5’7 male trying to cut from 165lbs

Options
5’7 29 male trying to cut from 165-150/145 without substantial muscle loss, any advice and what would be the correct percentages to input for my fitness pal for that mission?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    The defaults aren't a terrible place to start for most people, as long as they don't try to lose weight silly-fast. (There's no way to get adequate total nutrition on too-low calories.)

That said, I'd suggest figuring out at least protein needs in grams, then setting percentages to get around that level. This is an evidence based source for protein needs estimates:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

You can base the estimate on goal weight.

Good overall nutrition in other ways would be a plus, too. (I mean getting some healthy fats, and plenty of varied/colorful fruits and veggies for micronutrients and fiber.) Combine that with slow weight loss (especially since you don't have lots to lose), and a good progressive strength training program, and you'll be doing the most you can to preserve muscle while losing fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    250 deficit, lift to retain muscle, ensure that you're taking in enough protein to reduce catabolism.
    Oh and be patient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joeyangelr
    joeyangelr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do I calculate all that to get the correct diet plan/calorie deficit plan? @ninerbuff
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can present the math in a simple-to-follow example:

Let's say your weight does not change if you eat 2,000 calories per day. To lose weight slowly, reduce this by 250:

2,000 - 250 = 1,750

This is the total of protein, fats and carbs for the day. As a bodybuilder looking to maintain muscle during a fat-loss phase, you'll want as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, so 165g in your case. At 4 calories per gram of protein, this means you reserve

165 * 4 = 660 calories of protein

The ratio of fat to carbs is highly individual. But for sake of argument, let's say you go with 20% fat for your diet (a good minimum to ensure proper hormone regulation).

1,750 * 20% = 350 calories fat

At 9 calories per gram of fat, this means you will eat

350 / 9 = 38.9g fat

The rest of your daily calories would then be carbs at 4 calories per gram:

1,750 (total) - 660 (protein) - 350 (fat) = 740 (carbs)
    740 / 4 = 185g carbs

Thus, if your goal is 1,750 calories for the day, one possible breakdown would be 165g protein, 39g fat, 185g carbs.

Any additional calories you earn during the day need to be offset by additional food eaten at a roughly 40%P/20%F/40%C ratio. For example, an hour of lifting burning 250 calories can be offset by taking in an extra 25g protein, 5g fat, 25g carbs. Many protein shakes fit this.