Need Advice!!!! People who quit something and succeeded

Options
13»

Replies

• Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,688 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Quit smoking several times---never think you can have just one. Just this time. NOPE. My final time, decades ago now, best tip was to deep breathe through the craving, with a promise it does go away in 1-3 minutes, also told it might be gone for just seconds before it starts again, but knowing how it does stop, you just breathe through it again. Amazed when I realized absolutely true. This was the really changing tip for me. Another thing for me, was that I was washing light color walls. My bucket was getting absolutely brown water every few feet and I would have to change it. And it absolutely was coming off those walls. I could see the difference in the unwashed section next to the washed. I realized it was NICOTINE. I started picturing that brown film coating my lungs every time I smoked just as it coated my walls.
  • laz5276
    laz5276 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for thinking about quitting. I quit 45 years ago. My Grandfather died many years ago with lung cancer ( heavy smoker), my Mother died of lung cancer ( heavy smoker), then they found a non-cancerous tumor in my lung. My 6 year old had allergies. It finally hit me-QUIT SMOKING! As soon as I really made up my mind and committed to it, it was easier. Think of why you want to quit and what it means to the people around you. Good Luck.
  • scavonedan
    scavonedan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking alcohol after eating and drinking myself into a gout attack. It wasn't easy, as home brewing craft beer was my main hobby at that time and I had to get rid of all my gear and have a rethink. For a couple of years I'd get the occasional craving where I really fancied and ice cold brew on a hot day etc but over time that faded to the point I never give it a second thought now.

It was a bit difficult for a while when others around were doing the old "just have one, it won't do any harm" routine - but I had the memory of the pain of a gout flare up in my mind as a deterrent.

Same here! Gout hurts worse than anything I have ever experienced. Dr said watch the alcohol and all the "purines" I consumed. Keeping a log I found what did or did not cause a flare up. Two years now no alcohol and almost 100% plant based diet.

Good news is all the sugar in alcohol is now avoided! Stop drinking and you lose weight fast.
  • KristenLeigh941
    KristenLeigh941 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 11 years ago after being a chain smoker for 14 years. You CAN do it, but it will require a multifaceted approach that involves looking inward at the reasons you desire smoking and the role/function it is playing in your life. I know it sounds ridiculous, but what honestly turned it around for me was Allen Carr's classic book "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking." I tried to quit in 2008 through willpower and it went very badly. I don't remember how I came across this book but it was probably one of the most important things I've ever read. I STOPPED trying to quit through willpower and started genuinely doing the kind of inner work he was talking about, to observe myself, my desires, and the need that smoking was filling in my life. It took 4 years of this, but when I was ready, I was ready. It was still hard, and I used nicotine patches and had to really sit with a lot of feelings. If you have been using smoking as an emotional crutch (as so many of us did/do) then you will need to learn how to sit with hard feelings. I also did not announce "I'm quitting smoking on such and such day!" but I just took it one day at a time, similar to the AA approach. When I quit this way, I did not feel deprived of anything. I felt increasingly more free every day. It took about two years for the cravings to really stop and for me to stop smoking in my dreams and that sort of thing. But honestly now... I never think about it. Ever. I forget sometimes that I used to be a smoker. I love my life now and think it's so weird that I used to feel like I needed that in order to be okay.

