Inactive Senior

Options
Hi, I’m soon to be 75 years old & have been inactive since COVID. I’m going to try to walk at least a mile every day.
I weigh 200 and want to get down to 150.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,757 Member
    Options
    If someone has been inactive (quite completely) for a long time, I'd suggest that anyone of any age start slowly, and build up gradually. Walking for an hour every day could potentially be overdoing. Maybe walk for a slightly challenging time/distance, then take a rest day with only milder activity, see how the walk settles in? If all good, repeat, and gradually increase duration/frequency over a short number of weeks, reassessing as you go?

I'm close to your age (turn 68 later this week) and quite active (rowing and biking, mostly), reasonably fit. Even so, if I start adding walking into the mix, I do exactly as I suggest above.

Just a thought.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am your age and set tiny goals. First I set an exercise goal of 15 min for three days a week, with stretching and tai chi more regularly. Often it was just a walk around the yard. Then I slowly increased activity. Now at goal weight (happens to be 150) my goals are still very doable. 30 min of something at least five days a week, at least two of those "somethings" include some weights (3 or 5 lb) or body weight stuff, tai chi at least five days a week (no time limit, just something), at least 3000 steps at least five days a week, log on MFP every day and limit wine to no more than three times a week. My goal weight is still five pounds "overweight" but I am on no meds, have no joint issues and blood work and bones are super. In the past I have done too much too fast and ended up sore or injured. I have been this weight for decades but had crept up for a bit. It still took me forever to get back down to goal, but that way maintaining is easy.
    I do excede those goals just about every week, but for me it helps to keep things simple. At 75 we have to remain active but remember we're not 30 anymore.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lowering your calories is the most effective way to lose weight. Track your food intake and then can slowly build up your walking. Just walking probably won’t be enough to lose the weight.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    I'll turn 74 in a few days. I've been walking a mile a day for a couple of weeks. I was doing so well, I tried a mile in the morning and another mile that afternoon. Had to take 2 days off to rest up. Lol!
    Back to a mile a day.
    Good luck with your walking and your weight loss!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If someone has been inactive (quite completely) for a long time, I'd suggest that anyone of any age start slowly, and build up gradually. Walking for an hour every day could potentially be overdoing. Maybe walk for a slightly challenging time/distance, then take a rest day with only milder activity, see how the walk settles in? If all good, repeat, and gradually increase duration/frequency over a short number of weeks, reassessing as you go?

I'm close to your age (turn 68 later this week) and quite active (rowing and biking, mostly), reasonably fit. Even so, if I start adding walking into the mix, I do exactly as I suggest above.

Just a thought.

Yes, in my 40s I had to start walking slowly as I had been inactive due to knee issues.

I swim in ponds, and since I am in Massachusetts, that means I don't swim from late August to late June. While I do other forms of exercise over the fall, winter, and early spring, this doesn't use the same muscles as swimming does. I start off slowly every year, which for me is around 15 minutes. I've usually worked up to an hour by the end of the season.

Seniors who want variety should check out senior centers. The ones in my area offer a variety of free classes, including Tai Chi, which is great for balance, fall prevention, and arthritis. I picked it up when I hurt my wrist and could no longer do Downward Dog and other yoga poses, and I love it.

In my last town, I volunteered at the senior center, and they had amazing resources and services.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Good luck slowly does it but be consistent.