The Quinoa Mystery.....

Options
So I've heard this mentioned in other posts and I'm not sure what it is? Some type of grain, seed, fiber source? How do you use/prepare it? What you do put it in? Where do you even find it? Thanks!!!

Replies

• glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's a grain but high protein (has carbs too), great for veggies. People replace rice etc with it, kinda like cous cous...
  • SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    It's delicious! Don't cook it in plain water though - use chicken broth!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I found it in the natural section of my Kroger.

It is lovely. I cooked it up with some pinto beans, cilantro, lime juice...it was amazing!

I would use it in place of rice usually.
  • nehtaeh
    Options

Yes, I did this.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    It's a grain. I use it like rice. You can Google quinoa recipes and get some ideas. I purchased mine at Costco, but I would imagine you can get it at a major grocery store. If it's not in the aisle with rice, it would probably be with the natural food.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. It is a complete protein. They have it at Costco or most grocery stores, or definitely at a health food store. To make mine, I use 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa.Sometimes I cook it in chicken broth for more flavor. I love quinoa!
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I'd like to make stuffed peppers with this one day.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options

The Personal Trainer that my wife and I use turned us on to Quinoa. We love it, especially when cooked in chicken broth. It hasn't replaced rice 100% yet in our diet, but it's getting there !!!
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I pick it up in the bulk section of my natural foods store, but I've seen it at some of the bigger chains as well. You can cook it just like rice with a 2:1 (water:quinoa) ratio. You don't need to add any butter or oil, it gets a nutty flavour if you toast it before cooking it, great flavour if you use veggie or chicken broth instead of water. I used it just this past weekend in place of rice with my chicken Korma. Quinoa is also great in tabbouleh.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Pretty delicious stuff. Cooks up like rice, but has a slightly nutty flavor. I definitely agree with cooking it in a broth. I use vegan "chicken" bullion cubes. Super tasty - especially when mixed in with some steamed veggies!
  • moalebri
    moalebri Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's from Peru. I have also read that it's one of the highest sources of protein available. I agree about the chicken broth- it can be a little bitter if cooked with only water. I also sometimes use those vegetable flavored bullion cubes, and after it's done I toss it with finely chopped veggies such as green onions, red/yellow bell peppers or mushrooms to give it a little texture umph. There is also a red variety- be sure to use broth or something as it's not very good made with plain water.
  • anvacarz
    Options
    Love quinoa! It's a really fast dinner too. I use low sodium veggie broth, any frozen veggies that I have on hand, beans and done!
  • ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ooooo! I think I am going to have to try it too!
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    ....also mysteriously good for breakfast. (not cooked in chicken broth-just water).. treat like oatmeal....great with apple chunks and raisens...nuts...milks... you name it.
  • ljloran
    Options
    What timing, LOL. My trainer just yesterday told me, no pasta, no rice, get yourself some quinoa. By listening to you all it doesn't sound like it's going to be such a tough transition.

I'm fairly new to MFP. Friend me if you'd like an extra fitness pal. :flowerforyou:

Lavina
  • vmusic
    Options
    it's a seed and is a complete protein...has all the amino acids in it ...I have had it as a hot side dish and a cold salad. Should be able to find it in the rice area. It doesn't take very long to cook - about 10 minutes. Great if you are trying to eat a non meat or non dairy protein ...:bigsmile:
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is the best! You can use it as a substitute for rice, as so many have mentioned. I just use water and I don't find it bitter. It has a mild nutty flavour. However, I love making quinoa salad! Make the quinoa and let it cool. Here are some recipes from my website/blog: http://vegantriathlete.com/nutrition/vegan-recipes/
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. It is a complete protein. They have it at Costco or most grocery stores, or definitely at a health food store. To make mine, I use 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa.Sometimes I cook it in chicken broth for more flavor. I love quinoa!

Thank you for saying that..............I don't understand why everyone says it is a grain.

I have no use for it though. I have tried it multiple ways and I simply do not like the stuff.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa!

My two favorite (easy) quinoa recipes:

http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/spicy-garlic-shrimp-with-kale-and-quinoa.html
    (even good without the shrimp, and I’m sure you can use chicken instead)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx
  • Caperfae
    Options
    I just cooked it today for the first time and I love the stuff.
    I sauteed some grated carrots, broccoli, onions and celery in some extra virgin olive oil to go along with it.
    Even my 5 year old laughter ate it.