Hello. Let's do this once and for all!!

Options
Hi guys.. I'm 60 yr old female.. really struggling to lose my belly.. joined lots of different slimming groups but flag after a few weeks 😠 I've recently been with team RH who have given me 1900 cals and I've started walking hiking over 10000 steps a day. Lost 2lb in 3 weeks.. now don't get me wrong a loss is a loss but very disappointed. Anyway yesterday a benefit of my work in admiral is gympass and for free this subscription is free!! So even thou I've been logging food for team RH using the free version. I'm binning team RH and just going to use this from today.. I've reduced my cals from 1900 to 1400 to see if that helps and if I can sustain.
Please add me so we can motivate each other 👌 4 stone to go.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome.

I joined MFP at about your age (I was 59), part way through losing weight, when I realized that I really needed to log calories more accurately at least for a while. In just less than a year, I lost from class 1 obese (183 pounds at 5'5") to a healthy weight (mid-120s). Loss was a little faster at first (too fast, by accident, for a short time!), but intentionally slower as I got lighter.

I've been at a healthy weight for 7+ years since, now age 68. There have been some mild ups and downs on the scale in that time, but all in a healthy weight range, and all in the same jeans size. My formerly high blood pressure and cholesterol/triglycerides have been solidly in the normal range since part way through loss, and my osteoarthritis is less painful, and painful less often.

Long story short: The effort is worth it.

Three quarters of a pound per week sounds pretty good to me, even with 4 stone to lose. (That's 56 pounds, for other USA-ian readers ;) ). If the walking is new (lots more steps than before), you may be retaining some water weight for muscle repair. If that's the case, you may've lost fat that isn't showing on the scale yet. If so, the averages over more like 4-6 weeks should tell a truer story.

If you cut calories by 500, and your current average loss continues going forward, you'd expect to lose around 1.75 pounds per week, which is pretty fast. It's none of my business, but I worry when I see people wanting to lose fast, especially people around my age. I don't know about you, but I'm less resilient to all types of stress than I was in my 20s, and fast loss is for sure a stress. It limits how much nutrition we can take in, too.

Also, as you mentioned, there's the question of sustainability. Losing as much as 56 pounds is going to take many weeks to months, even if losing pretty fast. IMO, that puts a premium on keeping things sustainable so we can stick with it that long. I get wanting to lose fast, but sometimes a slow but steady, sustainable loss rate can get us to goal weight in less calendar time than an extreme regimen that involves fatigue, deprivation-triggered overeating bouts, breaks in the action, or maybe even giving up altogether. Even at 0.75 pounds a week, you'd lose your 4 stone in about 18 months. Faster than that may be fine, but that's not terrible.

To me, the big deal was figuring out and practicing new habits I could use to reach goal weight, then continue those habits pretty much on autopilot long term to stay at a healthy weight. Maintenance is just like loss, only with a few more calories to spend, to me. YMMV.

Apologies for the long philosophical essay: I'm like that :| .

Regardless of how you go forward, I wish you much success: IME, the results are worth it!
  • vbuell997
    vbuell997 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am not new here, just back. We can do it together. I am 65 and just want to get under 200, for now. That is my first goal. See you here.
  • pmbrown111187
    pmbrown111187 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this. My weight is 206.8 and 5 4.5 . Want to lose 60-70lb
  • jlboundy4986
    jlboundy4986 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes I keep reminding myself it's a process. On the not so wonderful days I tell myself to not give up 😁