Cheat days???

Options
So how much "cheating" is ok on cheat days? Do you keep it light for most of the day, then splurge on one meal or do you eat without restriction for the whole day? Also, do you exercise on that day, or skip?

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    On my cheat days, I eat all of my calories... on a normal day I try to leave some on the "table"

I exersize 6 days.... when I want to cheat, I exercise more... like on Football Sundays... I job to burn off a few calories for corn nuts and sardines....
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    my cheat day is on a sunday we have a chinese for tea :love:
    Once wow hurt :wink:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days/meals...I've worked to hard to blow it all on one day/meal. I work everything into my cals for the day. If well planned it can be done. If I know hubby and I have a date night (very rarely happens) I make sure to work out a bit harder than normal and watch what I eat more during the day.

Everything in moderation! :)
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    On my cheat days (usually weekends, but I limit it to one day of the weekend), I don't workout and I occasionally log. I don't pay attention to calories at all for that day. I logged my cheat day last week and I was over by 650 or something. I also tend to do a lot of drinking on those days as well. If I didn't have a cheat day, after a week or so I'd be having 3-4 cheat days lol. I've been losing steadily and without any gains or plateaus though so I credit that to my cheat days. Helps keep my metabolism guessing :)
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take 1 cheat day a week, I make it the same day every week. I eat what ever I want but in moderation. and I take the day off from exercising that day to, then I go right back at it for the next 6 days.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week maybe and I still try to be somewhat healthy. I exercise 5 days a week. If I know I'm having something for dinner that may put me over I just do more cardio to creat a larger calorie deficit :smile:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I remember my grandmother and my aunts fasting all day, before a feast, just so they could really enjoy it. It wasn't a total fast, because they had to taste the food they were preparing, but they made a point of avoiding eating a full meal. Looking back it makes sense. Folk wisdom. French cooking.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week, although the past couple of weeks I have had a few more :tongue: . I don't gain from them if I exercise that day. Plus my workouts are awesome on cheat days, as I have the drive and lots of fuel to do more! I eat what I want on those days!
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    I always try to exercise more on my cheat days. I wish I could discipline myself to having a, "cheat meal" - OR - "cheat snack" it would be better than a ALL day cheat. But not so easy to do some of the times!!! The thing is, try not to do this so often and get yourself back on track the next day.:flowerforyou:
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    do what works for you, everybodies bodies react differently so if you cheat and dont excercise one a cheat day maybe eat less or excercise? i wouldnt take everyones advice word for word because what works for them may not be the case for yourself :)
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Hmmm...a few different methods.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days/meals...I've worked to hard to blow it all on one day/meal. I work everything into my cals for the day. If well planned it can be done. If I know hubby and I have a date night (very rarely happens) I make sure to work out a bit harder than normal and watch what I eat more during the day.

This is how I feel, too.

By the way, great weight loss! Congratulations.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I'll never understand 'cheat days'. Who on earth do you think you are cheating?!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i try and keep its light for most of the day and then i will SPLURGE on one meal. i try to keep it at an earlier time that way i can burn it off a little during the day. but i TRY and keep within my calories. some meals thats impossible, buti try not to get something tooo fatty or too unhealthy unless i eat like nothing for the day besides that gluttonous meal heh
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I didnt give myself cheat days as often as it seems my co-Pal-ers do. My cheat days came after a few weeks, then only if I had a pretty good loss. Then it was still limited to a cheat meal or even a dessert. Im in maintenance now and I still only cheat a meal or 2 a week. For some of us, If we give ourselves an inch we take a mile! :)
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat day a week. I usually still do my workout but I eat whatever I want. I find it easier to keep on track the other 6 days when I know I can indulge that craving on my one "cheat" day.
    It's what works for me and I always find that I am more disciplined through the week. And the scale has continued to move :)
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I don't do "cheat days" either...but...If I feel like I may go over a little on calories...I work out extra to burn those extra calories....I don't agree with people who go overboard on "cheat days"...I've worked too hard and I'm not going to ruin it on those kinds of days....
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It is 100% impossible to "blow it" with one bad day.
    I will argue this point to my death bed.

