disappointed :(

Options
I've been using mfp now for a week and haven't seen any changes in weight.... in fact, the scale says I've gained weight! I've been burning over 200 cals a day working and have been at or slightly below my cal. levels each day.

I'm just confused what's going on and if anyone has any advice that would be great!

Replies

• adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A week is a short amount of time to expect results. For me, it was the whole lifestyle change and changing the way I thought about eating and then having MFP just helped that even more.

Keep doing what you are doing, and toss your scale out the window. Judge your success by how your clothing feels, take your measurements.

But most of all, don't give up! We all start out here and are overwhelmed with what we have to do, but it will happen for you.

Good luck
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    One week is too early to see a difference in my experience. If people can see your food diary, they may be able to offer helpful advice relating to diet.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories. oh and water , water, water!!!

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • gladjar
    Options
    It could be that you are starting to gain muscle! Give it a little bit of time and do not get discouraged. Start trying to aim for a slightly brisker walk or jog or a few more minutes of cardio / strength training. Eventually, you will be back on the weight loss journey! Good Luck! xx

(Also, do not eat less, what your eating right now is perfect! If you tend to eat a lot of carbs during the day, do not eat any for dinner. However, don't get a depletion in calories in doing so. )
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    If you want some REAL advice here, you really should open your food diary so folks can have a look at what you're eating.

At first glance, i can only comment that if your "ticker" is right, you have little to lose (13 pds) which indicates to me that you are a person that MUST eat ALL of your daily calories AND your exercise calories to lose any weight.

Many others will agree with this, so there's ONE thing to look at and think about changing.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Everyone's progress will vary. Some people lose a lot the first week, some lose nothing. Some lose a lot every week, some (like me) maybe lose a a half pound. Don't think that you're going to see crazy amounts such as what you see on the Biggest Loser--that's not normal. You really need to just stay honest with your logging and supporting lifestyle changes that will help you keep the weight off once you lose it, and not expect immediate results.

I keep reminding myself--it's been 21 years since my lowest post-pregnancy weight and 30 (!!!) since my lowest adult weight, so why should I be disheartened that I can't lose all the extra weight in a few months? Even when my weight is stuck (which is does for weeks at a time), I can see other differences--losing inches, have more stamina when I exercise, etc.--so using weight loss as the only measure of success doesn't show an accurate picture.
  • lkelly
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! It can take up to three weeks for some people to see a significant change. I agree that showing your food journal would be helpful, but thats up to you and how comfortable you are. Keep working hard!
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it takes patience. The results will show up if you keep at it. I am going into my fourth week. I have lost 13 pounds, 3 jean sizes and still going strong. Diet and exercise both are the key.

Getting healthy once more is a long term life changing effort and worth it.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories. oh and water , water, water!!!

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

This person said they have only been on MFP for a week, under eating for a week will not cause your body to go into starvation mode.

Everyone else is right, a week is too soon to tell. It usually takes about 2 weeks for changes in the body to show on the outside and on the scales. Patience child. Haha. Please don't give up just because you don't see results right away!! If you do you will continue to weigh what you weigh, maybe even more. Stick with it and you will see and feel changes and you will be sooooo happy!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    6 days after poining MFP I weighed 400grams more than when I started:noway: 17 days later I weighed 5 whole kilos less! :happy:

stick with it!:flowerforyou:
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    it took a couple of weeks for me to see any change; then when the scales moved, I got more motivation and they moved even more! Hang in there for a couple of weeks and don't weigh everyday, you will drive yourself crazy. You wouldn't expect to have a 6 pack after a week of working out, or to be promoted to CEO in a week; these things are gradual and it takes time for your body to adjust. Don't get discouraged, it will happen if you stick with it.

Also, take a look at your settings (My Home, Settings, Update Your Diet Profile). Be sure your weight is correct, especially check your normal daily activities settings. Don't include exercise in that. I sit behind a desk all day, but I work out six days a week, sometimes for an hour or more, but I still select Sedentary, since without exercising, that is where I would be.

Good luck!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    One week is too short of a time to tell, give yourself more time and stick with it...for me I actually found that I had to eat the full amount of the allowed calories. After doing so for one solid week I have lost 4 lbs....I am now so excited and even more motivated! Hang in there...you can do this!
  • lalinzki
    Options
    That's crazy I was just going to post something like this. One of the reasons that I have staid in the same weight and not seem to loose at the scale is because of the whey protein I take, with that being said I cut it off completely out of my life. I box and train hard but it seems that I was not loosing weight and was getting frustrated. So making changers to your foods or exercises might help. Also like people here said 1 wk is not enough time to see real improvements. Everyone's body is not the same, people loose weight fast, other slow. Don't be discourage and be happy that your here at MFP I know I am :wink: