So confused on macros

Options
I am so new at this. I haven't been able to totally get my 1200 calories in without going over on fiber.
I've entered breakfast dinner and snack but still have to figure lunch out. Right now my total is
Remaining 256 calories. 7 saturated fat 6 fat 10 protein and over fiber by 6. This just takes so much time trying to get it all right so frustrated.

Answers

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories. MFP's default macro ratios are just that...a default...there is nothing "magic" about them. There is no "magic" macro ratio for losing weight. Also, macros are carbs, protein, fat. These make up your calories...4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat. People customize these to there liking all of the time. For example, a bodybuilder is going to have a different macro profile than that of an endurance athlete. A vegan is going to likely have a different macro profile compared to someone doing a keto diet...etc, etc, etc

Also, fiber is a subset of carbohydrates just as saturated fat is a subset of dietary fat...they aren't stand alone macros. Going over or under your macros doesn't really matter...calories (energy) are what matter for weight management. You don't need to be doing a bunch of hand wringing over this.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cwolfman is correct about fiber being a subset of the carbohydrate macro. I agree with him that for weight loss macros don’t matter as long as you’re hitting your calorie targets. For satiety and health macros and subset components like fiber and sugar (carb subsets) can make a difference and might be worth tweaking and paying attention to (but probably not worth stressing over). For me (and general health recommendations) going over in fiber is a positive. Going over in sugar is something I may want to pay attention to. Unless I am getting most of that sugar from fruit (which will also have fiber) I know I’m more prone to cravings. Fiber helps my satiety and levels out my energy, so if I’m over in carbs but also over in fiber I’m less concerned about making changes.
    MFP provides default settings for macros that may work well for you. If you’re struggling with cravings or feeling like you can’t get enough calories without feeling uncomfortably full, you may want to consider tweaking those macros. I learned the connection between cravings and sugar by keeping an eye on my macros and changed my settings to give myself the visual reminder to limit the sugar and prioritize protein. That said, I don’t stress about hitting my numbers every day or precisely. I just try to be in the range on average.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    cherdreemz wrote: »
    I am so new at this. I haven't been able to totally get my 1200 calories in without going over on fiber.
    I've entered breakfast dinner and snack but still have to figure lunch out. Right now my total is
    Remaining 256 calories. 7 saturated fat 6 fat 10 protein and over fiber by 6. This just takes so much time trying to get it all right so frustrated.

First, Fiber is a goal to meet. Going over is beneficial.

Second, for weight loss, calories are what you need to pay attention to.

Third, macros (Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat) have to do with feeling full (satiety) and continuing to feel full. Generally, higher protein will make you feel full quicker. Fat will for most people help with continuing to feel full. Carbohydrates give energy and will make you feel full as well, but that effect from them wears off very quickly for many people.

Right now, focus on calories and pay attention to how quickly you get hungry after eating. If there are meals that keep you satisfied longer, look at their macros and see why.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.
    Give yourself some learning time.
    Just for today, good is good enough.
  • cherdreemz
    cherdreemz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so very much!! I do have high cholesterol and need to lose about 20 lbs so was concerned about macros for the cholesterol issue.
    This is only my first week and I'm sure I'll get used to what I should be eating. Everyone here is so helpful.
    I'm not sure if I can respond individually to you as I don't know how so I hope you all can see this.

And saying Just for today, good is good enough (I love it). Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thank you everyone so very much!! I do have high cholesterol and need to lose about 20 lbs so was concerned about macros for the cholesterol issue.
    This is only my first week and I'm sure I'll get used to what I should be eating. Everyone here is so helpful.
    I'm not sure if I can respond individually to you as I don't know how so I hope you all can see this.

I had very high cholesterol once upon at time as well as triglycerides so high (over 500) that my LDL couldn't be read. In my experience, the following was the most helpful in lowering in order:

1. Losing weight
    2. Being active on a daily basis
    3. Started consuming a diet of mostly whole foods/minimally processed foods and cooking at home most of the time.

