Building workout schedule

Options
I want to build my own workout schedule at home for losing weight. I will train for 4 days.

so to cut it short: how can I know the perfect reps and sets for each exercise to do? because I see schedules 3×15 and others 3×5 so I don't know how to decide this.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on your training objectives.

w9GfH.jpg
  • ayamourada92
    ayamourada92 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

w9GfH.jpg

can I ask u what is the difference between them for intermediate level without gaining large muscles? just to lose fats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

w9GfH.jpg

can I ask u what is the difference between them for intermediate level without gaining large muscles? just to lose fats.

The rep ranges in the illustration are for those objectives noted (though overly simplified)...it doesn't matter if you are beginner, intermediate, or an advanced lifter. You would do best to just start working with an established, off the shelf program than trying to make up your own. Also, losing fat happens when you are consistently in a calorie deficit...lifting weights doesn't magically default to losing fat. Also, if you're in a calorie deficit you aren't really going to be putting on much muscle mass...dieting to lose fat puts you in a catabolic state and building muscle is an anabolic process so I wouldn't really worry about that...not to mention, it's more complicated than just the rep range...programming and volume are huge factors for building meaningful muscle mass, it doesn't accidentally happen just because you're picking up and putting down heavy things.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

w9GfH.jpg

Higher reps at lower weights are less likely to build muscle mass. Building muscle mass is very challenging, so unless you're young, male, and new to lifting, you're probably not going to gain "large muscles" in any case, especially if you're in a calorie deficit to try to lose weight.

Finally, lifting weights is really not an optimal strategy for losing fat. First, make sure you know what your maintenance is and then cut calorie intake and/or increase calorie expenditure to make sure you're in a deficit. If you want to spend time on exercise to increase the calories you're using, cardio will generally be more efficient than lifting weights.

To be clear, I think lifting is a good thing to do, and if you already have the calorie deficit and a cardio program in place, have at it! But if you don't have those other things in place, focusing your time and energy on lifting little weights a lot of times doesn't seem like the best place for someone with your stated goals to start.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, diet and calorie deficit should be your focus. Burning additional calories from exercise will help, and cardio burns more calories per hour than lifting weights does.

As for more specific help, your question is hugely open-ended. We don't know how long you've been lifting, what your goals are there (other than fat loss, and again, this isn't the optimal route to fat loss), what equipment you have access to, etc.
  • ayamourada92
    Options
    To lose fat, diet and calorie deficit should be your focus. Burning additional calories from exercise will help, and cardio burns more calories per hour than lifting weights does.

As for more specific help, your question is hugely open-ended. We don't know how long you've been lifting, what your goals are there (other than fat loss, and again, this isn't the optimal route to fat loss), what equipment you have access to, etc.

I do exercises with dumbbells at home for a long time like years but I stop from time to time and redo this again. I do this 4 days a week. My goal is to lose fats and be fit without gaining huge muscles.
    You mean that I should focus on calorie deficit, cardio and weight lifting more than anything else and it will help me reach my goal?
  • ayamourada92
    Options

also for calories deficit, If i only do exercises at home and I don't work .. I do exercises 4
    days a week and go for a walk 5 days a week. So which activity level should I pick from the app? and should I add the burned cals during workout or cardio to the app so that I can eat extra burned cals plus the basic ones based on my data? for example if the app recommended 1500 cals and I burned 500 more. should I add them to the app and eat them?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    also for calories deficit, If i only do exercises at home and I don't work .. I do exercises 4
    days a week and go for a walk 5 days a week. So which activity level should I pick from the app? and should I add the burned cals during workout or cardio to the app so that I can eat extra burned cals plus the basic ones based on my data? for example if the app recommended 1500 cals and I burned 500 more. should I add them to the app and eat them?
    Your workouts are irrelevant for the app setup. It's asking you about an estimate of your daily non-workout activity. Other online calculators bake an estimate of your additional workouts into their TDEE results, MFP does not.

Some people eat a portion of the workout calories they add. Others don't. The issue is that often workout calories can be over-estimated for various reasons, e.g. I seriously doubt you're burning 500 at home lifting dumbbells.

From your previous post, are you now doing much more lifting volume than years ago, and continuing to progress in weight/reps/sets? You'll only build muscle with progressive overload, and good nutrition and not being in a large calorie deficit really help too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

I do exercises with dumbbells at home for a long time like years but I stop from time to time and redo this again. I do this 4 days a week. My goal is to lose fats and be fit without gaining huge muscles.
    You mean that I should focus on calorie deficit, cardio and weight lifting more than anything else and it will help me reach my goal?

Your profile says you're female, as am I. You literally need to have zero worry about getting huge muscles: Even a woman who's genetically inclined to add muscle mass relatively slowly, and ultra-slowly (if at all) alongside losing weight.

Further, even if your muscle mass does increase, it's not like you wake up one morning and poof, you're huge. It's gradual. If you reach a look you like, you move from a weight training routine that aims for increase, to one that aims for maintenance. You are in control. Women with large muscles have worked hard and intentionally for years to get there. It doesn't happen by accident.

It may be useful to be aware that as you lose weight, whatever muscles you do have will show a little more (less fat layer hiding them), so reaching your preferred look is a combination of muscularity and body fat level. With either muscle gain or fat loss, the process can be reversed if you don't like the outcome, noting that muscle mass loss would also be relatively slow.

Yes, moderate (not huge) calorie deficit for fat loss, fun cardio and strength training for fitness, good nutrition for health and fitness both.