd suggest a doctor's appointment. Thyroid issues are common and can cause weight gain. So can certain other medications such as antidepressants.

"All of a sudden" weight gain could be a serious medical issue.
  • jaxluvthebeach
    Options
    Thank you! I had my thyroid checked so its not that. I am thinking maybe I should have my hormones checked. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for your response!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had my thyroid checked so its not that. I am thinking maybe I should have my hormones checked. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for your response!

Why not open an own thread? Then we can discuss how we can help you. But just a question: are you in a calorie deficit or at maintenance? Are you weighing everything on a scale, and also log the right amount of cooking oil, cream for coffee, drinks with calories?
  • jaxluvthebeach
    Options
    Thank you, I haven't been on here in a few years so I forgot how everything works! I am not weighing things on a scale but today I started to measure my food and started to log it in here on the app. I am not sure if I am in a calorie deficit but I am thinking I am not as the weight keeps going on. Thanks for your response and I will try to figure out how to do my own post. Have a good day!