How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weekly on Thursday morning. I weighed in daily for quite awhile until that data became non-informative and really only served as extraneous noise.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here. I once went a few months or so without weighing since I was tracking my intake. After deciding to weigh myself and seeing that I'd only lost a few kilograms I decided to go back to daily weighing.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    👋, another daily weigher here 😉… I like to collect the data. I also use a weight trending app to filter out the highs and lows. I used to be terrified of the scale. Exposure therapy has helped a lot over the years, I now see it as just another tool to measure progress towards my longterm goals. It no longer messes with my head, I don’t feel like a failure when I gain a pound instead of lose a pound because I can see with the data that’s natural for my body to fluctuate.

I take this approach as well. "Exposure therapy" was the term I was thinking even before I read Herblovinmom's post. After months of seeing a number every day I very quickly work through the thought patterns that used to stick with me all day (or until I stepped on the scale and saw a different number). I have learned what patterns I can anticipate in my monthly cycle, when I fly, when I've had lots of salt, etc. I am much quicker to get to the "hmmm, that's interesting" view of a higher than expected number than I used to be, and can remind myself of the effectiveness of not being reactive to the number on the scale because I've seen that the trend has stayed on track in the downward direction despite those "blips" or "plateaus" I have seen.

So that's what works for me, but I'm also a data geek and know lots of people who are successful with weekly or even less frequently.
  • 16More
    16More Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a day sometimes more. It's either the body scale or the kitchen one, but managing weight on a more consistent basis is more satisfying because I am always up to date.
  • MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Switching to weekly. I was becoming obsessive and am concerned about developing issues if I do any more than that. If you are feeling obsessive, like you said above, I'd recommend going no more than weekly as well.