Exercise suggestions with back pain/possible minor injury

The last two days I've had a sudden onset of pain in my middle to upper back. It's a sharp pain when I twist or jump. From everything I've read online, it's most likely a muscle sprain or strain. Obviously, if it doesn't feel better after a few days I'll go to a doctor. In the meantime, I'm trying to give my back muscles a rest and hope it heals. I have no history of back pain.

I'd still like to burn some calories though, so I'm wondering if anybody has some suggestions for exercises I could do that won't utilize those back muscles too much. My normal exercise includes kickboxing, which is definitely out (maybe that contributed to the pain to begin with), cardio workout videos, going on walks, and some light strength training.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Walk, recumbent stationary bike? Depending on what's going on with your back, maybe swim legs-only with kickboard or on your back?

Learn Irish step dancing? (<=== That's just joking. They're supposed to keep upper body rigid. Probably the jouncing would be bad for your back.)

I feel for you - I hate it when I can't do my normal stuff. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 88 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Walk, recumbent stationary bike? Depending on what's going on with your back, maybe swim legs-only with kickboard or on your back?

Learn Irish step dancing? (<=== That's just joking. They're supposed to keep upper body rigid. Probably the jouncing would be bad for your back.)

I feel for you - I hate it when I can't do my normal stuff. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Haha, I've always wanted to try Irish step dancing! I doubt my back would appreciate it atm though ;-)
    Thank you! It already feels better today at work, just sitting at my desk and not moving around a lot.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,409 Member
    But seriously, hula dancing is great for strengthening your legs, and the legwork doesn't use your back. Many teachers teach legwork first, arms later.