LESS Alcohol ~ NOVEMBER 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Checking in —

Logging my handful of AF days this week so far and will continue to reach my Nov. goal of 14 days.
    AF - 4
    A - 13
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    9 AF
    10 A
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Well, I haven't been following my plan but I have been drinking a lot less. For example, we drove to Norfolk on Friday to pick up DH's race packet (he's running in a half marathon this weekend). I had a 0.0% Guinness at dinner at an Irish restaurant there, then two 5 oz glasses of wine at a fancy wine bar where there was a great jazz pianist. Normally, we would pick up a bottle of wine on the way home and finish it off while watching movies, but we didn't do it. We both were very glad the next day and happy with the way we felt. Saturday included a beer with lunch and that was it for the day.

Rolling Total: 7 AF Days out of 18

@Womona I do love those boots! Fancy!

@MissMay I agree with @lmlmrn about the iced-tea-in-a-wine-glass idea. It's all about the glass! :). And speaking of deserts, DH and I had Duck Donuts for breakfast yesterday. I ate a whole one and then sampled a couple others. They were delicious, but I don't want another one for a long time!

@Michieb125 @lmlmrn I also have arthritis and have never done the research about the food connection. I'm going to check out the arthritis.org and may also order that book.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    AF - 9
    A - 10
  • 2timesacharmmfp
    2timesacharmmfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's kind of crazy to me how easy it is to fall back into bad habits. After feeling pretty great mentally and physically when focusing on making the right choices, the last 3 days were right back to old times - only stuck to my goal of no more than 3 one day this weekend (and technically it was 3 and a half so that really doesn't even count). With the holidays approaching full swing I feel anxious about making the right choices for both food and drink.

I admit to being rather annoyed that for the last year my weight stayed the same regardless of when I was drinking, cutting back, eating salad, eating burgers, working out, working at my desk - feeling discouraged at that aspect lately, like no matter what I do I neither gain nor lose. Just stay the same.
  • Michieb125
    Options
    Waving to all after reading lots of posts on how you are incorporating LA into your lifestyle - I think we can all relate to the struggles and wins.

Over the weekend, I reviewed what strategies worked well for me earlier in the year. I did best when I planned ahead to have wine only 2 times a week. This was very doable and my log shows I was able to achieve this goal for almost 7 months in a row. I really would like to start that pattern again after relaxing too much. Yesterday, I was committed to being AF and then a (recurring) family issue encroached on my whole day and my anxiety went through the roof. I was already very tired and decided to have a 1/2 bottle of red wine (small individual bottle) to unwind and logged it. Luckily I did sleep all night.

How are you spending the holiday week? Some may be experiencing grief or loss, while others might be cooking for your family or preparing to travel. What do holidays bring up for you? Please share only if you are able!

Whatever it is, may we all use self-care strategies to maintain our personal priorities for our own physical, spiritual, mental and emotional health, whatever that means to each of us….and stay safe!

AF - 5
    A - 15
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    It's kind of crazy to me how easy it is to fall back into bad habits. After feeling pretty great mentally and physically when focusing on making the right choices, the last 3 days were right back to old times - only stuck to my goal of no more than 3 one day this weekend (and technically it was 3 and a half so that really doesn't even count). With the holidays approaching full swing I feel anxious about making the right choices for both food and drink.

I admit to being rather annoyed that for the last year my weight stayed the same regardless of when I was drinking, cutting back, eating salad, eating burgers, working out, working at my desk - feeling discouraged at that aspect lately, like no matter what I do I neither gain nor lose. Just stay the same.

Oh I feel this!!!!
  • Womona
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I have been drinking mindfully for the last month or so.

If I want wine, I keep it to one small glass. Not drinking alcohol Monday to Thursday. I didn't think I could limit my intake because I was a daily drinker for far too long, but I have been able to drink mindfully and it's working very well.

Cheers!

