Shakeology advice

Options
Hey Peeps

So I am a Insanity and TurboFire convert, I absolutely love these dvds and can really see the benefits from them. After the dvds there is a advertisement for Shakeology. I have googled my booty off to get unbiased reviews on these shakes then I thought who best to ask than my fellow MFPalians.

So my questions are, do you drink these shakes and what were the benefits , if any?

Replies

• Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really love Shakeology. Although it can be costly, it has really helped jump start my weight loss. I use it 4-5 times a week as my morning breakfast and have lost 15 pounds since August 23rd when I began using Shakeology, exercise, and MFP.

It is hard to find unbiased reviews... I had to rely on friends I knew who were using the product. I do have more energy and I am more "regular"...I cannot drink them mixed with water only...but I love the chocolate mixed with milk or coconut water. The greenberry flavor is "ok", but I can't do it longer term. I am nearly finished with my first bag and have another waiting in the wings.

No, I'm not a seller...etc. In fact - I bought my two bags off eBay!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire! I really like the Chocolate shakeology, but it is a bit pricey. I have been drinking it for a couple months and it does keep me full. However, due to the price I won't be buying it anymore. :( I can't say that I really experienced any other benefits aside from it keeping me full for several hours.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them for a week. I have felt good, been much more "regular". Lost 3 pounds first week. We'll see how it goes from here...I am replacing one meal a day for 90 days.

I mix with skim milk - only tried chocolate so far. Can't wait to try tropical. I've also ordered the fiber since I rarely get to my goal.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Never used them personally but have heard from friends that they only beneifts they see is the fullness factor. They found them to be too expensive to keep doing them all the time.

I drink a whey protein shake from time to time to replace meals and for recovery after hard gym workouts. Musletech is the brand.
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the shakes yet, but I plan to do so. I also haven't tried insanity (it's next on my list), but I have currently completed day 2 of the 5 day plan and OMG. I feel like my insides are burning and my blood is boiling and I'm so sore afterwards, but I love it. I am a TurboJam cheerleader and this is even better.

I want to research the shakes a little before I buy them. But if you find some good advice, please let me know.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Eh, they are super expensive!!! I have a protein powder from GNC that is tasty and low in sugar and carbs and best of all affordable! Im sure this thread will gather all the coaches that sell Shakeology and they will tell you its the best thing after sliced bread...and it probably is really good, but to me not work the absurd amount of money. Good luck!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I drank them....I would say the biggest benefit was a higher energy level, it helped me break me through my plateau and start losing again, and it tasted so dang good!!!! It is pricey at first look, but if you see it as a meal replacement, then it isn't really that bad (how much does a person drop on a starbucks coffee? or a fast food lunch?) I also noticed it helped me with my sugar cravings, which helped me kick the soda habit that I hadn;t been able to let go of yet. Hope this helps!!! I am unbiased, but it's good stuff :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Eh, they are super expensive!!! I have a protein powder from GNC that is tasty and low in sugar and carbs and best of all affordable! Im sure this thread will gather all the coaches that sell Shakeology and they will tell you its the best thing after sliced bread...and it probably is really good, but to me not work the absurd amount of money. Good luck!

This. I make my own protein shakes with protein powder from from Whole Foods.
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think of the Shakeology the way that I do a meal replacement shake - but the biggest difference is all the vitamins/minerals and probiotics. I had had a struggle with regularity until adding shakeology (probably more than you needed or wanted to know).

Great meal replacement.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on finding something (Insanity and TurboFire) that you love to do. My wife and I just wrapped up P90X and she is moving on to Insanity next. I am not sure what my next step is at this time...probably P90X, but more of a bulking cycle, with less cardio. We shall see...but I will be doing something, that is what is imporant.

Per Shakeology. My wife and I both started taking this around day 30 of P90X. We both love the chocolate shake. We take 1 cup almond vanilla milk or 1% milk, 1 cup chopped ice and a small spoon of natural peanut butter and blend it up for a very tasty shake.

For us, just like the Beachbody programs are a bit of a spoon feeding, meaning they make everything easy for us.
    They put our workouts on a DVD so we can do them in the comfort of our homes, they give us instructions as to what the schedule is we should do the workouts, we even have nutritional guides to help us along the way with what we should eat.

So Shakeology was something that is much better than just a protein shake, something per documentation better then it's competition within the meal replacement shake category as well.

I am confident that with enough time and money you can mix together something equally good, if not better then Shakeology. But the convenience factor is what I was sold on. It's an all-in-one, where everything else we have to piece together.

In whatever you decide, cheers to you and your healthy lifestyle!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For the price you'd expect a better put together product, you can do better for cheaper if you look at any number of protein powders on the market and a half decent multi
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That being said, you have to look at the price. If you eat out at lunch everyday, and used trhis as a replacement, it would be cost effective. If you get a coffee everyday, and replace that cost with this, it is worth it. But it has to be a MEAL REPLACEMENT....it does keep you full, and is loaded with good nutrients...I mixed protein powder, PB, and skim milk in with mine and it really was good. For me, b/c i DON'T go to starbucks or out to lunch everyday, it was pricey b/c my lunch at home was cheaper than the shake.....but, at the same time...it does helkp with getting your fiber, calcium, and nutrients for the day (esp. if you are not a big veggie eater) , and with regularity....and did increase my energy levels, and help me blast through my weight I was stuck at. I'm trying to get back on them again when I can.....i miss it, but had other priorites....
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tried Shakeology for a month. And like most folks on here, found it made me more "regular", but with having my gall bladder removed that seemed to have the same effect. I didn't lose any weight, but I wasn't exercising like I am now.

The chocolate is the best one. I find that my whey protein seems to do the trick for keeping me fuller and it's much cheaper.
  • pilipok73
    pilipok73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share my opinion about Shakeology. I love P90X and think Tony is THE BOMB, but in regards to the shakes I am not so sure. I was looking into buying it at some point but then I compared ingredients with other protein shakes and didn't noticed much difference. I currently use BSN Lean Dessert, which has many flavors and tastes great even when mixed with water, and Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein before bedtime.
    My friend suggested to try Life Basics plant protein and nutritional label looks great so I will get it next.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Too expensive? It's $4.00 a shake. I used to spend twice that on lunch each day.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Too expensive? It's $4.00 a shake. I used to spend twice that on lunch each day.

IMO that is still expensive.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I drank them....I would say the biggest benefit was a higher energy level, it helped me break me through my plateau and start losing again, and it tasted so dang good!!!! It is pricey at first look, but if you see it as a meal replacement, then it isn't really that bad (how much does a person drop on a starbucks coffee? or a fast food lunch?) I also noticed it helped me with my sugar cravings, which helped me kick the soda habit that I hadn;t been able to let go of yet. Hope this helps!!! I am unbiased, but it's good stuff :)
    Agree to all this! I only use 3/4 of a scoop so every 5th shake is free! LOL
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options

IMO that is still expensive.

It would be ok if i didnt have a family to feed as well as myself....im not going to spend $120 a month on just one meal a day just for ME.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My boss uses Shakeology along side his first swoop of P90X. He likes them.

He did say, however, that my protein powder worked just as well and he saw no difference from drinking one form of protein versus the Shakeology.

In case you decide to go the protein powder route, I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey - Chocolate and Vanilla. I think I spend around $56-ish dollars for a 5 lb container of Whey. There are 71 scoops per container. You can get more than two months (at one shake a day) costing you $1.09 a shake.

I also have some awesome recipes (food and drink ones) for this powder ;D
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million for all your replies. I would love to try a sample of shakeology but I cant seem to get hold of any because i live in the UK.