LESS Alcohol ~ NOVEMBER 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @Michieb125 Wow! The pictures are amazing. Sorry about your hubby, and I agree with @Womona on the great job you're doing keeping it LA. In my book, there are times (especially when exploring new worlds) that I don't deprive myself from trying out the food and beverages. Keeping it LA is the trick.

@Womona - I think you can wear those cowboy boots with any outfit in Nashville! :smiley:
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think there are places in the world where wine is just part of the culture - not in the way we have made drinking part of American culture. Anyway, the photos of Greece are wonderful, one day I will find the time and resources to travel further. Dad was stationed in the Mediterranean when he was a radioman in the navy back in the 60s, and talked about how beautiful it was over there. I remember seeing pictures from Athens and Rhodes and places like that. He'd tell stories about the guys on shore leave drinking ouzo and cutting up. I decided one night, I dunno, probably late autumn of '96 or so, that I would try ouzo for myself and see what I thought of it. I wandered into Molly's At The Market on Decatur, and Laura was tending bar. She was always cool, my usual poison was Chartreuse and she would just sell me the bottle. Anyway, I asked her about ouzo and she was happy to oblige; I was mid-way through the second bottle when she looked at me, shook her head and said, "You're not human, are you?" LOL She knew I could put it away in volumes that would unseat most, but I guess I was on a streak that night.

Yeah.

Anyway, steadily improving, got some antibiotics. Dr thinks its a combination of flu and strep. Fun stuff, right? Finally back to normal temps, so it's more garden variety misery instead of that special brand of misery that comes with triple-digit temps.

One of the epic vinyl scores finally showed up from Portugal, I ordered a copy of Lycia's Ionia 30th anniversary reissue on red and black vinyl, limited to 250 copies. It's some early 90s dark wave stuff, one of my old favorites. Other goodies include some old school industrial, Moev, Noise Unit, Clock DVA, Front 242, stuff like that, the late 70s reissue of Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers, and a few others. I was quick to jump on the pre-order when I saw the announcement for the 30th anniversary edition of Plastikman's Sheet One, an iconic minimalist techno album that has been influential for me.

-m
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @mfowler883 Wine is definitely part of the culture in France and Italy. Beer is part of the culture in G.B. And, European countries drink a lot more alcohol per person than we do in the US! It's hard to believe, sometimes.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,554 Member
    Options
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal about the energy.

I was told years ago I to was hypothyroid. Did the blood tests regularly, took the meds, etc.

I really did not start to feel any different taking the meds
    The blood tests came back on track yet I was still so sluggish and would want to nap for no reason.

Then when I seriously starting cutting back alcohol that all changed. And I quit taking the meds.

Not suggesting it for anyone else. Only giving my own story.

Now my needs for naps are because at my age I took on a recent job more suited for a younger person. I will give it my 150%, do my job well and call it a day. Go home put my feet up and relax. My days off are when I turn into a whirling dervish!!!

Hope your November goes well.

• MissMay
    Options
    @womona.....you know, NOW we all need to see a photo of these cowgirl boots of yours!!

I agree, wear them....with everything. Sounds fun.
  • MissMay
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @Michieb125 your photos are amazing!!!

Thank you for sharing, especially the phyllo with spinach yummy. What is its name? I drooled a little.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    OMG the pictures....I have swooned and want to go so bad now. It is on my bucket list!
    Today will be a travel day so heading to the airport soon. We are flying back to the PNW for a weekend visit. Fly back home on Monday.
    My pictures could in no way compare to Greece. Unless you are a tight knit family playing card games with a giant spiral ham that will be my protein with the family tomorrow.

so I will catch up when I return hugs.....sock family I am sure will put in an appearance soon
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @MissMay Hooray 6 day streak is awesome!!
    <3
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The spinach and feta pastry is called Spanikopita - my favorite foods :). I buy it at home in the states at Trader Joe’s during the holidays but not quite the same!

Our flight home is later today and my new goal will be a 5 day AF streak so I can reset and detox from all the things from traveling for two weeks.

AF - 1
    A - 11
  • zensome
    zensome Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    7 AF
    5 A

Doing ok on number of days but number of drinks needs to decrease. Also broke my "no Sundays or Mondays" rule the last two Sundays. I always seem to do better when I start the week off AF.

Today is Sunday, no plans for A, already posted here.

Loved the pictures from Greece @Michieb125 I traveled there in the late 90s and had some of the best food ever, and the Retsina!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Day 17 AF. I haven't done this since January.

That is so amazing!! So happy for you! <3
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    5 AF
    8 A