You can do it. Get the stupid self-help book. It's a life saver.
  • bcasallas
    bcasallas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on April 18, 2022. I have been a smoker since I was 12 years old, and the longest I could ever quit was about 6 months. How did I quit? I finally had enough. I had enough of being winded just walking up the stairs. I climbed to the peak of Mount Rose Summit, and was so out of breath the entire hike, that it kind of ruined the moment for me. I finally chose for myself. I wanted to be healthier for me. So many people say that they quit for others, or their "Why" is for their children. My why, I realized, had to be for me. I need to be healthy and happy in my life, for me, and that is what my focus has become. I tried using the patch, and the gum but had adverse reactions to both. So, I threw it all out and decided to just stop with all of it. I do crave a cigarette every day because I smoked for over 30 years. It gets easier as the time passes.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I smoked cigarettes for 15 years (age 25 to age 40ish). It took me three good 8-12 week "I'm quitting" efforts, but eventually I pulled through. I used a nicotine nasal spray prescription that wasn't covered by my health insurance, but I figured it was still cheaper than a heart attack. I used the nasal spray to replace my smoke breaks and weaned myself off a bit each week -- I created a plan for myself like I'll take away my lunch time smoke and have spray instead, etc. It took about 3 - 8 to 12 week efforts to actually quit. Once transitioned from cigs to the spray, I started weaning off the spray and stepped down my nicotine intake to the gum, then weaned off of that. All in all, it took me 4-5 months to completely get off of nicotine. After that I accepted that I'd want to smoke, but I couldn't. Eventually, I stopped thinking about it - which I guess means my addiction had been broken. Best of luck!
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 214 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I quit smoking on July 3, 1998, at 1 a.m. after smoking about 1 1/4 packs a day for 19 years. I had tried the year before but only made it to 5 months. I quit cold turkey, but what really helped was an internet discussion board. Those were just starting to appear, so after dialing up my internet connection (yep, it was.a long time ago!), I found a group and posted a message because I was one week in and thinking of going to the local bodega for a pack of cigs. Almost immediately, a bunch of complete strangers from who knows where posted helpful suggestions for things I could do instead: go for a walk, go swimming, etc. I didn’t do any of those things, but just knowing there were people out there in the ether who understood and wanted to help kept me going. Kinda like here. :)

Back then, a lot of people on the board were using the patch or gum. Some were taking Wellbutrin, an antidepressant that was found to induce quitting in smokers during clinical trials. Many reported eating ice-cream flavoured lollipops, I think, called Chupa Chups. (I never quite figured out what those were). My trick? I ate three pints of blueberries a day. Everyone was worried about gaining weight.

Another thing that helped was a little piece of software called SilkQuit. You’d put it on your computer and fill in when you quit, how much you smoked, and the cost. Then it would do a running calculation of how long you’d been ”smober,” how much money you’d saved, and (questionable value) how much time you’d added to your life. That was a huge motivator. Oh, and the admin people had a setup where you’d get an emailed certificate marking your quit date anniversary each year.

I don’t remember what that group was called - something like better4u? best4u? - but I’ll always be grateful to them. I still maintain that if I, someone with very addictive qualities, could quit smoking, anyone can. I stopped getting bronchitis. I felt tired naturally at normal times. My hair and bras didn’t reek anymore. My face stopped looking yellowish (I didn’t know about this but found out when a guy who worked the deli counter at my local grocery and saw me regularly commented on it!).

A year after quitting smoking, I quit coffee - I’d been drinking 5-6 cups a day with half-and-half - because a cup of coffee without a cigarette just wasn’t the same.

But I still haven’t kicked the nail biting habit. I think it’s probably time.

ETA: one other thing. I was shocked, when I quit, to discover how easily enraged I was. I wanted to rip people’s faces off for the littlest things. And what I realized, in part due to insights from people on that board, was that I used cigarettes as a coping mechanism - or more like a substitute for actual coping mechanisms - to deal with stress, anger, etc. I started at 19, so I hadn’t had a chance to develop healthy techniques for managing challenges. And, I suddenly realized I had been addicted ti a drug. I hadn’t understood that at all; I just thought I smoked because I liked it. These were definite eye-openers. As some others have pointed out, there’s more to it than just quitting. It’s life changing. Hard, but totally worth it.
  • brennaneagle4690
    Options
    Immediately actionable: when you crave nicotine, start something new. Stand up, go for a walk, exercise, clean part of your house, organize, run errands, etc. You will crave most when you are idle, so stay busy.

Longer term: replace the unhealthy habit with something healthier. Drink water when your cravings reoccur. Make a healthy snack. Start a new hobby. Find something to fill the void that provides both comfort and structure to your life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!