Vegan protein

Options
Hi there,
I’m back on the app but this time 12 months vegan .
I’m really struggling to hit my protein goal . My go to’s are tofu , chick peas & protein powder. Is there anything else that isn’t a form of processed food that will help hit the protein goal and is anyone else struggling with this?

Thankyou 🙏

Best Answers

• reginakarlcatz
    reginakarlcatz Posts: 4 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there,
    I’m back on the app but this time 12 months vegan .
    I’m really struggling to hit my protein goal . My go to’s are tofu , chick peas & protein powder. Is there anything else that isn’t a form of processed food that will help hit the protein goal and is anyone else struggling with this?

Thankyou 🙏

Green peas, quinoa, vegan refried beans, homemade falafel, homemade hummus (from chickpeas or other beans), walnuts (high fat), oatmeal, soy milk, homemade peanut butter,...

Try looking at the recipe book " no meat athlete" as it has a lot of great ideas that aren't processed foods.
  • youngdavid_82
    youngdavid_82 Posts: 3 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What is your protein goal daily?, I have been vegan for about 6 years-ish now. Though I have never really worried about the protein so much, but now that I am gong to the gym and trying to shed some pounds. I am paying attention to it now. I am getting between 90 and 100grams a day. I should be getting I think around 120, but I am happy around the numbers I have currently.

Answers

• marilyn140486
    marilyn140486 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much I’ll check out that book .
    I’m set to 130g I’m roughly hitting 70-90g
  • youngdavid_82
    youngdavid_82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much I’ll check out that book .
    I’m set to 130g I’m roughly hitting 70-90g

It can be a little struggle, but I don't fully concern myself with it so much, I'm trying to get close to my target but not upset overall, I am going to the gym 5-6 days a week, but it still seems to be working. I know that I get more protein now then when I wasn't vegan. Its easier obviously to get it as a meat eater but I find the vegan sources a little healthier, but they don't have to be, I've stuffed down a beyond burger or beyond sausage for some protein, lol. Though I don't eat that stuff often so its okay. But lentils are a really good source for protein. We have even made lentils like ground and have shepherds by and its one of my favorites!

I attached plant based protein source image below. I'm sure you have seen these.

kgwe61mjbsch.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,286 Member
    Options
    Seitan in addition to other things listed. Shelled soybeans (you can get them frozen or canned). Dry-roasted soybeans or crispy broad beans (put them on salads or veggies, or eat as a snack). Tempeh. Natto.

Also, try to get little bits of protein from almost everything you eat (without eating things you don't enjoy - life is too short for that). I know you mentioned less processed foods, but if you are willing to eat some processed foods, protein pancake mixes are pretty good. If you eat bread, choose one with more protein. (I like Ezekiel pita and tortillas). If you eat pasta, try red lentil pasta. If you eat grain, seek out higher protein choices there, too.

There are veggies with more protein than others, and even some fruits with a little protein.

This thread can help you find some of those foods:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things on the spreadsheet it links, but you'll find plant protein sources further down the list.

Many of the plant sources are incomplete (unbalanced in essential amino acids) but eating a wide range of them helps with that. You can find information about protein complements on the web, but be aware you don't need to combine things in just one meal: It's a little more flexible than that. It's also important to understand that some protein sources are less bioavailable, i.e., those of us who eat lots of plant protein may need a higher daily total number of grams than omnivores need.

In addition, include seasoning-type things that bring a little protein into the mix, like nutritional yeast or miso.

Truth in advertising: I'm not vegan. I'm vegetarian, and have been for 49+ years. I eat a lot of plant foods/meals.

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    All of the above - I am also vegan and work out. My protein intake is typically about 80g a day (15% of my macros, since I eat quite a lot of calories). A lot of people would consider that low, but I don't have issues building muscle in the gym.

Most of my protein comes from tofu, seitan, legumes, grains, and all other foods. I love seitan, which packs a serious protein punch (I'm not gluten sensitive). I also eat protein oats every morning (although I'm currently finishing off my supply of steel-cut), they're a variety of oat that naturally has more protein than regular oats). Protein oats taste the same as regular oats to me, their nutrition is just different.

We have a new vegan group here...: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145477-herbivores-of-mfp