I need a miracle- New girl on the block :)

Options
Hi everyone, :smile:

I am new to this site and I am hoping that this is going to help me finally shed some of the dreaded weight!

I have a lot of weight to lose (8 stone) and I am thinking of joining the diet chef programme as I cannot rejoin weightwatchers or slimming world anymore lol.

I suffer with underactive thyroid, M.E and Fibromyalgia so weight loss is a real battle :(

I would love to make some new friends for support and laughs along the way :)

Jenny xxxx :happy:

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I suffer with underactive thyroid, M.E and Fibromyalgia so weight loss is a real battle :(

A battle but not impossible, i have some stunning examples of progress despite these problems in my friends list.

Welcome and good luck.
  • lynicholson
    Options
    I joined awhile ago, but never used the site. I have just started using it and I think I am going to love it. I too need a miracle. Let's just keep plugging away. Lynn
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place. I have been on here for a little over 4 months now and have truly loved the support and motivation I have received from my many new friends. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • ginurse_amy
    Options
    Hi Jenny Welcome to MFP- you will definitely get the support you need on here. I am fairly new as well but have been on my own weight loss track for almost a year now. Have yo-yo'd a little but started out just before Thanksgiving last year at 181 and am now at 154 so am pretty happy with that. Are you going to be on here daily? Keep in touch. Amy. :wink:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I joined just a few weeks ago and I love it!! So much support and knowledge all in one spot....good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • pattynava
    Options
    Welcome from KY....It's a great site...Feel free to friend me, and we can support, and help each other :smile:
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi i also have thyroid problems and ive lost 51lbs to date so it can be achieved with simple healthy eating and good food choices...remember its not a race its a life style change !! good luck you are welcombe to add me x
  • reneetollison
    reneetollison Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost 48 pounds since joining this site on June 2, just under four months. I had some success with Atkins in the past, but wasn't able to continue it long-term. I just love my fruits which is a no-no.

My back was injured in a car accident in 2005. At the time, I was walking two miles a day and had lost 35 pounds. I had to stop for 9 months while my back healed and now live with chronic back pain from arthritis that set in after the injury resolved. During those 9 months and the 5+ years since then, I slowly gained over 70 pounds. Along with that came high blood pressure and borderline diabetes. At the time of the wreck, I was also going through menopause, so lack of sleep was also an issue. I had zero energy and couldn't sleep more than 2 hours straight.

In July 2010 I had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I began using a C-pap machine, but didn't sleep any better. I tried every generic sleep medicine out there before my insurance would finally pay for the name brand Ambien CR. Suddenly, I was sleeping but had no more energy during the day.

Then a new symptom started - depression. It crept up on me slowly at first. Then one day it was like someone turned a switch off in me, and I couldn't get up off the couch. I missed my daughter's baby shower. Then one night after I had taken my sleep medicine, it occured to me it might be a side effect of Ambien. As soon as I stopped it, I began to feel better. The depression was gone, but I was back where I had started almost a year before. No sleep = no energy = no will power to diet or exercise.

Finally a few weeks later my doctor did a saliva hormone test. I started using a progesterone cream and immediately started feeling better. I also learned that when you aren't getting enough sleep, you're tired all the time and your body craves carbohydrates and then stores them as fat.

On May 28, my second beautiful grandson was born. On that same day I learned about My Fitness Pal from my daughter's doctor. He had lost weight using it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I quickly learned that to stay under 1200 calories, I'd have to cut out the fats, mostly meats. I had never been successful with low fat in the past, so I doubted it would work for me. I was a meat eater. Meat-lover's pizza was my favorite. Now I can't stand the thoughts of putting all that grease in my stomach.

It was difficult at first, but My Fitness Pal gave me all the tools I needed to be successful. I learned to read labels and control portions. I also learned that eating lots of fruit (something I had been depriving myself of or feeling guilty about indulging in since Atkins) gave me the fullness I needed for little calories.

Doing it with a friend also helped. I set my first goal at losing 80 pounds which would put me at the same weight my friend started at (152). I've now lost 48 pounds (she's lost 5) and gone from a size 20 to a 12. I hope that by Christmas I'll be in a 10.

I tell you my story only to help inspire and motivate you. I don't know what your health issues are, but if you are overweight, I know you have them. When I started in June, I could barely walk 3 mph for 20 minutes. On September 2, I walk/ran a 5K in 47.01 minutes. I may have only been number 992 in the race, but I beat 47 other people! If I can do it, I know you can too. Good luck in your journey. Send me a friend request if you want to keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.
  • bumpkinbee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the fab welcome :)
    I have finally received my first diet chef hamper so Im officially starting friday :)
    Can't wait!
    Hope everyone is having a good week
    Jenny x