That’s such an amazing transformation for you. I get sucked into the daily drinking routine pretty easily, but you have found the discipline that escapes me sometimes. I’m so inspired!
  • Womona
    Options
    2nd day AF! Finally. I had 2 large drinks on Saturday, and my “fat pants” are getting snug, so I’m AF until festivities start Wednesday night.
  • xbowhunter
    Options
    AF - 10
    A - 10
  • Michieb125
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @2timesacharmmfp - So true and frustrating how it can take us days, weeks, or months of practicing discipline without seeing results. But we can keep going forward!

@Womona way to go on AF this week! And congrats on the big win at your tennis match! You must keep us posted on the ballroom dancing! I love to watch the pros on DWTS :).

@lmlmrn enjoy your granddaughter, and happy sewing! Rural life sounds like a BIG change. Good luck on finding the best beef bones :). I do like the huge beef stock jar from Costco lol. Lasts forever but not the same as making your own.

@xbowhunter great introspection on your part. We CAN move from daily drinking into a more mindful (and enjoyable) experience. Goodbye to those past headaches, body aches, fog brain, and low energy!

Last night we ate cake and ice cream for my daughters birthday with wine!
    Due to my long Mediterranean vacation, my AF counts for this month are completely opposite from what my regular goal is.
    AF now until Thursday!

We will definitely will be faced with many food and drink choices over the next several weeks. I am going to get back to walking and my gym classes to manage stress and keep the calorie burn in check.

• forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @lmlmrn ...for your marrow bones, have you tried any of the Amish in your county ?? Somewhat of a closed community, but once you make friends, they are the loveliest people. They built me a huge pole barn with an attached furniture stripping room for my antique business in Southern Maryland. Quality workmanship.
    End of Summer each year for decades I would drive over the river & order a turkey for Thanksgiving, and pick it up on Tuesday, ready to cook. Today in DaBurgh I have a grocery store bird trying to thaw in my fridge...definately not the same.

Thursday I'll open a bottle of Citra Trebbiano to go with the bird, and not give a hoot that it's not a $50 bottle or that
    [ over time ] I'll finish it all myself. LA went well in October, and for the beginning of this month. Time to be "bad" for a while.

May y'all spend the holiday with people that are special to you, and eat way too much turkey. 🦃
  • Womona
    Options
    Another AF day. I’ve also been concentrating on getting in enough protein, and avoiding my nice bready carbs.

Remember that old line “nothing tastes as good as thin feels?” Well, I’d modify it a little now: “no wine tastes as good as my pants fitting feels”

Tomorrow is wine night at work, and more people will be there than normal to kick off the holidays together. So I’ll definitely have some,but still need to be mindful of what I’m eating. I wish Thanksgiving wasn’t such a treat- laden meal. Between all the yummy sides and the homemade pies, it’s really freaking hard!!!
  • xbowhunter
    Options
    AF - 10
    A - 11
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Still not drinking and not counting either. I feel pretty good. I am indulging in the Trader Joes's dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Those are better than booze for me.

BTW I did start to get arthritis and A LOT of stiffness and not drinking gave me a huge improvement. I want to say I went from 80% discomfort down to 5% now.

@Womona congrats on your tennis accomplishments!

Everyone have a great and enjoyable (and mindful) Thanksgiving with no A or very less A!
  • Michieb125
    Options
    @globalhiker - you are really on a streak with LA or no A this month, so incredible. Congrats! Love those chocolate PNB cups too.
  • Michieb125
    Options
    Going into the holiday this week, I have felt extra tempted to imbibe with the wine for celebration sake (anticipation). This is my first LA experience that I will be going through the holidays with LA and it is interesting how I noticed I am so programmed to automatically start reaching for a glass or two.
    Yesterday, I intentionally stopped at a store and picked up a bottle of champagne, but also fever trees, cranberry fizz drinks and have some Stella 0.0 on hand. The NA choices are in my arsenal for this weekend.

I need to manage my stress a bit better so heading to a Zumba class.
    May you find your resolve and have a safe and blessed LA holiday everyone!

AF - 6
    A - 16