Not really new but starting over

I will be 60 in a few months. I have purchased a number of online weight loss programs over the past few years and usually lose my momentum after a few weeks. At 183.1 I am at my highest weight ever so it's time for some brutal honesty and commitment.

Replies

• wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 87 Member
    Change your mindset from weight loss program to new lifestyle. Make habits that will stick for a lifetime not just temporary. Do it in small steps that will be sustainable forever rather than drastic measures that make you want to quit after a few weeks. Maybe choose 1-2 things to change each week or two… like exchanging ultra processed carbohydrates like crackers, cookies, white bread, white rice f for more vegetables. Avoid eating after your night meal. These are just some suggestions that worked for me. Remember it’s not always easy but you are worth it!
  • yptxjvs8rn
    yptxjvs8rn Posts: 1 Member
    Taking this journey one day at a time
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Welcome!

I joined at about your age (59), and coincidentally at the same weight you're at now. (For me, at my height of 5'5", that was class 1 obese.) Now age 68, this morning I weighed 130.8 pounds (narrow build), and have been within a few pounds of that for 7+ years, after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity.

If a flaky aging hippie hedonist like me can do it, anyone can do it. For sure, you can do it. It will take patience and persistence, sure . . . but it doesn't have to be a miserable slog IMO. In fact, it's better if it isn't miserable/difficult.

Like one of the posts above, I believe in well-thought-out changes in routine habits, keeping things achievable and relatively pleasant, rather than some official diet program that requires extreme (maybe unpleasant) changes in eating routine and/or punitive exercise.

If that appeals to you, one option to consider is a "tweak your eating routine" approach like is described in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That's pretty much what I did to lose weight back in 2015-16. It won't work for everyone - no one thing does - but it's an approach to consider.

Regardless of your chosen route, I wish you much success here - the results are 100% worth it in improved quality of life.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,480 Member
    A very wise man once said "I got tired of starting over so I stopped quitting. "
    good luck on your journey.
  • pmbrown111187
    pmbrown111187 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi, I will be 63 in January. I am 206lb and
    5’4.5. I need to lose 60-70lb. It is nice to have a group for support. I going to take this as journey of good health.