Jacks Beef Jerkey

Options
I am trying to convience myself that the delicious jacks beef jerkey nuggets are a healthy food. I eat three bags a day and they are packed with protein and low in calories.... The bad thing is they are high in sodium.... Any thoughts... Anyone have a better food with less sodium but high in protein and low in calories, besides eggs and chicken breasts.

Replies

• jakesmommy02
    Options
    Mmmm...beek jerky. Is there a low sodium option? Or perhaps making your own beef jeaky would be a better choice. I'm with ya though... I could seriously throw down some yummy jerky! :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I am trying to convience myself that the delicious jacks beef jerkey nuggets are a healthy food. I eat three bags a day and they are packed with protein and low in calories.... The bad thing is they are high in sodium.... Any thoughts... Anyone have a better food with less sodium but high in protein and low in calories, besides eggs and chicken breasts.

Drink plenty of water throughout the day and don't worry about the sodium. Most people don't drink enough water. As far as snacks are concerned, there isn't really much better than beef jerky if you want something quick. The only thing else is protein bars, tuna packs, etc.
  • Rwiersema41
    Rwiersema41 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of low-sodium beef jerkey
  • Rwiersema41
    Options
    Is there a low-sodium jerkey?
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    From what I've seen sodium only causes temporary weight gain, although over consumption can have longterm negative effects.

As for making his own, salt is, unfortunately, a necessary component of cured meats like that. You're not going to find a low sodium recipe; it's basically salted meat.
  • roxlen75
    roxlen75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had to post only because I share your love of beef jerky. My fav is the sweet and hot, but I have no advice on a lower sodium option. WOW! three bags a day isn't that costly? I know it is all worth it LOL!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It is 10 times cheaper and healthier because you can control the sodium.

You can make it in your oven set at 200 and the door open a couple of inches or a dehydrator costs about $40 which is about 5 bags of store jerky.

I made 8 pounds of this recipe and gave it friends. they said it was better than anything from a store.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak (Top round work well too just be sure to cut it with the grain)
    2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey (I add a little more for sweetness)
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I triple this for heat.)
  • Rwiersema41
    Options
    I love teriyaki... I buy them on sale... Walgreens just had two bags for $7. When they are that cheap I buy as much as I can afford... They need to make a bbq for the jacks nuggets though.
  • kbrown1171
    Options
    Yum beef jerky! I'd love some now!! High in protein. Water water water. :smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Love jerky. I agree, drink lots of water. Might have to learn how to make your own in the oven then you could control the sodium content. I could get used to eating it with much less salt.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowsodiumbeefjerky.com/Low_Sodium_Beef_Jerky.html

I don't know if it's a legit website, but apparently it does exist..
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It is 10 times cheaper and healthier because you can control the sodium.

You can make it in your oven set at 200 and the door open a couple of inches or a dehydrator costs about $40 which is about 5 bags of store jerky.

I made 8 pounds of this recipe and gave it friends. they said it was better than anything from a store.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak (Top round work well too just be sure to cut it with the grain)
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Thanks for this!
  • Rwiersema41
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe... I will try that someday.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    From what I've seen sodium only causes temporary weight gain, although over consumption can have longterm negative effects.

As for making his own, salt is, unfortunately, a necessary component of cured meats like that. You're not going to find a low sodium recipe; it's basically salted meat.

It doesn't have to be cured with sodium...just dehydrated properly. and I use low sodium soy sauce in mine to keep sodium down.,
  • vaderandbill
    Options

2/3 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Thanks for this!

There are many recipes out there. I am a fanatic about jerky but I refuse to pay $5-$7 for a few ounces so I did some research and found the recipe I like. Walmart and other type stores have dehydrators that work well and are fairly cheap. You easily make your money back after a few times using it. Plus, you can make your own trail mixes with dried fruits and veggies.

Maybe I should start selling these things...I sound like an infomercial
  • roxlen75
    roxlen75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

2/3 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Thanks for the recipe!
  • Rwiersema41
    Options
    How long does it take to cook?
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    How long does it take to cook?

it will really depend on how thick you cut it and your method of dehydrating. my strips are usually 1/2-3/4 inch and in the dehydrator I use it takes a good 6 hours. I just eyeball how I want it to look and take a sample from time to time to make sure it isn't overly dry. It is well worth it.

and always try adding new ingredients like garlic, teriyaki, hot sauce, etc.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky has become a regular part of my consumption, although not necerarily every day.

As far as sodium content, check the labels as I thought teriyaki flavor was actually higher in sodium compared to some other flavors.

As for an alternative, I've been eating OSTrim (my local GNC sells it) because it is lower in sodium and calories per serving as compared to most other Jerky's. Probably because it's a beef/ostrich blend. Even with that, the teriyaki flavor has a lot more sodium.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options

2/3 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Thanks for the recipe; I don't normally worry about sodium, however, I was curious about the sodium content given this thread so I plugged the recipe into the tool here on myfitnesspal and got 1 oz serving (asuming that 2 pounds of flank steak will give you 8oz of Jerky) had 1442 mg Sodium... there are lots of variables here: I may be wrong about the ratio of raw meat to dry and the assumption that all of the ingredients make it into the final product... You might get better results with low sodium soy sauce... but I don't normally worry about sodium :-)