I didn't specifically try to cut saturated fat or anything like that...mostly I stopped eating fast food for lunch everyday and started brown bagging and started cooking most of the time and focused on getting my fruits and veg, getting more fiber, eating healthy fats from things like nuts and avocados and quality cooking oils, and started eating leaner proteins and more fish. By it's nature, this also reduced a lot of other things without actively "quitting" anything.

It's somewhat difficult to say positively as I did all of these things at the same time, but I really think 1 and 2 had about 90% of the impact. n=1 I've let my nutrition slip in the past with little to no impact on my numbers...I've let my weight slip and activity slip in the past and either of those things combined or individually will jack with my numbers.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I had very high cholesterol once upon at time as well as triglycerides so high (over 500) that my LDL couldn't be read. In my experience, the following was the most helpful in lowering in order:

1. Losing weight
    3. Started consuming a diet of mostly whole foods/minimally processed foods and cooking at home most of the time.

I didn't specifically try to cut saturated fat or anything like that...mostly I stopped eating fast food for lunch everyday and started brown bagging and started cooking most of the time and focused on getting my fruits and veg, getting more fiber, eating healthy fats from things like nuts and avocados and quality cooking oils, and started eating leaner proteins and more fish. By it's nature, this also reduced a lot of other things without actively "quitting" anything.

It's somewhat difficult to say positively as I did all of these things at the same time, but I really think 1 and 2 had about 90% of the impact. n=1 I've let my nutrition slip in the past with little to no impact on my numbers...I've let my weight slip and activity slip in the past and either of those things combined or individually will jack with my numbers.

Just my 2 cents. I think #3 is just as important, but slower showing up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more obsessive than most people here about macros, but don't disagree with most of the above. There's a certain minimum of both protein and fats we need to eat for best health, but the MFP defaults aren't a bad starting point, as long as a person doesn't try to lose weight aggressively fast. (There's no way to get adequate nutrition on too-few calories, no matter how the macro percents fall.)

I absolutely agree that you don't need to hit them exactly every day, close on average over a small number of days should be fine.

Over any of protein, fats, or fiber is definitely OK, unless you happen to have a medical condition that requires you to limit them (you'd know). You might benefit from including some unsaturated fats in your fat intake, not just saturated fats. That's not some deep technical idea, it just means its good to have some nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil and that sort of thing in the mix. Some cold-water fatty fish is good, too (like salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, sardines . . . .

One thing about fiber: If you decide to increase quite a lot from where you are now, do it gradually. It can take time for our digestive system to adapt to increased fiber, and going from a small amount to the goal and above in an instant can result in some digestive distress. If you want to increase, do it over a couple of weeks or so, and make sure to get enough fats and fluids in your diet as you do: Things will be fine.

Best wishes!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in the menutia. Hit your calorie target, get enough protein and a decent amount of good fat and fillthe rest of the calories out with whatever macros you want. Choose foods low in cholesterol.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

1. Losing weight

Good nutrition is important, but being at a healthy weight and regular exercise have a far more material impact blood serum cholesterol and other blood work. Cholesterol in particular is primarily made by the liver and more and more research shows there really isn't much of a direct link to dietary cholesterol or saturated fats.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

1. Losing weight

Good nutrition is important, but being at a healthy weight and regular exercise have a far more material impact blood serum cholesterol and other blood work. Cholesterol in particular is primarily made by the liver and more and more research shows there really isn't much of a direct link to dietary cholesterol or saturated fats.
    i’ve also heard some research that diet has very little effect on cholesterol values. However, I have a hard time thinking that that’s 100% true. I had a blood test two months ago and showed 220 on my cholesterol with Triglycerides and LDL being high. Lots of eggs and cheese and chicken thighs. I cut those out and will go for retest in a couple of months and see if there were positive changes. If not then I’ll conclude that diet isn’t a factor.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

It's a little more complicated. Refined carbohydrates and sugar lowers LDL but it's probably not something a person should be doing to lower cholesterol and have some serious negative effects on other blood markers that are far more important for our health imo. I agree with wolfman for the most part when he says eat mostly whole food, control your weight and exercise and that should take the average person into old age a little further than most.