A new weight loss journey and a cautionary tail

Options
Hi my name is Ian. I am a 39 year old male, happily married with 2 children. Back in 2018 I weighed 18st and decided to do something about that. I hyper focused on losing weight at any cost. I lost 6st in 6 months but at a cost. I didn't track my nutrition and had accidentally cut sodium. I had low blood pressure and one day passed out in my bathroom hitting my head off the sink. I suffered post concusion syndrome and was off work for 4 months recovering. I began to struggle with depression and anxiety before gradually regaining my weight sending me into a deeper spiral. Fortunately with the help of my wife and friends I did get the help I needed and now with my new out look on life I am ready to commit to a new, healthier weight loss programme and I am hoping to speak to new people who wish to share this journey also. Please feel free to add me and let's encourage each other as we take on some very difficult challenges.

Replies

• geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a journey! You’ve done it once you will certainly do it again. Sounds like you have a great support system at home (that’s like gold). Feel free to add me for mutual support if you’d like!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    We always caution against fast weight loss. There are so many negative consequences. I'm sorry that happened to you. To do this right take a long term attitude. Slow and steady loss, with a little movement thrown in.

Get your daily calorie goal from MFP and start weighing your food on a digital scale. Try to stay within that goal everyday. Log in your exercise and MFP will give you more calories for the day. Create good habits so that you will just keep going on autopilot-for the rest of your life.

As you move along you will need to change things. That's normal. You may do more exercise or multiple types and eat differently. Also read the stickie posts with all the best information. They were voted the best by members. "A Guide to Sexy Pants" is a classic and will get you launched. Good Luck.