Use simple math.
    How many calories of a surplus is equal to a pound of fat?
    =3,500 cals

Now how many calories will you burn in a day?
    Average person, I'd say about 2,500 calories (BMR+Activities)

How is energy stored.
    Glucose to glycogen in the liver and muscles, and the left-overs are bodyfat.
    As you are dieting during the week you are depleting your glycogen storage, so when you present your body with a surplus it will begin restoring glycogen.
    "The human body will convert excess carbs to glycogen first,"- Dr. Michael Aziz
    Most people can store about 2,000-5,000 calories of energy in glycogen.

So now you are having your cheat day or for me, my "Spike Day" because I'm sure as heck not cheating!

You eat lets say.... 4,000 calories, and you really enjoyed it!

Burned 2,500
    Ate 4,000

SURPLUS of 1,500 calories
    Let's say your glycogen was FULL, then
    You just gained (0.4lbs!)
    Wow, you really blew it.

Even better is your glycogen was probably depleted meaning most of that surplus just restored glycogen making you next couple of workouts 10 times better!

Now the benefits of a Spike Day
    1. You restore leptin (helps cravings)
    2. Increase metabolism
    3. makes your diet doable by giving you a weekly break
    4. Keeps you honest during the week having a day to look forward to
    5. You can eat pizza and donuts every week!
    6. Re-storing glycogen makes your workouts more effective
    7. Day after spiking you have increased strength
    8. Avoid starvation mode
    9. Great for parties and football games
    10. Guilt free eating,
    11. It's extremely fun planning and having a Spike Day
    12. You can eat pizza and donuts every week!

There is no doubt in my mind that without spiking I would not be where I am today, over 100lbs lighter and under 10% bodyfat.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It is 100% impossible to "blow it" with one bad day.
    I will argue this point to my death bed.

Use simple math.
    How many calories of a surplus is equal to a pound of fat?
    =3,500 cals

Now how many calories will you burn in a day?
    Average person, I'd say about 2,500 calories (BMR+Activities)

How is energy stored.
    Glucose to glycogen in the liver and muscles, and the left-overs are bodyfat.
    As you are dieting during the week you are depleting your glycogen storage, so when you present your body with a surplus it will begin restoring glycogen.
    "The human body will convert excess carbs to glycogen first,"- Dr. Michael Aziz
    Most people can store about 2,000-5,000 calories of energy in glycogen.

So now you are having your cheat day or for me, my "Spike Day" because I'm sure as heck not cheating!

You eat lets say.... 4,000 calories, and you really enjoyed it!

Burned 2,500
    Ate 4,000

SURPLUS of 1,500 calories
    Let's say your glycogen was FULL, then
    You just gained (0.4lbs!)
    Wow, you really blew it.

Even better is your glycogen was probably depleted meaning most of that surplus just restored glycogen making you next couple of workouts 10 times better!

Now the benefits of a Spike Day
    1. You restore leptin (helps cravings)
    2. Increase metabolism
    3. makes your diet doable by giving you a weekly break
    4. Keeps you honest during the week having a day to look forward to
    5. You can eat pizza and donuts every week!
    6. Re-storing glycogen makes your workouts more effective
    7. Day after spiking you have increased strength
    8. Avoid starvation mode
    9. Great for parties and football games
    10. Guilt free eating,
    11. It's extremely fun planning and having a Spike Day
    12. You can eat pizza and donuts every week!

There is no doubt in my mind that without spiking I would not be where I am today, over 100lbs lighter and under 10% bodyfat.

Yeah my Spike days are insane. I've done 6,000 calorie spike days. There's a reason I don't log on sundays....I don't want to hear people telling me i'm messing up my diet............It's part of my diet/ lifestyle and it is awesome!!!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I'll have a cheat meal maybe once or twice a month and maybe a cheat day once a month. It depends on what's going on.