Weight Loss and Mindfulness

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    I wonder whether the dieting paradigm we embrace turns us into religious fundamentalists. There is no one more righteous than converts.

Well, yes and no. It seems vegan and keto enthusiasts get the label of being very vocal converts. I quit drinking, and I quit eating meat, and I quit smoking... but I don't vocalize any of this to anyone (unless pointedly asked) because I figure who cares?

It is interesting how people want others to do what they do. And it's not just dieting... this "my way or the highway" mindset goes across many methods and hobbies. Human nature? Guess it just depends on the person, and perhaps how comfortable (or not) they are with the choices they've made.
  • shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can think of at least two reasons why some people want to share their epiphanies. Firstly,one may have a desire to share good fortune ( or good ideas) with fellow human beings and promote well-being. I would like to think this is a positive aspect of our humanity. As long as it does not become judgemental and forced, it might serve as a way of expanding knowledge and experience as, unlike my first wife, most people can't know and be an expert on everything.

The second reason might be more in line with your reflection. There is, perhaps, an innate insecurity in many of us and consequently, there is strength in numbers and we look for validation and reassurance when we consider what we ought to believe. The tragic side to this is how beliefs morph into judgement and rigidity and how human beings manage diversity.

Thank you for sharing your private achievements with regards to your food choices. What do you think has helped you the most in the choices you have or are making?
  • fitnaeem
    fitnaeem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently practicing mindful eating, and the satisfaction I get from it is amazing. The difficult part is at times I feel hungry and initially my response was not to eat but lately I have started eating healthy stuff. I don’t go hungry to bad and it is definitely helping. In my humble opinion, we are eating more than what we need the three course meal, you must eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you must finish your plate, and many more have contributed to the disaster.
  • shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of mindful eating. Perhaps this orientation allows us to not just enjoy the qualities of the food itself, but the satisfying outcomes of healthy ingredients being utilized effectively by our amazing digestive equipment. I try and remind myself that each morsel of food I eat will either move me towards or away from good health. We don’t have to be zealots. Let’s go with just responsible, reasonable and honest.