trying to loose weight without family support

Options
Hard. to me it is like nearly impossible when there are no healthy choices and evryone around me are over eating. I try to not make that excuse but sieriously!! it is not impossable but it definately makes things a bit more difficult! i am done complaining :) and ideas of how to modivate family to hop on the skinny train or what????:) (we are all overweight might i add)

Replies

• skylinekt
    Options
    Set a good example for them! Ask them to join you on walks, and be sure that your grocery contributions are good ones with plenty to share! You could even offer to do the cooking a night (or a few) a week, and share your new healthy approach!!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Start your own program and make changes that are good for you. Don't preach to them. Offer to make a few meals each week. This is where you can show them healthy eating can be tasty! Good luck! You can do this
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I hear ya! I get guilt trips from my mother when I don't eat whatever she puts in front of me. Sometimes the meals she makes are 1000 calories+ ! So, I am starting to get over the 'pleasing her' mentality. I need to please me, and feel comfortable in my own skin AND set an example for my own daughter. Now I say no thanks.. and with no apology. If I don't want to eat something because it's unhealthy, that's my right. I simply say no thanks, and then make my own meal. Stop trying to please others, and focus on YOU. You're the only person that you should answer to. xx
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    /agreed. If they want to lose weight, it's their decision, and it's not your problem to preachto them. Sounds harsh, but really its the best way to go about it without losing sight of your goals- trust me. They will eventually follow by example and you wont even have noticed.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can cut down on the amount of food you buy? Making available food options healthier and possibly not cooking as much for meals? I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a good support system in place, but I'd like to think that I'd be able to work it out. Good luck to you!!
  • reneemunta
    Options
    I could NEVER depend on my husband to make good choices even with 2 Type 1 diabetic children in the home. Just because HE wanted ice cream, he didn't think it was bad to bring it in the house,

I've grown accustom to depending on myself and finding my own inner strength both while keeping my family together, and focusing on my health.
  • sommerling
    sommerling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everybody, yea it is alot trying to monotor them and if i say anything about weight infront of her or my sibblings i am busted!!!! but i will definately try to be more discreet in my efforts!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Just because you came up with some harebrained scheme to lose weight doesn't mean your family needs to make changes. Of course I'm joking about losing weight being a harebrained scheme, but try to look at it from their perspective. You've all had this pattern of interacting for countless years & food is naturally a part of that pattern, & out of nowhere you decide you want to change your part of the pattern. How easy do you expect that to be, not just for you, but for them?

Not only do you have different dietary needs now, but they have to face the all too obvious fact that you are now ready to face your weight issues head on. It's hard to stay in denial & be around someone like that.

They don't have to change just because you did. And you don't have to judge them if they don't choose what you now choose. If you are truly committed to your new lifestyle, you'll work around any & everything, including your family's lack of engagement in YOUR project.

Don't make it an issue or you'll drive an even bigger wedge between you & your family. I don't go around talking about weight loss or my health unless someone asks. Now, HERE, it's another story...;)

As the others said, just do whatever you plan to do to lose your excess weight & don't worry about them. They don't have to like it, you do. If one or more of them decides to follow your lead, encourage them as much as you can, & continue to love them as much as you can even if they don't. When you accept people as they are, that makes it safe for them to try to change.
  • sommerling
    Options
    i dident think of it like that thanks for the other perspective.:)
  • autumn20111
    Options
    Since your family needs to lose weight too, and the holidays will soon be here, maybe, just maybe, they would like a weight loss challenge. A money pot works with most people, at least for 2 or 3 wks. Then they can find their own support system...oh hey, maybe MFP???? If they agree, weigh in with a certain amount of money....then weigh in each week, same time....anyone who gains that week, they have to put another $1 in the pot. They can skip 1 weigh in, but anymore, they have to pay $2. The challenge could last for 9 wks. Just a thought for family togetherness!
  • sommerling
    Options
    That is a good idea, yea they alll need to loose at leaast 10 and my mom should drop like 100 and we all know we are over weight (obese) but the on and off healthy kicks are frustrating my mom might join mfp with me and once she starts loosing i bet evryone will wanna get healthy:) i just need to but out and let them do it.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    That is a good idea, yea they alll need to loose at leaast 10 and my mom should drop like 100 and we all know we are over weight (obese) but the on and off healthy kicks are frustrating my mom might join mfp with me and once she starts loosing i bet evryone will wanna get healthy:) i just need to but out and let them do it.
    I haven't met a person yet who successfully got all their excess weight off the very first time they tried. I think we've all waffled before with the on & off stuff, & there was really no way to predict when it would ever "stick." Rather than being frustrated, I'd interpret their on & off as attempts to do what they know they need to do.

I agree that "butting out & letting them do it" is probably best. If they initiate wanting you as a partner or something, then definitely be supportive. I've found that when you tell someone they need to do something, they're less likely to do it because if they do, you'll think it's because you told them to. It's important for people to be able to take credit for their own accomplishments.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ugh same boat here! I'm the only one who's trying to lose weight, and my mum is so overweight. She just ate an entire block of chocolate abot an hour ago. THey always stock up on a bunch of unhealthy foods as if a famine was coming, and the temptation is just lying there! Most ofthe time I fail to resist :(

THe best advice I can give is do it for yourself, which is extremely useful if you are actually unhealthy rather than just trying to get skinnier.

DO IT FOR YOURSELF hahahah :D