Training Question

Options
bennyg1973
bennyg1973 Posts: 39 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I need to lose over 100 lbs. Is it true that the best method is a combination of weight training (light weights, high reps) and cardio each time? (Cardio is fast walk on treadmill to cool down.)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your diet and calorie consumption is going to be far more impactful than what exercise you're doing. Normal amounts of regular exercise doesn't really burn the kind of calories that people typically think and pale in comparison to the calories you burn merely existing and going about your day to day.

That said, regular exercise has a massive impact on overall health and wellness. Most health bodies recommend 150 minutes of light cardiovascular exercise per week (this would include walking) or 75 minutes of more strenuous cardiovascular work per week as minimums. This builds and maintains your cardiovascular system and cardiovascular health. Most also recommend at least 2x per week of full body resistance training which is important to preservation of muscle mass as well as bone health and functional strength (pretty important with the aging process).

I tend to break up my exercise due in large part to time constraints. Most of my cardiovascular work is walking which I do either first thing in the morning when I get up or I go out during my lunch break...sometimes both. I also do some interval training on my bike and indoor training a couple times per week time permitting. I do calisthenics with my 13 yo son on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and we go to the gym weight room on Saturday mornings. Most of the weekend I leave open to outdoor physical recreation like mountain biking or going for a trail ride or a hike or kayaking, etc.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    OP, the best method is diet. Exercise helps a bit, and it helps you in many other ways (health, strength, bone mass, positive mood, muscle mass retention/building, etc.)

With 100 pounds to lose, you'll get huge savings in your diet by simply reducing/subbing major contributors to your daily intake, whether that's full sugar soda, beer, dessert every evening, fast food, too much eating out, etc.

Again thinking of that much to lose, you'll get huge benefits by walking regularly.

Start lifting, sure, but I would suggest that be your #3 priority for now, behind diet and light cardio. Good luck.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    How much you weigh is determined in the kitchen; how you wear your weight is determined in the gym.

Two people can weigh exactly the same but have radically different ratios of muscle to bodyfat. Get the right mix of exercise, as pointed out above, and you'll be well on your way to a healthy mix. But in terms of losing weight, it's mostly about how much you take in (food).
  • bennyg1973
    bennyg1973 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    These are very helpful, thank you! I always feel good after working out anyway, so might as well maintain some muscle too!