Eating in the grocery store

Options

Replies

• jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    only time i have done it is when i was pregnant and felt sick to my stomach and i opened the crackers and had a few to settle my stomach but i pay for it. Only other time is when i pick up a 16 oz but thats cause i dont want to buy one outside and bring it in and them think i stole it so i get it there and pay at the end lol but usually we get something to eat in our food court and a drink and then go in...we are military so we eat at the nex then go to the comminsary to shop lol
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have done it with drinks. You know, you're out and it's a hot day, you're stopping by the store anyway. Might as well take care of it then and there. And of course you ring up the half-empty bottle on your way out with the rest of your groceries.

I'm not too bothered by it, unless you're eating something that's price is based on weight. That's not cool.:grumble:
  • supergirlsu
    Options
    I used to work at a grocery store and I hated seeing people do this. Especially if it was a banana b/c ya know we have to weigh that right?! lol

I currently work at one and does my head in to be honest. Especially when it's a item that needs to be weighed (and you then pay by weight, not by individual item) - do people realise that it's actually stealing?
    A friend if mine was working on the checkout and saw a woman feeding her kid a whole loads of grapes, so she weighed the bag to put the price in the till and then took out a handful before giving it back to customer. When customer asked she simply said that was for the load she had let her kid eat before paying.
    You do also get people who eat stuff and casually leave the wrapper on the shelf.

I never ate food round the supermarket as a kid ad deffo wouldn't now. If I'm that desperate for a drink I will pay for it first, and then drink it.

One if my pet peeves at work lol.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but I've seen it done - with drinks too.
    This.
  • laurad1406
    Options
    Wow, I'm kind of surprised at what a big deal this is....I agree with the points of if it's a weighted item it's stealing, and if you leave a mess of juice crumbs and wrappers in the aisles it's disgusting....but I have, on more than one occasion, gotten a container of almonds or something and snacked on a handful. And I almost ALWAYS get a bottle of water while I shop. I think I would feel more rude bringing my own bottle of water in with me. I see other people do it all the time, so I don't think it's just me.....I'm not sure though.
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    that's a lot of calories! but at least they paid for it. yes, I've seen it done. I used to work in a grocery a long time ago. we would find lots of empty boxes and bags that people ate the stuff then hid the packaging behind other items on other shelves. the store can have you arrested for shoplifting if they catch you. I don't think they'll do anything if you pay for the box. people do this with fresh fruit and candy that's loose all the time and don't pay.
  • newlyknit
    newlyknit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My mom used to give me a grape when I was little, now I'm slightly grossed out by that... they weren't even washed!

Once, while shopping with my husband and son (and pregnant with twins) I had to run (waddle) and grab a ginger ale to sip. I figured they could be a little peeved with me for drinking w/o paying, since I saved them a mess to clean up.

Side note: I've definitely seen six packs with one can missing and I'm always thinking 'who does that? Who walks around drinking a can of beer, or did they just slip one can of beer into their pocket?'
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've never done it myself, but I have allowed my kids to have a *little* something if they were really hungry, and then I made sure they knew we paid for it at the end.
  • journiemateio
    Options
    I worked at a supermarket for a while, and we always had people coming up to the checkout with empty deli bags because their children ate all of the luncheon! As staff members, we were... Well, not allowed, but we weren't growled about it. We could take things off the shelf and have them for lunch, as long as we took the empty packets/bottles/cans/boxes or the exact same package to the checkout and paid for it when we went off lunch. I did it once after my shift with a bottle of water and a little deli packet of shredded chicken, but only because I hadn't had anything for lunch (it was during Christmas, lunches were rushed and no food could be bought - you'd run out of time!). I had been working for seven hours and of course I paid for it as I left the store. But we frequently got customers bringing things to the checkout saying that they'd found it open behind some other stuff or dropped on the floor.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Finishing a box. NO!
    That's like 2000 calories or more, each. Its not like grocery shopping is that strenuous.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I've done it for my kids or got myself a soda before. I don't see the issue if it's a package that can be rung up and paid for. I did see a man once filling a container at the olive bar and then proceed to shop the store while eating the olives. That pissed me off.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've seen it and also find it weird. I have done it once or twice though when having low blood sugar issues.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Who DOES this?
    Even eating grapes...they haven't been properly washed. eww.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I did it with a drink once when I was preggo because I was getting sick (dry heaving) & needed something to drink- I figured people would understand...haha...it's better than throwing up everywhere, right?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I've done it....ONCE. I was 8 months pregnant with my first child and DESPERATELY wanted milk for some reason.
    I was with my mom at the time. She proceeded to take a pint of milk off the shelf, open it, and hand it to me. It tasted like the best milk ever. lol When I finished it off, she took the empty container, put it in her cart, and paid for it during checkout.

This was 13 years ago. I've haven't done it since then and don't ever plan to. haha

OMG!!! I did this exact same thing when I was pregnant with my youngest only it was Dr. Pepper. That was the best tasting Dr. Pepper in the WORLD. Being pregnant is like being possessed at times.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to do it with drinks, but not anymore. My mom did it when I was younger and I would always get embarrassed by it, haha.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I see this quite often and it mildly annoys me (ie not enough to lose any sleep over).

The clue is in the word 'Supermarket'. It's not a cafe or a restaurant, and people who help themselves to unpaid for food are part of the cba to wait / lack of discipline echelon of society. If you do it for your kids that's worse, you're setting a bad example for them to copy later - stimulate their interest, don't shut them up with a quick treat, you may as well use a dummy, (pacifier), if that's your strategy.

If you're a diabetic, pregnant and desperate, or have a medical condition - as some of the examples above have been, this is the only justifiable reason for an emergency feed. Apart from anything else it's rude - do you honestly think anyone wants to see you wandering around a store feeding your greedy face with Cheetos ?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I was brought up never to eat or drink when walking around full stop, and consuming food before it's paid for heaps criminality on top of bad manners and indigestion. It's as ingrained in me as not dropping rubbish in the street. I even feel uncomfortable when they serve lunch at a conference and there are no chairs and tables, you have to walk around and "network" :sick:

Unconscious eating outside of mealtimes is part of the reason many of us are overweight, and it's certainly not a good example to set kids.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I see this quite often and it mildly annoys me (ie not enough to lose any sleep over).

The clue is in the word 'Supermarket'. It's not a cafe or a restaurant, and people who help themselves to unpaid for food are part of the cba to wait / lack of discipline echelon of society. If you do it for your kids that's worse, you're setting a bad example for them to copy later - stimulate their interest, don't shut them up with a quick treat, you may as well use a dummy, (pacifier), if that's your strategy.

If you're a diabetic, pregnant and desperate, or have a medical condition - as some of the examples above have been, this is the only justifiable reason for an emergency feed. Apart from anything else it's rude - do you honestly think anyone wants to see you wandering around a store feeding your greedy face with Cheetos ?

So what about an emergency feed if its cheesecake and you come over all horny?
  • FauxNinja
    Options
    Relax. Who cares? Wasn't eating out of your basket. If it's a problem, it's with the supermarket.