Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss and body dysmorphia

Hello all. I've lost nearly 60 lbs in the last year and a half and I still have more to go. I'm proud of my progress but 90 percent of the time I cant see the difference between what I look like now and what I look like 60 lbs heavier. Even in pictures I feel like I look basically the same. Ik that this can't be possible and that it's some trick of my brain but I'm wondering if anyone has tips for dealing with what's presumably body dysmorphia?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Is this distressing to you, causing anxiety or self-criticism or something? If not, i.e., if you can use your rational brain's knowledge that you have made real progress to avoid negative emotions about it, I'd say: Ride it out. It will pass, eventually, I'd predict.

It took me a surprisingly long time for my self-image and self-perception to catch up with my actual body's appearance. I think this is pretty normal (at least I hope it is! ;) ). But as time went on, my internal self-image and actual body shape converged more and more - kind of on an in and out basis, oddly.

I can't tell you a timeline, but there was some progress within weeks at goal weight, but occasional slips back now and then for months. It's years in maintenance now, but I still have the odd moments when buying clothes or something when I pick up pants that are the right size, and think they look impossibly small. But it's rare, and I find it amusing at this point.

If you're experiencing negative emotions around this, that's a whole different question. Being conscientious about regular weigh-ins, tape-measurements, and front/side/back photos might help a little. Affirmations might help a little. If it's extreme, that's a thing I'd consider consulting a professional about. There should be no stigma associated with that. In one sense, it's no different from calling a plumber if the pipes are leaking. There are people who are pros about helping us with problematic thought patterns, just like there are pros who can help us with nutrition plans or exercise schedules.

Best wishes!

• collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    When I had lost 40 pounds at that point, I couldn't see it in my self either......until I bought a new pair of pants and a t shirt that actually fit me and didn't hang off of me. So maybe you could try getting a new proper fitting outfit. Because surely after losing 60 pounds you have went down in sizes.