Filling foods

Options
I feel like I am hungry all the time! I am a SAHM and i feel like I can snack all day! do you have any tips on some filling foods. or what I should add/increase to my diet that may help me not be so hungry right after I eat ?

Replies

• Eggs!!!! I eat eggs for breakfast, they're delicious and fill you up!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Quaker weight control oatmeal works well for me as part of my breakfast or even a mid-morning snack

It only has 160 calories, 7g protein and 6g of fiber with 3g fat.
  • pmjensen
    Options
    If you have a HuHot mongolian grill near you, they're awesome if you get the right stuff. Stay away from the Garlic Oil but go for the Mean Bean Garlic sauce, yakisoba noodles and the chicken. Their nutrition facts are up online and in MFP. The only concern for me is the sodium.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have heard that flax seed can be very filling. I haven't tried it yet myself. I eat a high fiber high protein diet generally and rarely feel hungry.
  • pompeyqueen
    pompeyqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :wink: I have the same problem so I will keep an eye on this topic
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i cannot stress enough that you must drink lots and lots of water....sometimes your body will act like it is hungry when it is actually thirsty. i also recommend foods high in protein and fiber. i take a fiber supplement that helps as well.
  • poloplayer76
    Options
    EAT A BANANA! GREAT AND SO FILLING TOO
  • MrsBlackman
    Options
    A big bowl of soup (cook it really hot so it takes you a while to eat it). Fills me up from lunch until dinner. And drink green tea, I find that fills me up too!
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    Cut the processed carbs and go for whole grains -- they are much more filling, and don't burn as fast through the body.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites for omelets or sandwiches ( Low carb mini pita or light style bread from Thomas's are great) and put veggies in them. They keep you full longer. For a snack I will make a bag of low fat popcorn and snack on it all day. Both are low calorie.
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I need a snack to carry me over, I try 1/2 of an apple and a small handful of almonds. It used to drive me nuts to see people say things like that because there is no way that would fill me, but honestly, if you eat slow and give your body a chance to digets it really does fill you up. Along those lines, the Special K Nut Bars (have almonds) and for 90 calories they fill me up too. Something about the nuts......
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, complex carbs, fat, and fiber - all of these things help keep you full.

Greek yogurt (protein)

Whole wheat toast with peanut butter (complex carbs & good fat)

Veggie snacks (fiber) - I always pack these in my lunch, that way I have no excuse to hit the snack machine

air popped popcorn (fiber) - you can eat a lot of this
  • mnchkn0408
    mnchkn0408 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! Also a SAHM and the days are so long and it is so hard not to binge eat!!
  • ashleydeane
    ashleydeane Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i cannot stress enough that you must drink lots and lots of water....sometimes your body will act like it is hungry when it is actually thirsty. i also recommend foods high in protein and fiber. i take a fiber supplement that helps as well.
    awesome thanks never thought of that! I know I don't have enough water in my daily diet :(
  • wendiekins
    Options
    I had one of those days myself today so feel your hunger! I had weetabix for breakfast at 8 and by 9:30 I was starving!!! so had some scrambled egg before excercising at 10 and then didnt feel I needed lunch till 2pm .
    Keep hydrated too, I used to be terrible at drinking water but after just over a week its coming as 2nd nature.... I didnt have much water this morning either which might be why I was hungrier?
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As others have said, protein protein protein!

Try and include eggs, meat, fish and nuts every day – that should keep you feeling fuller for longer.
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. This sometimes works for me, but I don't know if it would work for everyone. I make myself a HUGE salad, with every veggie you can imagine spilling out of the bowl. I just splash it with apple cider vinegar instead of salad dressing, and eat up! It feels like your eating a lot of food, but with out all the calories!
  • ja_guy
    Options
    Just to add my two cents worth. I support the others that are saying WHOLE GRAINS. Trust me you won't go wrong. Since I introduced Whole Grains in my diet 1 week now. I eat less, and feel full during the day. As the others are saying too, I encourage you to cut out the processed carbs. Rather than eating plain white rice, try wild rice, bulgur, oat groats, whole-grain barley. These make really great recipes. Rice-like Dishes, Loafs, Nuggets, Cereals, etc. Finally the secret in all these whole grains is as what they are saying here in this thread too is FIBER. Good luck and be well.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    In general, if you combine protein and high-fiber carbs, you'll stay full longer. Carbs will give you energy, protein and fiber will stay with you longer and keep you full. Greek yogurt with fruit, an apple with peanut butter, an omelette with cheese and veggies mixed in, trail mix with nuts and dried fruit, oatmeal with peanut butter (or protein powder, or an egg on the side)... I could go on and on. Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.
  • Tifphany
    Options
    When you do snack, snack on almonds. Measure a serving (usu. around 17-22 or so) into snack sized Ziplocs. They are very filling from the fiber and protein and contain so many other health benefits.