You need not deprive yourself over the holidays

Options
Instead of spending time remaking every Thanksgiving dish to be “diet friendly “ just eat less. A spoonful of potatoes is more satisfying than mashed cauliflower and you don’t feel deprived. A spoonful of dressing with a drizzle of gravy. Pie? A couple bites of pie and skip the crust or share a slice of pie with someone. There’s no need to remake classics in the name of “dieting “. Have whatever everyone else is having. EAT LESS and EAT SLOWLY. Avoid the pre-dinner snacks and the alcohol. I bet you’ll feel satisfied, less deprived and you’ll stay within your daily calorie target. Moderation in all things! Plus unlike everyone else, you won’t feel stuffed and bloated!!😁

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky I love salad so much!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I agree that "diet" versions of old favorites can be pretty depressing. My MIL, forever counting points on Weight Watchers, is the queen of low fat/no salt/diet mayo/ersatz Ranch/baked chips/no fat sour cream dishes that don't interest me in the least. (It's questionable whether these so-called diet friendly foods interest anyone...)

Thanksgiving is laden with expectations, memories, food, food and more food. We're not real big on holidays anymore at our house, and I don't eat turkey, so our holiday meal won't look traditional at all. I think these holidays stir up more trouble than they're worth, sometimes...but I sound like an old grouch if I say that.

Eat what you love, and if it's a bit too much, adjust back to sensible the day after.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It's only one day....I don't see any need to only have a few bites of crustless pie.

The problem comes when you make it more than just one day. The "holiday season"...really, Halloween through New Year's Day....tends to be full of family functions, parties, treats, special meals, etc.

So, I don't worry about the day itself (Thanksgiving, Christmas), but I do try to limit all the other opportunities to over-indulge this season.

Speaking of making substitutions though...I let my husband know that the stuffing I am making for Thanksgiving is not going to meet his dietary needs. He can't eat gluten or onions. The stuffing recipe is my Grandmother's and my family will disown me if I alter it in any way. I'm not going to use gluten-free bread, and I'm not leaving out the onions. He'll be fine...he can eat everything else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    It's only one day....I don't see any need to only have a few bites of crustless pie.

The problem comes when you make it more than just one day. The "holiday season"...really, Halloween through New Year's Day....tends to be full of family functions, parties, treats, special meals, etc.

So, I don't worry about the day itself (Thanksgiving, Christmas), but I do try to limit all the other opportunities to over-indulge this season.

Speaking of making substitutions though...I let my husband know that the stuffing I am making for Thanksgiving is not going to meet his dietary needs. He can't eat gluten or onions. The stuffing recipe is my Grandmother's and my family will disown me if I alter it in any way. I'm not going to use gluten-free bread, and I'm not leaving out the onions. He'll be fine...he can eat everything else.

I used to make two stuffings, my mother's recipe and my partner's mothers recipe. This year I did something different and helped make hot meals for 850-875 people in my community. We picked up traditional Thanksgiving dinners yesterday and had that tonight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    cheryl5542 wrote: »
    Instead of spending time remaking every Thanksgiving dish to be “diet friendly “ just eat less. A spoonful of potatoes is more satisfying than mashed cauliflower and you don’t feel deprived. A spoonful of dressing with a drizzle of gravy. Pie? A couple bites of pie and skip the crust or share a slice of pie with someone. There’s no need to remake classics in the name of “dieting “. Have whatever everyone else is having. EAT LESS and EAT SLOWLY. Avoid the pre-dinner snacks and the alcohol. I bet you’ll feel satisfied, less deprived and you’ll stay within your daily calorie target. Moderation in all things! Plus unlike everyone else, you won’t feel stuffed and bloated!!😁

This is basically what I do, except it's going to be slightly more than a few bites of pie once I finish digesting my moderate dinner.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    My lifestyle is not a diet and I love every single thing I eat as a WFPB Vegan.Ido not enjoy traditional food and don't enjoy over indulging. In fact I thoroughly enjoy life and food way more knowing I can eat whatever I make and feel good. To me it's not " diet food". To me it's the most nurturing thing I can do for myself. It's so liberating not to have " temptations" I hate being over fed and the bloating lazy feeling when I used to over do holidays.