Let's you and me make some history

Options
Hey everyone! The name's Kelly and gald to be here. A little about me is I have struggled with weight all my life. It's probably a trait I learned from my mom and from sexual abuse.

In 2016 I weighed 352 (highest recoded weight and decided to get a gastric sleeve operation in Mexico and loved loosing the weight almost effortlessly. I even was able to run my first fun run and 5k. I eventually got down to 183 pounds.

I stuck with the program for a little over a year until I went to a wedding reception and had a bite of wedding cake and it all went down hill from there.

I am now at 286 so about 60 pounds from where I was originally at in 2016.

I ma just trying to make sense of where to go from here. I have even thought of having the gastric sleeve revised.

Friends and accountability friends would be welcomed.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• bellevuefreak96
    Options
    xal5vlf1e7pn.jpg

Probably, the pinnacle of the highest weight I have been
  • bellevuefreak96
    Options
    ln2a42dkawl9.jpg

Running my first mile fun run.
  • bellevuefreak96
    Options
    qd1kthwh7jgd.jpg

The thinnest I have ever been.
  • bellevuefreak96
    Options
    1mqgvs8z4x8w.jpg

Current weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just have to address the issues of why you overeat. Is it out of stress, boredom, anxiety, etc. Revising the sleeve only takes care of a symptom and you'll keep regaining if you don't address why you overeat. I don't know if you've spoken to a therapist on it, but I would encourage it. But you've lost weight before, so it's not impossible to be there again. Planned program and consistency always wins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome back: I hope you can make this time the charm for permanent life and health changes.

On the practical logistics front, you obviously know the drill for weight loss/fitness. You can do it.

I'm with niner up there: There can be more to it than the practical logistics. It's the underlying causes or triggers, the "whys" that are tougher, but also really important if one is to make a lasting change. I'd agree that if you need help digging into thought patterns and remodeling them, it can be great to work with a professional who's experienced with that.

Truth in advertising: I didn't consult someone for that kind of support during weight loss, personally. I have done so in another area of my life, though, with positive outcomes. There should be no more stigma to that than for calling a plumber if we have problems with our pipes, or consulting a mechanic when the car's acting up.

Wishing you a smooth course, and long-term success!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly, welcome!

Fellow theater fan here!

Also fellow abuse survivor and bad eating habit legacy. My highest was 374 (that I know of, couldn't always get weighed), I'm down in the 290s now and still going.

Funny how one little trigger can undo so much hard work, huh? I've had my ups and downs too.

Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • Jammers214
    Jammers214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, our lives have lots of parallels, i.e. struggling to lose weight, having learned bad eating habits & surviving SA. I don’t have any answers for you. I know that I emotionally eat & stress eat, but knowing that information hasn’t been enough to help me stop. I think that, going forward, the key pieces for me will be, if my intention to get down to a healthier weight is going to be successful, that it has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, and that I need the help of a supportive community. I have not had those two keys before, and that’s why I’m here. I hope that you feel supported here, Kelly!

All the best,
    James
  • Bondie7
    Bondie7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had VSG back in March 2020. I was 267 pounds and now I'm at 180. I have lost slower than most people but the weight loss and been somewhat consistent (gain and lose a few pounds at a time). I now see food as my addiction and am trying to view my eating that way. For example, fast food and potato chips are my enemy! I have learned not to keep those in the house. If I want something (mainly chips), I buy a small bag and let that be it. Also, I started intermittent fasting; I rarely ever eat before noon. I will drink (sugar-free coffee, tea, zero powerade, etc) and keep busy. I exercise every morning six days a week (cardio and resistance) and I log my food into MFP.

I hear a lot of people say that weight loss surgery is the easy way out --- if only they knew! It's just another tool in the box that we can use to help us. Good luck!